shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me evaluate blue-green Namibian tourmaline

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this stone on hold from a well-known vendor on PS. I am almost ready to confirm, but want to get some feedback before pulling the trigger. I've been looking for blue-green tourmaline for a while now. My questions are:

- Any thoughts about this stone? I don't see a window or a bow tie (only tilt window) with this gem, but would welcome your thoughts.
- Is this a fair price for this stone (given its origin, color, clarity, saturation, tone, size, cut etc)? I think it's reasonable, but as I have seen tourmaline pricing all over the place with different vendors, I'd like to make sure it's not overpriced.
- What do you all think about Namibian material in general?(I don't know much about Namibian stones, but I have Mozambique and Afghan tourmalines.I think I read in an older thread that some people thought Namibian stones generally tend to be darker and greyer than Mozambique or Afghan tourmalines, but on the other hand Namibian stones seem to be popular with other PSers. I've also seen some photos of what look like beautiful Namibian tourmalines on PS.)

Specs:
2.4ct Namibian Blue Green Tourmaline, Eye clean, no treatments, 9.25x8.78x5.16mm
Price: $985 ($410/ct)

Other comments:
It is blue-green but seems to be more green than blue - personally I'd be happier with a touch more blue than the below photos show, but I'm waiting for daylight hand shots before deciding.
If I get this one, it would mean waiting even longer until my existing stones are set. However, I haven't seen many clean teal/blue-green CS in the market recently at a price I could afford, so I don't want to let this opportunity slip by.

VENDOR PHOTOS:

light box shot
2015-08-02_01.jpg

Indoor fluorescent hand shot
2015-08-02_01_0.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aah, it looks very appealing to my inexperienced eyes. Love the color and cut. It will be good to indeed see some daylight pics though.

I feel it will be worth breaking your ban for and the pricing seems very reasonable. It's a very reliable vendor too. Do you have any ideas on how you would set it, as this shape is more 'difficult' to set compared to shapes like rounds, cushion etc.

Happy decision making Mochiko :wavey: I don't think you can go wrong on this.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw that stone and thought it was very nice for my untrained eyes, for its colour, shape and cut. However, it was out of my reach due to existing commitments. I hope it goes to a good home within the PS CS community.

DK :love:

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
More comments from more untrained eyes, but I think it's beautiful - I especially like the second photo. Wow!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore this stone! I saw it and was very tempted, especially after I saw the in-hand pics, as they show morw blue than the first. I would say go for it, but agree that daylight pics should help confirm your choice. So glad that it might go to a PSer!!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I neither have the eye to really evaluate stones on pictures nor do I know pricing, so can only give my general thoughts based on my one purchase.

I find that Nambian tourmalines are very difficult to photograph. Mine was accurately described as medium dark but much nicer than the original vendor picture led me to believe. So you may need to go a lot on vendor descriptions and trust for what they are saying they see. While mine is blue-green, my (amateur cell-phone) pics have a hard time picking up the blue...some pictures show a very green stone and while at times it can flash more blue, it typically looks more green in photos and at best a teal-green.

I just took a picture of it with my tsav to see if that helps your decision making and to make a liar out of me, you can now see the blue. Below is another picture (taken indoors with no natural light). The color dominance shifts noticeably depending on the light (but as a fan of the personalities found in color change/shift stones, that is a big plus for me).

I love my Nambian tourmaline so much that I just bought a larger one which hasn't arrived yet. (I am hoping it will be different enough from this one in order to justify keeping). If the fact that I really admire your stones means similar tastes, I think a nice well cut Nambian belongs in your collection :)

tsav_and_nambian.jpgtourmaline_to_be_set.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get it. The only drawback to that stone is, as acinom mentioned, the limitations of its shape. When he provided the hand shot in fluorescent light, that sold it for me, because stones typically look their worst in fluor, and if that's the worst it can look, then that's not bad at all!

I have a positive bias about Namibian tourmalines. In general, my favorite teal or greenish blue tourmalines come from Namibia (with the exception of the recent spate of amazingly vivid teal tourms from Afghanistan). This one you are considering looks like it could be a tad bit less saturated and a bit darker than some Namibian tourms I've seen, but I would definitely ask him about that. In other words, how much light is on the stone in the first pic and whether it is representative of what you would see in hand in daylight.

IIRC, I was one of the exclaiming comments on that stone... :))

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the advice. I will check with the vendor to answer the questions about the saturation and tone, but I think I may have to see this one in person. :)

The chubby pear shape isn't a problem for me as I would get a custom setting (maybe halo?). I quite like the shape, it reminds me of a leaf.

Outdoor natural light:
11224616_10153472214717230_5675620773589844318_n.jpg11057728_10153472214647230_1811818025797879403_n.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1438536538|3910140 said:
I neither have the eye to really evaluate stones on pictures nor do I know pricing, so can only give my general thoughts based on my one purchase.

I find that Nambian tourmalines are very difficult to photograph. Mine was accurately described as medium dark but much nicer than the original vendor picture led me to believe. So you may need to go a lot on vendor descriptions and trust for what they are saying they see. While mine is blue-green, my (amateur cell-phone) pics have a hard time picking up the blue...some pictures show a very green stone and while at times it can flash more blue, it typically looks more green in photos and at best a teal-green.

I just took a picture of it with my tsav to see if that helps your decision making and to make a liar out of me, you can now see the blue. Below is another picture (taken indoors with no natural light). The color dominance shifts noticeably depending on the light (but as a fan of the personalities found in color change/shift stones, that is a big plus for me).

I love my Nambian tourmaline so much that I just bought a larger one which hasn't arrived yet. (I am hoping it will be different enough from this one in order to justify keeping). If the fact that I really admire your stones means similar tastes, I think a nice well cut Nambian belongs in your collection :)

tsav_and_nambian.jpgtourmaline_to_be_set.jpg

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your input, lilmosun! I do see the distinct difference between the tsav and the Namibian. Your rings are gorgeous. I wish we could do a ring swap sometime! :lol:

That is interesting that you find it easier to photograph the green rather than the blue in the Namibian tourmaline. I may ask the vendor about this. :)

Please post pics of your new Namibian tourmaline!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, just saw the other photos he posted of the stone in daylight. No question - you would be a goose not to see this one in hand. Snap it up before someone else does!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah I am so jealous of you getting this beauty! It is amazing!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree - I think the outdoor pics show that it probably has the more blue you were hoping for...can't wait to see your pics (notice my assumption, but how can you resist after the latest pictures?) :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to get it!!! :naughty: I can't wait to see it in person. Now that I've confirmed the purchase, I am happy to share the vendor name publicly (even though most of you already know :bigsmile: ). It's from Jason Brim @ Select Gem.

Acinom, I was thinking a halo ring, platinum.., but Niel suggested yellow gold might work, too. Now I'm torn. Also, I think it's the perfect shape and size for a pendant but I want to be able to see it when I wear it.. :D

Minous, you're right, there was no question after seeing the outdoor daylight pics. Thank you for your advice about asking Jason on the saturation and tone. His answers helped to put my mind at ease.

For posterity's sake and to help any others evaluating photos of Namibian tourmaline in future, here is the additional info that Jason shared:

1- he estimates that the color is green 70/ blue 30%. No secondary modifiers (no yellow, grey etc)
2. strong medium tone. No extinction. Bright and colorful stone under almost all lighting conditions (color fast).
3. He believes it was cut in Israel but has no further info. It's tilt window (not a full window).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yay, so glad you bought it officially :) I've only had great experiences with Jason. He is wonderful and extremely trustworthy from my dealings w. him and from what others have said. Can't wait to see pics once you get it! :clap:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!! So glad you decided to buy it.
I saw in Jason's listing on FB this morning that it was sold and hoped you decided to buy it indeed. 8-)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1438576567|3910371 said:
Congrats!! So glad you decided to buy it.
I saw in Jason's listing on FB this morning that it was sold and hoped you decided to buy it indeed. 8-)
lovedogs said:
yay, so glad you bought it officially :) I've only had great experiences with Jason. He is wonderful and extremely trustworthy from my dealings w. him and from what others have said. Can't wait to see pics once you get it! :clap:

:D thanks Acinom and lovedogs. It's a little bit darker than I normally go for, but I think it will be beautiful. Jason will mail it out tomorrow and I will post photos once I receive it!

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm sorry I wasn't online this weekend to comment, but I totally would have told you to go for it! I can't wait to hear what you think when you get it. :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its probably moot to say this since you've purchased from him before, but I find that when Jason takes his own pics (most of the time), I find them to be quite representative of the stones. In other words, he does not use studio lighting that hides flaws or make glamor shots of stones.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you got it!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you were the one who got this Mochiko! I saw it on Jason's FB and took note. I also really like the chubby pear shape!
Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
I saw it on FB too and was very tempted. The color from the photos appears a velvety slightly blue green. I'm so glad it's on its way to you and I hope you love it in person (and if you don't... well... I might have to get it...!)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
swissmiss said:
I saw it on FB too and was very tempted. The color from the photos appears a velvety slightly blue green. I'm so glad it's on its way to you and I hope you love it in person (and if you don't... well... I might have to get it...!)
EvangelineG said:
I'm glad you were the one who got this Mochiko! I saw it on Jason's FB and took note. I also really like the chubby pear shape!
Look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Niel said:
I'm glad you got it!
SparkliesLuver said:
I'm sorry I wasn't online this weekend to comment, but I totally would have told you to go for it! I can't wait to hear what you think when you get it. :D

Thanks for the kind comments, swissmiss, Niel, and SparkliesLuver! I am very excited to get this stone, but it may take a while to save up enough for the setting. swissmiss, if I don't end up keeping it I will let you know. :naughty:

minousbijoux said:
Its probably moot to say this since you've purchased from him before, but I find that when Jason takes his own pics (most of the time), I find them to be quite representative of the stones. In other words, he does not use studio lighting that hides flaws or make glamor shots of stones.
I agree with you, minou. I bought a tanzanite from Jason last year and the vendor photos and description were extremely accurate. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too late to say anything now but I think you made the right choice. The worst look, which is the fluorescent, is quite good for a Namibian tourmaline. Price seems reasonable too. Definitely worth seeing in person.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to see the stone going to a good home, and I look forward to seeing the finished ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Chrono to check it out in various light sources. Namibians suffer a lot from extinction and can be overly grey, so good luck when you receive it. I hope it meets all your expectations. At least Jason is a reputable vendor with a solid return policy if you don't like it, but I hope you do!!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1438846461|3911775 said:
I agree with Chrono to check it out in various light sources. Namibians suffer a lot from extinction and can be overly grey, so good luck when you receive it. I hope it meets all your expectations. At least Jason is a reputable vendor with a solid return policy if you don't like it, but I hope you do!!
Thanks TL! I was worried about possible extinction and/or grey in the stone, but Jason said this is one of the rare Namibians that has neither extinction nor grey (green with blue modifier only). I am hopeful that I will love it in person. ::)

Chrono said:
Too late to say anything now but I think you made the right choice. The worst look, which is the fluorescent, is quite good for a Namibian tourmaline. Price seems reasonable too. Definitely worth seeing in person.
Hi Chrono, I appreciate your feedback regardless, as I know you have stringent standards for CS. :) It makes me feel even better about deciding to go for it! I am eagerly awaiting for the tourmaline to arrive. :naughty:

dk168 said:
Glad to see the stone going to a good home, and I look forward to seeing the finished ring.

Thanks DK. My ban is not going well... :roll: :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1438924622|3912067 said:
TL|1438846461|3911775 said:
Thanks TL! I was worried about possible extinction and/or grey in the stone, but Jason said this is one of the rare Namibians that has neither extinction nor grey (green with blue modifier only). I am hopeful that I will love it in person. ::)

Almost all blue tourmaline has some grey, and that's fine, unless it's a neon paraiba, so I wouldn't say it doesn't have any grey. It's the amount of grey that might bother you which is a different story. As for extinction, you can find indicolites that possess very little extinction, depending on if they have an open axis, or were cut properly. An overly extinct stone is not particularly attractive, and indicolites are notorious for going extinct in various light sources as well.

Cognition

Rough_Rock
That extinction might be the biggest drawback of that stone. As of the color bleed, I believe 99.99% of tourmaline with that color will bleed under incandescent light.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thought of you, mochiko. ;-) Have you received the pear yet?

tourmaline_gb_899_a.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1439490642|3914180 said:
Thought of you, mochiko. ;-) Have you received the pear yet?

:D Thanks, SparkliesLuver! How sweet of you to remember this thread. Gemfix does seem to have some nice gems but sadly I can't buy from Andrew because he doesn't ship to my country. (Maybe that's a good thing for my wallet..)

The tourmaline arrived this morning! The color is very good, but I've had such trouble trying to take accurate photos because it's been raining heavily here today and the lighting is terrible.

I will say that the tourmaline looks nice in both natural (albeit grey & overcast cloudy) light and indoor fluorescent light. The tilt window is a little bigger than I expected (might be an actual window but it's tiny) but it's really only noticeable when against a white background. You don't notice it really on the hand so I expect it will not be distracting once set.

The color is more blue than I expected (which is a GOOD thing for me), but otherwise Jason's photos are quite accurate. My camera phone picks up some grey which I don't see in real life (I only see a tiny hint of grey in natural light, and it may be due to the grey & rainy day outside). The stone is a tiny bit lighter than in my photos.

I will try to take better photos once the weather clears up.

Indoor (by the window)
2015-08-15_14.jpg2015-08-15_14_0.jpg2015-08-15_14_1.jpg2015-08-15_14_2.jpg

Indoor (in the kitchen, warm fluorescent lighting)
2015-08-15_11_2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results