shape
carat
color
clarity

Nicest Aussie Sapphire I've ever seen . . .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something's not right or perhaps I'm just not familiar with Cartier rings.
1. Sapphire is very dark.
2. Report is new-ish, dated April of 2014 (surprised the original owner is selling it so soon).
3. Does Cartier typically have hollowed out settings?
4. Interestingly, there isn't a picture of the Cartier hallmark...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a "black hole," especially in the angle from the side. That's a really black stone. Despite the fact that the ring may or may not be Cartier, it's a beautiful setting and deserves a better gem.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of Aussie sapphires are that dark, they are almost black in some lighting and flash an amazing electric blue in the sun and under some lights so that part of it is correct, no idea about the hollowed out band however, I defer to everyone else about it being an authentic piece.

Aussie sapphires even the best ones IMHO do not look like Burmese ones.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmm a little dark for my taste - would be suprised if it were genuine Cartier... :confused:

Australian sapphires are quite often but not always dark. It seems a case of the most commonly sold ones are dark, sold to tourists etc hence we have gained the reputation for only dark or parti-coloured sapphires; but I've seen some beautiful blues that rival Burmese stones it's just they are obviously much more rare and very poorly marketed.

I asked a miner once what happened to all the Lava Plain Blues and he said they were quickly sold directly to Asia for top-prices and from there make their way "rebranded" into the world market so most people never know they are actually Australian. :nono:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1412813973|3764587 said:
M
I asked a miner once what happened to all the Lava Plain Blues and he said they were quickly sold directly to Asia for top-prices and from there make their way "rebranded" into the world market so most people never know they are actually Australian. :nono:

Good story. I guess we should not be surprised, but that is disappointing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results