shape
carat
color
clarity

Marks on the gold from resizing. .

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Does this only happen on white gold? both rings I've had resized have these marks on the inside and it really bothers me!

would this occur on yellow/rose gold ?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Were the rings sized up or down? I've never had marks left in white gold rings from being sized, I would assume it was sized up and whatever metal they used was maybe not gold but just solder? And I would assume they should have rhodium plated it after sizing to cover up any color discrepancies.

That doesn't look like a job well done to me.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I just had my white gold ring sized down and picked it up yesterday. There are no such marks on my ring.

I've also had my yellow gold rings sized up and there were no marks either.

Ask your jeweller. It's possible to do it without leaving those marks.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those marks are very poor workmanship. You shouldn't be able to see this. It looks like a final polish and re-plating has been omitted.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Should have known. They were sized up, but done at a high street jewellers long before I knew of PS or anything about jewellery. funnily enough my ring that was sized up by my jeweller doesn't have this- oh and I paid less there too.

makes me so angry!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler never leaves marks when he resizes, in fact it looks seamless. I had him resize a ring down over three sizes once, and you would never know

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a white gold ring do almost the very same thing..it was sized up 2.5 sizes, the marks on my ring kinda of wore off with time but I still some faint discoloring but not as much. As a FYI I have never had my yellow gold rings do this....

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
It looks just like when my dad roughly sized up his wedding band by himself with solder. Not a good job for a professional jeweler.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My guess is that it wasn't replated after the sizing and we are looking at nickle white gold. It can't be just solder - solder doesn't fill gaps (this is hammered into every apprentice and beginner metalworker).

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
forgive my ignorance- but if it hadn't been plated why can it not be seen on the outside of the ring? (i have no idea how a ring is plated so I may be asking a very silly question)

this particular ring was done by a h.street jeweller so although I'm extremely annoyed, I am not in the least surprised.

Another ring had it to a much less obvious extent but definitely there if looked for, I remembered that this was done when it was bought- an independent jeweller with a good rep. However I negotiated on cost and although they wouldn't budge on the ring itself they agreed not to charge me for sizing (or at least it was a measly amount. I'd have to check paperwork) ... I'm now in a tricky position where this has left me feeling a bit unsure of them, but they offer something I consider quite special (to me at least) and I intended to have them set the stone I am expecting from Brad soon.

but It's a 4 hr drive and so this commission would be done mostly over email/phone/Skype ... I feel a bit untrusting now.

As I say, my other ring that was done by my local jeweller who I very much trust does not have this.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
My question being (sorry, prone to waffling) is.. given this ..would it put you off working with them in future? It feels a bit like cutting corners to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results