shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba in platinum or RG? Engraving or not? (Poll)

Platinum or RG? Engrave or not?

• Platinum, polished

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Platinum, engraved

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • 20K RG, polished

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • 20K RG, engraved

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Other (please specify below)

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would love to hear your opinion in this.
The amazing David Klass made a rough
casting of the ring design in platinun,
skipping the wax design.

He made the head a separate piece so
he can polish it well, and then it will be
put together by hand. The pieces are
balancing together but the head is not
attached to the shank and the stone is
not set flush down yet.

David made the rough cast so I can
determine if I love the color with the
stone. He offered to cast a 20k rose
gold ( though he said the color will be
closer to a yellow shade at the higher
kt.

This is where I need your help. Could
you please vote and/or give your view.
I do love the platinum, so it's all a
lucury 'problem'. :twisted:
I would really appreciate your help
in determining: platinum or 20K RG and
to engrave or not?
Thank you!!! :wavey:

_28659.jpg

_28660.jpg

_28661.jpg

_28662.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alloys will differ and may determine the color of the RG. Here is an example of a 20K RG ring by ERD / BE. Here against 14K RG

_28666.jpg

_28667.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I did not vote because the voting was too granular with the engraving option, which I think is completely personal.

In terms of color, I would do platinum (1st choice), or 18K rose gold (2nd choice) to bring out the glue in the stone. I would even consider 14K rose gold to get more copper. I would stay away from 20K if it looks close to yellow gold. I don't think something that looks like YG is going to do much for your stone, and I personally do not like YG (I only wear it because I have it already).

Between platinum and rose gold, I would pick the alloy that looks better on your skin. I find platinum to be more timeless, but 14K rose gold looks great on my skin.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What if you did the head in 14kt rose gold and the shank in platinum?

I also don't really see the point in doing rose gold if it's more yellow at 20kt.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I think I'm seeing things! Do some of the photos show the setting in RG or are they all of the platinum?

I think I'm leaning towards platinum but its an extremely close call - RG would look equally beautiful! And I agree with Preg, the engraving is a very personal preference so you should definitely go with your gut feeling! I personally love the smooth look of the CADs and pictures above but that's just me! :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted based on my personal preferences, which is for shiny white metal.

Good luck with the ring, whatever you decide as it will be gorgeous.

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that stone? rose gold all the way! 20K rose will be more yellow than rose, but that stone will do the color justice. As said engraving is personal and I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of it on my own personal rings. I think you should get what suits you best in that area.

I do love the look of 14K rose gold though being its more rosy but high end gold trumps that love....lol

But I'm voting VERY HEAVY for rose gold. :lickout:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, 20K RG is so yellow that you might as well do 18K YG at that point. I don't like the overly coppery look of 14K RG so I am voting for a softer peachier 18K RG. I would probably skip the engraving but will reconsider if there's a picture of what it'll look like. :cheeky:

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, Acinom. :wavey: My vote is for (in no particular order) 18K rose or platinum and no engraving. The pictures you posted are so clean and simple (in a classic way, not a bad way) - yet the basket has detail that's lovely - and the stone steals the show; however, that's just my personal preference. Do you have an idea of the engraving you're thinking about though? There are a ton of styles. That might help some of us make a concrete decision one way or another.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1428380986|3857792 said:
I did not vote because the voting was too granular with the engraving option, which I think is completely personal.

In terms of color, I would do platinum (1st choice), or 18K rose gold (2nd choice) to bring out the glue in the stone. I would even consider 14K rose gold to get more copper. I would stay away from 20K if it looks close to yellow gold. I don't think something that looks like YG is going to do much for your stone, and I personally do not like YG (I only wear it because I have it already).

Between platinum and rose gold, I would pick the alloy that looks better on your skin. I find platinum to be more timeless, but 14K rose gold looks great on my skin.

Thank you for sharing your view pregcurious!!!
I always enjoy wearing white metals as they match great with my skintone. RG is a good match as well, while YG just does not work. RG feels special as I wear more white metals but occassionally I will feel bored wearing RG. I am always in the mood for white metals and still it's a difficult decision as I have the feeling the RG would complement really well with the stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElleW|1428382951|3857795 said:
What if you did the head in 14kt rose gold and the shank in platinum?

I also don't really see the point in doing rose gold if it's more yellow at 20kt.

Mm, that's a very wise analysis ElleW, about considering 20K RG if it's potentially close to YG in real life. My 20K ring is clearly RG in real life, but it's from a different vendor.
I tend to stay away from two-tone, but thank you for bringing it up!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1428391581|3857807 said:
I think I'm seeing things! Do some of the photos show the setting in RG or are they all of the platinum?

I think I'm leaning towards platinum but its an extremely close call - RG would look equally beautiful! And I agree with Preg, the engraving is a very personal preference so you should definitely go with your gut feeling! I personally love the smooth look of the CADs and pictures above but that's just me! :lol:

You are indeed seeing things Ricezo: the photo's show the platinum rough cast with the cab on top of it. 8-)
Thank you for chiming in! I really appreciate the input I get from fellow PSers like yourself. It helps me to sharpen my mind. And it feels good that you like the rough smooth version as is. I do as well. I have also become an engraving addict though since PS. I cannot resist a niece piece of engraved metal...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1428392456|3857808 said:
I voted based on my personal preferences, which is for shiny white metal.

Good luck with the ring, whatever you decide as it will be gorgeous.

DK :))

Ah, it must be great to have a strong preference in jewelry and be that decisiveDK!
I already love the ring as is, so that is a good sign.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1428406153|3857834 said:
For that stone? rose gold all the way! 20K rose will be more yellow than rose, but that stone will do the color justice. As said engraving is personal and I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of it on my own personal rings. I think you should get what suits you best in that area.

I do love the look of 14K rose gold though being its more rosy but high end gold trumps that love....lol

But I'm voting VERY HEAVY for rose gold. :lickout:

Thank you for this heavy vote Arcadian :lol: 14K would be just a bit too pinkish/rosy, but anything above that could indeed work.
I have to let it sink in. I love reading all the different opinions. Unfortunately I have to make up my own mind in the end :twisted:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1428406491|3857836 said:
Personally, 20K RG is so yellow that you might as well do 18K YG at that point. I don't like the overly coppery look of 14K RG so I am voting for a softer peachier 18K RG. I would probably skip the engraving but will reconsider if there's a picture of what it'll look like. :cheeky:

Chrono: thank you for sharing your opinion!! It means a lot to be. 18K is indeed a good option. I will post a pic of the engraving I am thinking of.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1428407322|3857838 said:
Hi, Acinom. :wavey: My vote is for (in no particular order) 18K rose or platinum and no engraving. The pictures you posted are so clean and simple (in a classic way, not a bad way) - yet the basket has detail that's lovely - and the stone steals the show; however, that's just my personal preference. Do you have an idea of the engraving you're thinking about though? There are a ton of styles. That might help some of us make a concrete decision one way or another.

Thank you Sparkliesluver!!!
This is the engraving I love as the scrolls remind me of the waves of the sea:

_28677.jpg

_28679.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Now I'm leaning towards Rose gold! I'm so indecisive so glad this is not my decision to make! :lol:

I went to buy new heels on the weekend and was so indecisive I ended up buying two pairs of the same in different colours! Too bad you can't make two rings!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there enough room to engrave the shank? They look very thin as they are.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo said:
Now I'm leaning towards Rose gold! I'm so indecisive so glad this is not my decision to make! [emoji38]

I went to buy new heels on the weekend and was so indecisive I ended up buying two pairs of the same in different colours! Too bad you can't make two rings!!
When I was a little girl, my mother bought a pair of expensive heels. She found out a few weeks later that the shop was having a half-off sale, so she went back and bought the same shoes but in all the other colours available! She justified it to my dad that it was to lower the average price of the shoes that she bought so she got a better bargain overall [emoji16] [emoji23]. I tried that argument on my husband years later and he just laughed...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1428412375|3857896 said:
ricezo said:
Now I'm leaning towards Rose gold! I'm so indecisive so glad this is not my decision to make! [emoji38]

When I was a little girl, my mother bought a pair of expensive heels. She found out a few weeks later that the shop was having a half-off sale, so she went back and bought the same shoes but in all the other colours available! She justified it to my dad that it was to lower the average price of the shoes that she bought so she got a better bargain overall [emoji16] [emoji23]. I tried that argument on my husband years later and he just laughed...

Haha I do this! Fortunately for me my dh is OK with this line of reasoning. :appl:

Acinom, that is a tough decision. I prefer platinum for my rings but that is my personal taste. All different colors look amazing on you so that is what makes this so darn tough. You just cannot go wrong because no matter what you choose it will look stunning on you! What do you think would be the most versatile for you?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
mochiko42|1428412375|3857896 said:
ricezo said:

Bahaha I love this! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all!!!

Ricezo: oh really? Whahaha, and thinking you were so decisive in regard with this project :lol:
Oh, I can so relate to the shoe thing (as well as the ideal cardigan thing and perfect bag thing) :lol:

Chrono: good question! David seems to be confident there is enough room for engraving though.

Mochiko: whahaha :lol:

Missy: thanks for your kind words! A white metal is the most versatile as I am always in the mood for white metals 8-)
It's indeed wise to establish that the ring will be beautiful no matter what choice I make...
The non color matching sapphires ring in bypass setting will also be engraved, so perhaps that could be a reason to not engrave this one :confused:

Shulaibaoma: thank you for sharing your helpful opinion.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tried to base my decision on what I already have. The bypass ring will be made in platinum, not sure about the yellow zircon ring yet as I need to see some pics first.

Mmm, it does not really help my decision, other than establishing that my greens and blues are all set in platinum...

_28687.jpg

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
Acinom, I was thinking along those lines. Since you have a pariba tourmaline in platinum already, I would go for 18k rose gold for variety.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LuckyKelleyK|1428429672|3858062 said:
Acinom, I was thinking along those lines. Since you have a pariba tourmaline in platinum already, I would go for 18k rose gold for variety.
This^! :appl:

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I think that RG will make the paraiba look more green When i set my tiny paraibas a in 14k RG they looked greener (see my profile pic). I like the greener look personally. Didn't occur to me to use 18kt RG. So my vote is 18k RG to get a different look from your other Paraiba Either way the ring is going to be spectacular

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a more antique look, then white metal with engraving. For a more modern look, smooth rose gold. I don't think you can go wrong with either, although I'm a rose gold fanatic. :naughty:

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
My vote is smooth rose gold. I am not much for engraving generally - so take my opinion for what it's worth!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results