carat
color
clarity

Matched pairs--a challenge or madness?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

When looking for a pair of stones--what do most CS'er do? For earrings.

Email vendors and inquire for matched pairs?
Search on own and match own pair?
Buy preset?

It is crazy to expect to find a pair of either Emeralds or Tsavorites after Christmas? Preference for rounds, but I think finding anything now will be difficult.

Thanks for any advice/help.

cheers--Sharon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to Jeff White, matched pair in colour needs to be cut from the same crystal with uniform colour and saturation.

However, IMHO, a slight colour difference is not an issue with CS for earrings.

Gene of Precision Gem had a pair of pink round CS a while with a slight but noticeable difference in saturation, and he commented in the listing at the time that it should not be an issue if set as earrings.

If I were looking for matched pair myself for earrings, I would contact the cutters to see if they have roughs to suit my requirements.

DK :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have done it both ways - been lucky enough to grab a pair when a vendor was selling, and kept my eyes open and bought individually which typically takes more time.

Depending upon the size, I would ask Jeff Davies for tsavorite pairs as he periodically has some in good color. It seems like others have had good luck with Yvonne Raley, though I have never worked with her. Imo, it will be harder to find matched pairs of emeralds, unfortunately. :(sad

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Emeralds - which size??

My columbian emerald dealer had a large lot of very nice and similar ( vivid color and very good gemmy clarity) smaller emeralds - 0,30-0,50 ct in Munichshow.

Differents shapes. Price was 450 EUR pct. Should be no problem to find a matched pair or maybe three similar stones ( one reserve! :D )

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I have had good luck with Afica Gems and their calibrated stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done it both ways; try to make my own matched pair and purchase an already matched pair. There's no typical season for buying gemstones so before or after Christmas does not really affect availability. Rounds are uncommon for CS, especially so for emeralds. Good quality tsavorite are also becoming quite a challenge to find. A lot of it depends on:
1. Size (smaller sizes are much easier to find)
2. How particular you are about the colour (the closer you get to trade ideal, the harder they are to find)
3. Budget

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
I love matched pairs and even more so when they are from the same rough crystal for some reason. =)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for all the feedback. I am helping a friend find some stones for earrings...emerald is her first choice as is round shape, but we will "see".. Good thing she is patient!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thank you all for your generous help! "We" are exploring options! (online and IRL)

cheers--Sharon

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I have 1 pair of tsavorite garnets. I think they will make gorgeous earrings, love them.
emeralds are nice too, but you will spend $$$$ to get the good clarity ones

img_6672.jpg

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
I bought a pair of tsavs (~0.9ct each) at a gem show a couple of years ago, which I then had set in to earrings. The gemstone vendor I got them from told me that they were cut from rough mined in the same deposit, but not from the same single piece of rough. There are teeny differences in colour and tone when you have them right next to each other but you would never know once they're in your ears. I agree with the above posters that close enough is usually good enough for earrings!

(Ps OTL - those tsavs are absolutely STUNNING! Mine were native cut, but they were so cheap that I didn't mind too much. It's amazing how much the green is enhanced by a beautiful cut like yours though. Just gorgeous.)

Canuk-gal - if you were still interested in emeralds, then Embassy Emeralds stock matched pairs. They're pricey, but lovely, and I think a number of PS folk have had good transactions with them.
http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

Paraiba International also have a couple of matched tsavorite pairs, although they're quite small stones. http://www.paraibainternational.com/products.php?category=15

Does your friend have a particular size or design already in mind?

tsavs_afternoon_0.jpg

p1070198-2.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1421010532|3814977 said:
Emeralds - which size??

My columbian emerald dealer had a large lot of very nice and similar ( vivid color and very good gemmy clarity) smaller emeralds - 0,30-0,50 ct in Munichshow.

Differents shapes. Price was 450 EUR pct. Should be no problem to find a matched pair or maybe three similar stones ( one reserve! :D )

HI:

Prices are all over the map. :o How does one get to know "your" :lol: dealer Marlow?

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
InToTheMystic|1421484657|3817915 said:
I bought a pair of tsavs (~0.9ct each) at a gem show a couple of years ago, which I then had set in to earrings. The gemstone vendor I got them from told me that they were cut from rough mined in the same deposit, but not from the same single piece of rough. There are teeny differences in colour and tone when you have them right next to each other but you would never know once they're in your ears. I agree with the above posters that close enough is usually good enough for earrings!

(Ps OTL - those tsavs are absolutely STUNNING! Mine were native cut, but they were so cheap that I didn't mind too much. It's amazing how much the green is enhanced by a beautiful cut like yours though. Just gorgeous.)

Canuk-gal - if you were still interested in emeralds, then Embassy Emeralds stock matched pairs. They're pricey, but lovely, and I think a number of PS folk have had good transactions with them.
http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

Paraiba International also have a couple of matched tsavorite pairs, although they're quite small stones. http://www.paraibainternational.com/products.php?category=15

Does your friend have a particular size or design already in mind?

I am meeting her today and will get a better idea of what she size she prefers. (we are seeing stones IRL). She does prefer round and it is my understanding she wants studs. Outside of hoops/ or studs, I have never seen her wear another style of earring.

cheers--Sharon

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
I am meeting her today and will get a better idea of what she size she prefers. (we are seeing stones IRL). She does prefer round and it is my understanding she wants studs. Outside of hoops/ or studs, I have never seen her wear another style of earring.

cheers--Sharon

Good to know. If she didn't want to fuss around with buying loose stones, there are some ready to buy tsavorite studs in all different shapes and gold colours here: http://www.mineralminers.com/html/tsvjlry.stm

I can't personally vouch for that vendor, but the price looks to be right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results