shape
carat
color
clarity

New Mahenge Spinel question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I reserved this emerald cut spinel, it's 8.3 x 6.2mm, do you think it's too small or short for these types of setting?

ref 10503.jpg

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s perfect, but 7 to 9 mm is my sweet spot so naturally I''m going to think that.
2.gif

Some of it depends on your finger size and proportions (both with your fingers and with the other stones in the setting) but really I think those dimensions should be just right. If the central stone were much bigger then the rest of the setting might look too crowded or overwhelming, IMO.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 4:56:24 AM
Author: Liane
I think it''s perfect, but 7 to 9 mm is my sweet spot so naturally I''m going to think that.
2.gif

Some of it depends on your finger size and proportions (both with your fingers and with the other stones in the setting) but really I think those dimensions should be just right. If the central stone were much bigger then the rest of the setting might look too crowded or overwhelming, IMO.
My finger size is around 5, I was thinking if I should hold out and wait for a longer and slightly wider one, like the 3 ct emerald cut that''s in your temporary care now.
9.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it will look great. I love the colour and shape - a very nicely don emerald cut.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
These styles with multiple step sides probably work so well because the center stones are slightly more elongated. Therefore I think the stone you posted would work better if it would have only one step cut on each side as it''s already a wide EC.

But another idea comes to mind that you might like - if the shank would taper in width (kind of like with a split shank, but not as much) and if the step cut stones of varying sizes would be channel set in it - graduating in size of course. It would work with a wider stone and still look very similar to the style you''re after. Kind of like THIS, but with fewer sides (which increase in size towards the center) and without rows of round melee on the edges.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 5:59:22 AM
Author: ma re
These styles with multiple step sides probably work so well because the center stones are slightly more elongated. Therefore I think the stone you posted would work better if it would have only one step cut on each side as it''s already a wide EC.

But another idea comes to mind that you might like - if the shank would taper in width (kind of like with a split shank, but not as much) and if the step cut stones of varying sizes would be channel set in it - graduating in size of course. It would work with a wider stone and still look very similar to the style you''re after. Kind of like THIS, but with fewer sides (which increase in size towards the center) and without rows of round melee on the edges.
Thanks for your suggestion Mr MaRe and thanks for your reply LD.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one with 2 sidestones on each side might work. It probably doesn’t have enough height to work with the second picture with 3 sidestones on each side. Both are very nice designs for a step cut center stone.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems, it''s freaky, but my new Mahenge spinel is exactly that size - 8.3x6.2mm. I like larger stones and wear a size 7, so like you, I was worried about it being too small. However, I think the settings you have posted would look great with that size and would give you terrific finger coverage! You may have already seen them, but I posted some settings on my thread, and I don''t look at them and think, "Gee, my stone looks really small." Of course, if you want to go bigger, let me be the first to enable you, lol!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice color on my monitor. And I like the size and the cut.

I think it would work in those settings IF the sizes of the side stones are correct! Congrats!!
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't read all the responses (sneaking on PS at work), but I look at ring jewelry in a different light than just proportions. No matter how small the stone is, how your fingers are, etc. . . if it's an intense to vivid color, it would look great. Stones with strong color saturation, IMO, always look good no matter what the size, and if they're huge, well, that's all the better!! LOL!!

I love that style setting and the telescoping of the baguettes, very art deco inspired look, which I love. Lovely stone, and it will make a gorgeous ring.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, Cell, SH, TL: Thank you for your suggestions and views, I think I''ll get this one, not sure when I''ll be able to set it though but the art deco look will be my top choice.
4.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Lovely spinel!!!

I think the settings would look great with your stone of those measurements!

My FLY radiant diamond is about 9x7mm in a similar setting with 2 baguettes on each side and I think setting a stone with close proportions would suit it quit well :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!!! Talk about great minds think alike!!!!

My spinel is with my jeweller being made in this exact same setting
9.gif
Is yours too small? Well if yours is, then mine definitely is because my spinel is just over 7 x 5 and the sides are 4 x 2, 3 x 1.5!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 2:14:06 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

9.gif
Is yours too small? Well if yours is, then mine definitely is because my spinel is just over 7 x 5 and the sides are 4 x 2, 3 x 1.5!
Yes I agree with you absolutely!
9.gif

Please do post photos when you get your ring back from the jeweller.
30.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 3:45:27 AM
Author: Lovinggems

Date: 12/3/2009 2:14:06 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

9.gif
Yes I agree with you absolutely!
9.gif

Please do post photos when you get your ring back from the jeweller.
30.gif
It''s third in line so I''m afraid may not be until after Christmas.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 7:20:04 AM
Chrono, Cell, SH, TL: Thank you for your suggestions and views, I think I''ll get this one, not sure when I''ll be able to set it though but the art deco look will be my top choice.
4.gif
Please post photos of this lovely stone when you get it!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
MT thank you!

LD I''m patient.
11.gif

SH I wish I could, camera is broken
7.gif
, if fixable it will take a couple of months.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I received the spinel yesterday
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
. The colour is neon, fluro pink, kind of like the colour of a pink highlighter pen when you run over the same place two to three times.

Since it's more of a lively, vibrant colour, I was thinking matching it with princess cut yellow diamonds, like this picture, honest opinions please and do stop me if you think I'm going crazy, the idea is wacky etc.

Apologies for the photo, I don't know how to change it once posted.
17.gif

myddd.jpg

Boom

Shiny_Rock
I love the idea of the yellow diamonds. Vivid pink and vivid yellow, I think it''s a wonderful combination.

The art deco style is a great look too, but I personally would prefer a more elongated emerald shaped stone for that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 7:09:58 AM
Author: Boom
I love the idea of the yellow diamonds. Vivid pink and vivid yellow, I think it''s a wonderful combination.

The art deco style is a great look too, but I personally would prefer a more elongated emerald shaped stone for that.
Ditto. Maybe if you made the princess cut yellows in a vertical stack on each side.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Hi Boom! Thanks for your opinion, it''s much appreciated. Yes I think I need a longer and larger spinel for the telescoping diamond look.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 7:28:02 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Ditto. Maybe if you made the princess cut yellows in a vertical stack on each side.
Thank TL, did you mean like this ring? Although this is still an art deco look.

17020V (315x315).jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly!! Wow, you''re a good mind reader!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 7:37:05 AM

Date: 12/9/2009 7:28:02 AM

Thank TL, did you mean like this ring? Although this is still an art deco look.
I love that one!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
LG-I think it would be a wonderful combo! I have a pair of earrings that are set in all YG with vivid yellow and pink sapphires that are beautiful---I''d say go for it :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 7:47:33 AM

Date: 12/9/2009 7:39:11 AM
Exactly!! Wow, you''re a good mind reader!!
I found this gorgeous ring photo a couple of days ago, courtesy of Lady D''s link. I''m not sure how it''ll look in pink and yellow though.

http://www.bentley-skinner.co.uk/
Your link only goes to their home page.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results