carat
color
clarity

my first cheapo eBay stone purchase

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
should i be here|1318945712|3042659 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140618298030&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

what do you think? I was looking for a very pale (low saturation) peach stone that I can maybe set in a halo. At this price, I'm guessing it's a lab sapphire or something, but that's fine with me. Not a great cut, and could have a sizeable window, but hey, it was only $16 before shipping (I made an offer).

I saw a natural untreated spinel that same exact shape, size (a little over a carat), and same exact color for $9 starting auction, and no one bid on it. This sapphire is possibly diffused, so I would imagine you didn't get the best deal on ebay, but it's only $16.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally know this seller. He's incredibly helpful so why don't you drop him a line and ask. He will tell you honestly what it is/isn't. He has already said it's had heat treatment and it has a large window and he tends to put stones like this for sale with a very low starting bid. He's Swedish (living in Thailand - for many years) so his English is great.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
should i be here|1318959846|3042824 said:
Rats, wish I had seen the spinel. I searched and didn't come up with much.

search
"padparadscha spinel"
"peach spinel"
"orange spinel"
"pink spinel" (some pink spinels have a lot of orange in them)

For $16 though, I wouldn't lose sleep over this purchase. If it turns out to be just an ordinary heated sapphire, and not diffused, then it was a good deal.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the spinel and did not bid on it because it being so cheap, I thought it was likely synthetic and did not want to spend more $$ to verify it. Maybe you got a good deal, who knows, especially if the stone was "heat only", and since the vendor is known as honest, the sapphire is likely not synthetic, otherwise, why heat? Makes sense to inquire about other treatments, just for your interest. Thanks for the link.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just want to say thank you because after looking at your link I browsed Thomas's Ebay shop and have now made 2 cheeky purchases! :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1318960737|3042835 said:
I saw the spinel and did not bid on it because it being so cheap, I thought it was likely synthetic and did not want to spend more $$ to verify it.

Are you speaking of the spinel that I mentioned above? It's funny, but spinels that are these peachy colors are not very high in price, but the same color in sapphires makes them valuable :wacko: . Marketing is a funny thing.

should i be here

Shiny_Rock
I don't know enough about colored stones to justify spending a lot of money on them, so I thought this peachy sapphire was worth the $16 to me, even if it were lab created.

Is it considered dishonest if the seller lists heat treatment but not diffusion if the stone turns out to be diffused?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour of that stone suggests it's not BE diffused. If it were, you'd probably see a more saturated colour. For $16 if it's a sapphire it's a deal. If it's just heated it's still a deal. If it's BE diffused then it's also a deal because you've paid less than a sapphire in any event.

I wouldn't stress about it. For $16, typically you find lab created, highly treated stones. As I said before, ask the vendor. If he isn't 100% sure you can always ask him to send it to a lab but that's going to cost more than you paid for the stone so you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it.

With the exception of today, I haven't bought from Thomas for a couple of years. Prior to that I bought quite a large amount from him, most of it before it even was advertised, and nearly all with lab reports. Only for one stone was it treated when I'd bought it as untreated and I was promptly refunded without question.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is a nice, nearly 1ct sapphire at $26. With a collection of them and something like the Tripps Interchangables, you could make your own unique bracelet. Or just do the "Lone Watie" thing from The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Josey Wales: You have any food here?
Lone Watie: All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through.

PS - over time, I am going to create a string of connected stones with ones I cut. Bracelet, Necklace, Hatband... not sure yet, but I have not started it either.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1318963987|3042865 said:
crasru|1318960737|3042835 said:
I saw the spinel and did not bid on it because it being so cheap, I thought it was likely synthetic and did not want to spend more $$ to verify it.

Are you speaking of the spinel that I mentioned above? It's funny, but spinels that are these peachy colors are not very high in price, but the same color in sapphires makes them valuable :wacko: . Marketing is a funny thing.

Right... I decided to not even look at peachy sapphires.

I wonder what happens to the market if PS gurus start actively searching for dravite tourmalines...

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
George Ellis|1318983454|3043085 said:
That is a nice, nearly 1ct sapphire at $26. With a collection of them and something like the Tripps Interchangables, you could make your own unique bracelet. Or just do the "Lone Watie" thing from The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Josey Wales: You have any food here?
Lone Watie: All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through.

PS - over time, I am going to create a string of connected stones with ones I cut. Bracelet, Necklace, Hatband... not sure yet, but I have not started it either.

:praise: :lol: :lol: :wacko:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results