shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink asscher tourmaline... how to set?

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
I know, I know... I have been pestering everybody about yellow stones (sapphires and lately chryso), but I end up being drawn into the pastel pinks...!

This is my latest purchase:
- 4.55ct baby-pink Afghan Tourmaline 9.15 x 9.15 x 7.65, untreated

sorry about the crappy pictures... it's much nicer IRL.

p1060303.jpg

p1060304.jpg

p1060303_0.jpg

p1060307.jpg

I really would like another pink ring, but I'm questioning whether or not the tourmaline will hold up to the wear and tear of being on a hand. I have a mostly desk job, but putting my hand in and out of my briefcase/purse/file drawer etc. may not be the best thing for this stone.

Thoughts?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a pretty stone, thanks for sharing!

I have some Asschers to set, and here are the designs I have in mind for them.

I love this simple Art Deco design, and am planning to have 3 rings made with different CSs. however, I may choose other designs to avoid repetition:
asscheramethyst.png
asscherelectricbluetopaz.png
grandmaasscherbluestone.png

White Topaz Traps for my Natural Blue Topaz by Bespokegems:
asschernaturalbluetopaz.png

I have paired this Lang antique design with a square with corners brilliant cut Aqua, however, the initial design has an Asscher diamond as main stone:
lightbluesquareaquamarine.png

Other design inspirations:
0ed7dddf01752b455187b044cbfa3c4d.jpg
deco_step_square_blue_sapphire_and_diamond_ringa.jpg

Have fun choosing your ring design.

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swissmiss that tourmaline is GORGEOUS! Love the soft pink color in person even more than in the vendor photos. It's so delicate and perfect. I also love the designs that DK posted, especially the bezel set first and second ones with baguettes. Yum!

Please let us know how it goes and post more pics!!!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone! I am partial to this setting.

ascher.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous soft pink! You have a beautiful stone. It will indeed look great in a ring, but you need to be a bit careful.

I have an Asscher zircon and an Asscher topaz. The zircon is set in a protective bright cut set halo.

_33630.jpg

_33631.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swissmiss, you can't go wrong with your stone and the lovely inspiration pics posted by others. I personally am partial to geometric tapered sides for asschers like the ones posted by DK. There is something about stepped down proportions like the one posted by LisaRN that make me swoon. But halos are lovely too, and as acinom points out, do tend to provide protection for the stone. :))

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
I also love sidestones with asschers. I wonder how it would look with the center stone bezeled to provide protection. Acinom your VC halo is one of my favorites :). Can one have too many halos?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swissmiss|1440620033|3919537 said:
I also love sidestones with asschers. I wonder how it would look with the center stone bezeled to provide protection. Acinom your VC halo is one of my favorites :). Can one have too many halos?

What is your timescale for setting the stone please?

I intend to set the Asscher amethyst early next year with all the stones bezel-set.

Bex

Shiny_Rock
What a gorgeous stone! Who is the vendor? The photo style looks familiar, but I can't quite place it

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bex|1440645403|3919720 said:
What a gorgeous stone! Who is the vendor? The photo style looks familiar, but I can't quite place it

I'm fairly sure it's Roger Dery, since I recently bought a stone from him with very similar vendor-style pics. But I'm not 100% positive. Just putting my guess out there :)

S

SparkliesLuver

swissmiss said:
I really would like another pink ring, but I'm questioning whether or not the tourmaline will hold up to the wear and tear of being on a hand. I have a mostly desk job, but putting my hand in and out of my briefcase/purse/file drawer etc. may not be the best thing for this stone.

Thoughts?

I have a sizable tourmaline and a desk job, but I'm very careful with it. I probably wear it once a week, and carry it to/from work in its box. You also have to consider the depth, so it might sit up a bit higher than you're used to/want. It all comes down to if you think you can be careful enough with it. Keep us posted! :)

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
dk168|1440628576|3919595 said:
What is your timescale for setting the stone please?

I intend to set the Asscher amethyst early next year with all the stones bezel-set.

Time span is within the next year. I have not been very decisive on what to do with this stone. Sometimes I look at it and think **pendant**. Other times, I'm convinced I want a double halo ring. Then I look at it later in the day and I want it bezeled. The next day, I'm thinking a baguette halo. Then I want a halo with a split shank. Then...... :wall:

I would feel badly if I kidnapped your design for your asscher. :shifty:

Bex|1440645403|3919720 said:

lovedogs identified the vendor correctly. The faceter is Roger Dery. He's so sweet and answers all my wacky questions with extraordinary patience.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1440686944|3919850 said:
I have a sizable tourmaline and a desk job, but I'm very careful with it. I probably wear it once a week, and carry it to/from work in its box. You also have to consider the depth, so it might sit up a bit higher than you're used to/want. It all comes down to if you think you can be careful enough with it. Keep us posted! :)

SL, transporting your ring in a box to/from work is dedication! You are right that it will sit up higher seeing that it is rather deep. Hmm. I'm sometimes hesitant to make it a RHR because I'm right-handed and do most of the purse digging, cabinet filing, and drawer opening with that hand.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swissmiss|1440706057|3920013 said:
I would feel badly if I kidnapped your design for your asscher. :shifty:

Nah, go ahead if it suits, that's the whole point in asking for design inspirations in the first place, to share ideas.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1440555123|3919215 said:
What a gorgeous stone! I am partial to this setting.

ascher.jpg

Love this setting. Gorgeous.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Another inspiration came from searching around PS. The problem is that I like so many of the options posted here, but I'm having the darndest time actually picking one. What do you ladies do when you can't choose?

milgrain + bezel:
briangavin_fancy1_020211-1.jpg

different sort of halo
blue-nile-heirloom-fancy-pink-micropave-halo-diamond-ring.jpg

baguette halo
joe_escobar.jpg

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
You have some wonderful inspirations already, but here are a couple of my favorite rings featuring asscher center stones:
diamond_ring_from_bonhams.jpg (a ring previously auctioned at Bonham's.)
and
asscher_ring_from_lang_antiques.jpg ( a ring previously sold by Lang Antiques.)

Good luck with your very fun project!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results