shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay, Which IDJ Setting?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So I can't decide which halo for the Gene ruby. I know it's another halo, but frankly, I likes them muchly. :bigsmile:

The 5 x 7 ish size makes the math work out to either 8 11 pointers or 10 .7 pointers.

IDJ has helped me narrow it down to these 2 options.

The smaller halo is well, smaller. And the bigger halo has prongs on the outside of the diamonds. I have a round halo like that, and the outside prongs don't bother me, but I'm wondering if they are distracting on the oval shape? The smaller halo is more graceful, but I have one that is the same, but with .5 pointers and it look delicate. Which is nice, if you like that classy sort of stuff. :bigsmile:

So, I can't decide. What do you think? Or should I just toss the whole thing and hope some other kind of halo exists out there? I don't like tiny halos on tiny stones, and that seems to be all that's out there.

Also, pretty sure it will be white gold.

generubyshot.jpg

11point_halo.jpg

oval_8.jpg

austinj

Shiny_Rock
This style might be cool. May be more expensive though. But picture it without the side stones and just the halo. I think it's pretty and different!

_31420.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the soft roundness of the second halo.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
That is gorgeous AustinJ! :love: But I think that stone is at least a 6 x 8 or even an 8 x 10. If it was scaled down to fit a 5 x 7, I suspect it I wouldn't be able to see the marquis stones very well.

It is a stunning setting, though, thank you for the eye candy! :cheeky:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1435163107|3893546 said:

I know, I'm kind of leaning toward it. Also, under $1K so priced nicely. But not much finger coverage.

You see my conundrum. ::)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1435163220|3893549 said:
But not much finger coverage.
So says the lady who complained about her pear ring having too much finger coverage in Hangout. :tongue:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the second and think that will look like perfection. Honestly, the first option makes me unsure where to look in that the size of the halo diamonds draws my eye away - save that setting for a less beautiful center stone and let that ruby be the star attraction. :wink2:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! I love the elegance and flow of the second halo.

S

SparkliesLuver

The first example almost gives a bit of a flower impression to me, which I'm not sure about. Despite being smaller and more delicate, I prefer the cohesiveness of the second option and how it lets the main stone take center stage.

Can't wait to see it finished! :)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1435164039|3893561 said:
But not much finger coverage.
So says the lady who complained about her pear ring having too much finger coverage in Hangout. :tongue:

It's a pretty darn fine line, Chrono. :D

I like big coverage (always) but it makes me nervous in a single large stone (like the one in hangout) for every day wear. The halos only get worn occasionally so not so bad.

I am a complicated woman with many layers . . . I swear. :bigsmile:

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock

I know, I'm kind of leaning toward it. Also, under $1K so priced nicely. But not much finger coverage.

You see my corundum. ::)

Fixed it for ya. ;)) Sorry couldn't resist. :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your finger size?
Do you have a hand shot of the ruby on your hand so we can see the size reference?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1435167074|3893597 said:
What's your finger size?
Do you have a hand shot of the ruby on your hand so we can see the size reference?

I can do better than that. :naughty: Here's a shot of my Gene color shift sapphire in the same halo with 5 pointers (the ruby would have 7 pointers) on my actual (size 7) finger.

Next to it is my round halo with 10 pointers and outside prongs.

Here's the original thread for essentially the same :doh: ring.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brown-pinkish-orange-not-an-fcd-an-fcs.203513/?hilit=fcd%20fcs']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brown-pinkish-orange-not-an-fcd-an-fcs.203513/?hilit=fcd%20fcs[/URL]

_31424.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
tourma-guy|1435166938|3893595 said:

You see my corundum. ::)

Fixed it for ya. ;)) Sorry couldn't resist. :D

LOL :lol: Thanks, I appreciate it. Your correction rocks! (see what I did there? :naughty: )

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't look small to me. I hope it's the same setting?

_31425.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1435167881|3893613 said:
It doesn't look small to me. I hope it's the same setting?

It's the same casting company, IDJ would put in their PS quality stones, same as the setting in the picture. The only difference is that the picture is of a halo with .5 diamonds, and this new one would be made with .7 diamonds, so tiny bit larger (but still same casting co, still IDJ).

Long story short (I know, too late for that), yes, same-ish setting.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm starting to lean toward the more delicate halo, because of what you guys are saying.

Okay, to fully explore it, here is the sapphire (6.8 mm round) with the 10 pointer halo. Now imagine those are 11 pointers, and there's only 8 of them. Is it eating the ruby? Also, the round is on a size 8 finger. The outside prongs don't bother me too much on the round, it looks like a flower.

But see how the big diamonds make the stone look bigger?

I'm starting to think we need a halo size/finger size/stone size reference thread. :think:

_31428.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the proportions of your blue sapphire ring. The shank being not line-thin also adds finger coverage.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could be way off here, but I would say that you hit the sweet spot with the proportion of the sapphire to the diamonds. To me, the sapphire holds its own because of its color and its size; if diamonds were any bigger, they would overwhelm the sapph imo.

I think you've hit on something with the chart for proportion of halo size to stone size to finger size. It would help a lot of us less than seasoned vets. I know what I like when I see it, but I could never know it by point size of diamonds alone.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1435169116|3893631 said:
I like the proportions of your blue sapphire ring. The shank being not line-thin also adds finger coverage.

Actually, the ring is just crooked on my finger, it's straight across. The one I am proposing at the top of this thread does have the off-center shank, though. So do you think that would add to the perceived size? Didn't consider that . . . :think:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the shank of the blue sapphire ring is thicker/wider than the pink ring?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1435170568|3893643 said:
I thought the shank of the blue sapphire ring is thicker/wider than the pink ring?

Oh, yes, it is. Is that what you meant? :oops: I'm so distracted, I read it too fast. I thought it said "not being in-line". Now that I'm calmer, that's not what it says at all! I get excited and I get dyslexic, this has happened before. :nono:

You're right, maybe my problem is the shank being so thin?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it looks a bit empty with the shank being so thin, almost as though it isn't there, so there is "less" finger coverage.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1435171266|3893656 said:
I thought it looks a bit empty with the shank being so thin, almost as though it isn't there, so there is "less" finger coverage.

You know, Chrono, I think you nailed it! :clap: It's like the band just disappears, and that what makes me think it is "too delicate".

I'm going to ask IDJ about a thicker band, maybe they can manage that somehow.

On the picture from the casting company, you can't tell it's a knife edge (is that the name?) band, but in my RL pictures you can tell it's very skinny.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the second setting, and can't wait to see the finished ring.

DK :))

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer the second setting. I think the proportions of your Blue Sapphire to the side stones is what works so well in that setting. It looks a bit like a flower but doesn't take away from the center stone. IMO that wouldn't be the case for the new ring, the side stones are too big in proportion to the center stone for my taste. HTH

GREAT CS by the way!!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
ILander - what beautiful rings you have! I also love the proportions of the second option and your two sapphire rings.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the second setting too. Or I was going to suggest a lotus halo like Dori's ring but that might cost quite a bit more. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems: Do you have a link to Dori's halo? I don't know what that is . . . :confused:

Okay, still need help, please! :wavey: :wavey:

You all talked me into the second one, I think that's the way to go.

Luann got back to me and said that the shank can be altered, but she wants a picture so she can get me a price.

I don't know what that would be? I think I'd like a pave band, but not sure I can afford it. Also don't know how big to make the shank (if I go with plain) which tapers to teeny.

Here's a link to the spec page on Adwar, plus more pics from that page. Kind of at a loss here . . .

Should I go through Adwar catalog and find shanks I like? Or bands?

http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/24691L/view

24691l.jpg

24691l-1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results