shape
carat
color
clarity

My Sugarloaf Amethyst has been Cut!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

I''m SO excited...this will be my first gemstone purchase!!!

Inspired by THIS ring, spotted at the January PS GTG, and megeve''s sugarloaves, I contacted Eric at Swala Gems about sourcing a 10mm square sugarloaf cabochon. I just received an email from him today that it is cut and ready!

She''s a heated African Amethyst, 4.13 ctw, 10x10x7 mm, Eye Clean with an Excellent cut. The color is just beautiful, and I couldn''t be more excited!

Vendor Pic:

sugarloaf amethyst.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Was wondering how that got snatched up SO quick :) Its beautiful.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Yay - that was quicker than I thought! Gorgeous color! So how are you thinking of setting it?

ETA: is there any more info on the heat treatment? I don't think it's a big deal, but was just curious about it - I haven't heard of many amethysts being heat treated. I just sent an email to Gary to confirm if mine has had any treatments.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 3:36:57 PM
Author: cellentani
Yay - that was quicker than I thought! Gorgeous color! So how are you thinking of setting it?

ETA: is there any more info on the heat treatment? I don''t think it''s a big deal, but was just curious about it - I haven''t heard of many amethysts being heat treated. I just sent an email to Gary to confirm if mine has had any treatments.
I don''t at the moment, but I sent Eric an email about it earlier and am waiting to hear back on it. Will let you know when I get a reply.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mmmmmmmmmmm grape Jelllllyyyyyyy
18.gif

-A

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 4:27:02 PM
Author: vc10um

ETA: is there any more info on the heat treatment? I don''t think it''s a big deal, but was just curious about it - I haven''t heard of many amethysts being heat treated. I just sent an email to Gary to confirm if mine has had any treatments.
I don''t at the moment, but I sent Eric an email about it earlier and am waiting to hear back on it. Will let you know when I get a reply.
Hope I didn''t cause any alarm, vc. Like I mentioned, I truly don''t think it''s any big worry. I only have heard of heating amethysts to make them lighter, or to turn them into citrine or prasiolite. Not sure why they''d heat yours, which has such lovely color.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 5:22:39 PM

Hope I didn''t cause any alarm, vc. Like I mentioned, I truly don''t think it''s any big worry. I only have heard of heating amethysts to make them lighter, or to turn them into citrine or prasiolite. Not sure why they''d heat yours, which has such lovely color.
Date: 2/12/2010 5:22:39 PM

No alarm! I''m just curious!
9.gif
Who knows...may have been an error!
37.gif

Oh, and to answer your other question...I plan on getting it set in a plain RG setting but with a shank that tapers as it meets the stone. So the same shape as the TJB ring, but without the diamond...I think the amethyst can hold her own!
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Stunning ammy cab.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Looking forward to more pictures and seeing how you set that beauty.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a deep rich color. Take pics when you get it!!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Trust me, there will be no shortage of pictures of this baby when she arrives, TL!!!

Update on the "heating"...she''s actually NOT heated. Eric clicked the wrong satellite button when he put up the listing, lol...blasted technology. So she is actually a 4.17 ctw UNTREATED African Amethyst.

I have stared at the listing no less than 15 times since yesterday (not including the several attempts it took for PS to accept the picture!) and I am eagerly awaiting her arrival.

Because of the shipping costs, I may be getting an additional small gem or two added on, since right now shipping is just a smidgen less than the amethyst itself! I''ll definitely keep you posted on that, too!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t usually see cabochons that I love, but I LOVE yours! The color is perfect perfect perfect!! And, I love your choice of setting!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Yay for untreated - glad you checked! Can''t wait to see your photos when it arrives!

Have you been scouting for settings yet? Are you going custom?

Those shipping charges sound horrific!
23.gif
Definitely makes sense to round out the order with a few more....
31.gif

I''m so excited for you vc - I may have to see this one in person, lol!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 10:08:57 AM
Yay for untreated - glad you checked! Can''t wait to see your photos when it arrives!

Have you been scouting for settings yet? Are you going custom?

Those shipping charges sound horrific!
23.gif
Definitely makes sense to round out the order with a few more....
31.gif

I''m so excited for you vc - I may have to see this one in person, lol!

Haha. Yeah, the shipping is expensive. But I think all the taxes and fees and such are rolled into that number as well, so the *shipping* itself isn''t ridiculous...just the extras.
9.gif

I''m taking my time on the setting because I have a lot of expenses earmarked in the next couple of months (2 out of town weddings in May will do that) so I''m spreading the project cost out. I''m thinking I may just have the boys at Quest put her in a custom setting, though, since I know it''ll be the RHR of my dreams then.
30.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous color and love the cut!

Laura

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
It''s such a yummy colour & am sure it''ll look stunning in the setting you''ve mentioned.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yum, it''s very pretty! I just bought a sugarloaf tsavorite and a cab tanzanite from Swala for a stack ring project. I think I might end up getting an amethyst too
3.gif
18.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is just a lovely, regal colour! I can''t wait for you to get it because I LOVE your inspiration!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew! Glad you found out the amethyst has not been treated at all.
1.gif
Looking forward to see more pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results