shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge spinel and sugarloaf tsavorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My Swala stones are here!!!!!

The spinel is beautiful. It is different colors in different lightings, but I have seen the the bright pink neon color in Eric's photos more than once, and it is crazy.

So here they are

1.71 8.5 x 6.5 pink spinel

2.01 7.5x7.5 tsavorite - it is a little lighter than the others I own, but Eric told me that with my budget I would have to get a smaller sugarloaf, and that would be less saturated because of that.

Big mystery stone. I think it is a red garnet. It it is over saturated, but when you get it into the light it displays a bright red brilliance.

sugartsavspinel1.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So I showed the stones to my FI in good light, and he pointed to the spinel and said "That is a natural color, ?? They didn''t do anything to get it that way??"

sugartsavspinel2.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The Mahenge and the Burmese head to head. The Burmese has more brilliance for sure. But the Mahenge seems more "complex" in certain lightings. It gets this effect. It is kind of a subtle glow, or a sleepy quality, that is really intriguing and draws your eye to it. Any while they are both similar colors, and both shift if different lightings, the Burmese has slightly more red in it, and doesn''t do the neon pink effect that the Mahenge does in low to medium light settings.

sugartsavspinel5.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Trying to show the difference in brilliance. The burmese is more brilliant even though it is windowed.

sugartsavspinel6.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
OK swala stones, time for a group picture! The green cushion is a tsavorite I bought about 6 months ago.

sugartsavspinel7.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Last pic for tonight, the cushion tsavorite and the spinel close up.

I will check it out in the sunlight tomorrow, and try to get some more pictures, unless you are all sick of my photos.

sugartsavspinel8.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Your stones look really nice! I can see the sleepy quality and the glow of the spinel in your pics. Very cool! ( mines actually very clear)
I really like the lighter color of the tsavorite and it''s a great size too. You chose well and the garnet is a nice bonus :)

What are your plans for these?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Just checking it on my other computer screen which has better color and the color of the spinel looks awesome :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LtlF,
Very nice stones, and I like that your spinel is a tad bit sleepy. Please take photos in sunlight when you can.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! I was looking at that exact spinel and you reserved it before I had a chance. Congratulations!!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Interkitten!

The spinel does shift shades of pink like you described, it actually does better in a medium light setting. The bright lights kind of make it look like a normal pink stone. But I know that most vendors photos show the stone at it's best. The sleepy quality is really the most interesting part about it. When I put it in my jewelry box in my closet, all my other stones (except the spess) had blacked out. This one had this quiet pink glow that I have never seen in a colored gem before.

The sugarloaf will go to Sally next time I am ready to get a few of my smaller stones set, and I am sure she will come up with something great. The spinel might have to wait because I want to be able to afford the right setting for it. I am still undecided how it would look best.

OK, I am about to fall asleep at the computer. If there is sun, I will take sunlight pics tomorrow!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really beautiful stones. I liked the picture of the two spinels side by side. Congratulations!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow, gorgeous! I love the sugarloaf.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
TL - Thanks, I am really liking the sleepy quality. I snapped a few morning sunlight pics before my camera battery died, but now I got to do some boring but important stuff. I will try to get the pics up this afternoon. Charging the battery right now so I can get the pics off my camera.

cpster - thanks!!! I hope you find something else.

crasru - Thanks, I think I am going to make matching pieces with those stones.

indyLady - thank you, the sugarloaf is a fun cut.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Both are beautiful, especially in those pics with the white background!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The sugarloaf tsavorite likes the sun
31.gif

That''s all I''ve got for now!

sugarloafspineltasv15.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks MTG

Here is one for TL, in direct sunlight, it gives off this purple color in the center, I only saw this this morning and haven''t seen it since

sugarloafspineltsav14.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re all very pretty! We''ll never be sick of photos will we?? Nah-I love seeing pictures w/all different kinds of light and backgrounds and angles!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pictures!
36.gif
I like that slight sleepiness because it helps the Mahenge glow when the light condition is low, plus it''ll never black out as you''ve noticed yourself.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:18:22 PM
Author: packrat
They''re all very pretty! We''ll never be sick of photos will we?? Nah-I love seeing pictures w/all different kinds of light and backgrounds and angles!

I am glad. Right now I am trying to get a group shot of my favorite stones. The spess, as usual, is not cooperating
7.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 5:05:36 PM
Author: Chrono
Pictures!
36.gif
I like that slight sleepiness because it helps the Mahenge glow when the light condition is low, plus it''ll never black out as you''ve noticed yourself.

You are right about that. Last night, I went into my closet and took a peak at my jewelry box. The sapphire had blacked out, the tsavorite had a hint of sparkle, the spess was doing the crazy orange glow, and the spinel was just sitting there, with the subtle pink/red glow. My diamond did not outshine it in that low light setting.

I was online today looking for one of those UV LED lights.

This is going to change my master setting plan. I am no longer going to halo my sapphire, but do a more simple setting (pave band vs 3 stone) because I think I am going to wear that during the day. My spinel I am going to "glam up" because I think I will want to wear that one going out at night.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2010 10:10:26 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Thanks MTG

Here is one for TL, in direct sunlight, it gives off this purple color in the center, I only saw this this morning and haven''t seen it since
Cool shot, thanks!! I had a feeling I thought your stone had some lavender in it. Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results