shape
carat
color
clarity

Love the setting not sure if I shd love the emerald too??

Morejoy

Rough_Rock
I adore this setting it makes this ring come alive and showcases the emerald. So feminine and elegant.. Have not seen it anywhere except a Major department store "fine" jewelry department. Not sure how I shd feel on the quality of emerald at all let alone at their price point. Due to reading here i am beginning to think to look at buying stone then having mounting "made" buy reputable jeweler ... Other issue I need 2 of the same ring ( let me know if u want 2 no the story behind).

Help!!! Please!! From all that I have read here you all are the only ones that can get me to buying the right ring/emerald!

:confused:

photo-94.JPG

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
Re: Love the setting not sure if I shd love the emerald too?

I am sorry I am not experienced enough or know enough to give you advice but I am curious about the reason behind needing two of the same ring.

Did she tell you that she wanted an emerald as a centre stone? one thing I would point out that they are softer than diamonds and prone to chip/crack/break when worn on a daily basis.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is your budget, as fine emeralds are very very expensive.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Are you looking specifically for an emerald in that setting, or just for two copies of that setting to use with any stone? I would show a picture to a jeweler and ask if they have anything similar. I'm sure I've seen that design somewhere before. As for that particular emerald, I don't love it. It appears dark and lacks the glow that nice emeralds are coveted for. So I would start by finding your own stone, be it emerald or whatever else you might want, and having the setting custom-made.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

It's a very pretty setting & I'm sure someone could do something similar for you. A dept. store is not the best source for an emerald (or most likely, other stones). There are so many treatment shenanigans done with emeralds, you're better off finding something & then having it set -- take a look at some of the recommended sellers listed on PS. You'd want to have it certified by a lab too. As stated above, emeralds don't stand up well to daily wear. If emeralds haven't been specifically requested, perhaps a more durable gem would be worth looking at -- lots of beautiful things to choose from.

Morejoy

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your responses, much appreciated.

First the story of why 2 identical rings. Mom wanted to get her daughters when they turned 40 a ring with her birthstone and that of the daughter. My mom's is emerald. Mine is peridot. My sister is sapphire. I can't envision emerald going well with either stone so I came up with how about a "mother's" ring .... 2 identical rings (right hand rings) for me and my sister.

Mom's budget per ring is $2000.

I like the emerald cut along with the pave like setting od the diamonds.

I am pretty sure I got laughed out of one jeweler as I have not heard back from the salesperson. She too mentioned expensiveness of emeralds plus the expense of making the setting (I am pretty sure when she started laughing inside or was disgusted she even took the time) however she would get back to me. So far crickets.

Additional input welcomed!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Morejoy|1321130047|3060431 said:
Thank you for your responses, much appreciated.

First the story of why 2 identical rings. Mom wanted to get her daughters when they turned 40 a ring with her birthstone and that of the daughter. My mom's is emerald. Mine is peridot. My sister is sapphire. I can't envision emerald going well with either stone so I came up with how about a "mother's" ring .... 2 identical rings (right hand rings) for me and my sister.

Mom's budget per ring is $2000.

I like the emerald cut along with the pave like setting od the diamonds.

I am pretty sure I got laughed out of one jeweler as I have not heard back from the salesperson. She too mentioned expensiveness of emeralds plus the expense of making the setting (I am pretty sure when she started laughing inside or was disgusted she even took the time) however she would get back to me. So far crickets.

Additional input welcomed!

A really nice emerald with minimal treatment will cost you at least $2K/ct. There's no way you can get that size emerald for that ring. Perhaps a dark bluish green tourmaline might be a better option, or a very light pale emerald, which of course would not emulate the look of the stone in the ring. You can find nice pale emeralds for decent prices.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

What a lovely thought of your mother's! You 3 must be close & you'll always have the ring as a reminder of your mom. Cool.

You might also look at tsavorites. They're not cheap but per ct. are less than emeralds & have a similar look. They are gorgeous stones in their own right. The other sad news is that at the current wacko price of gold & diamonds, that setting would exceed the 2K budget too, although possibly something more affordable & acceptably similar could be found on eBay.

Hope you find what thrills you. Your mother sounds like a prize.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love that setting and I'm pretty sure that a PSer has one very very similar - MTG perhaps? I wish I could remember but I've been racking my brains for hours and haven't come up with a name. Let's hope she sees this thread and can chime in and help.

In terms of the Emerald, they're notoriously difficult to capture correctly in a photo but if you think the photos represent the stone well then it looks too dark for my taste and doesn't seem to have the glorious glow that you want to see. As I said, it could be the photos!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

LovingDiamonds|1321133682|3060472 said:
I love that setting and I'm pretty sure that a PSer has one very very similar - MTG perhaps? I wish I could remember but I've been racking my brains for hours and haven't come up with a name. Let's hope she sees this thread and can chime in and help.

I have that exact same thought, LD...*someone* here has a very similar setting, and I just can't put my finger on it. I don't think it's MTG, though. I could have sworn it was chictomato, but then when I looked back at the setting for her rubellite, it wasn't all that similar. Still, I'll post it here in case the OP likes it. It was from prettyjewelry2u on ebay:

file.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jstar - well remembered!

Here's Babyblue003's Umbalite Garnet. This still isn't the one I was looking for but it's close! I'm pretty sure that she got it either from a jewellery shop in the US or it was also from one of the Ebay Chinese sellers. I remember asking her at the time but I can't remember the answer (sorry that's not helpful is it?).

Babyblue003 Umbalite Garnet.jpg

Morejoy

Rough_Rock

Thank you all once again ... More options to consider ... I really appreciate all the help on both the ring AND setting. The ones you've shown are sooooooooo close! :appl:

Wondering now if reducing the size of the stone or do I then lose what I am hoping to obtain?

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

There were several settings offered by chinese ebay sellers that were very much like the one you posted, but they were all either for rounds or princesses.

Morejoy

Rough_Rock

OMG rubybeth and daintyG you rock my world!!!!!! Thank you soooooo much! :appl: :appl: :appl:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock

I have a very similar LOGR to the one you posted, only single prongs. I'm unclear on what stones you're looking for. Are you getting two emerald rings, one emerald one peridot, etc. If you are looking for peridot I have an awesome emerald cut peridot from Dan that I adore! I can't imagine having LOGR make one in the size you need and finding a peridot would be hard. Emerald on the other hand...

bbdstourm%20025.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

LOL, Kunzite...great minds! We posted within 2 minutes of each other. Nice to see that setting in real life...your ring is gorgeous!

ETA: To clarify, Morejoy, you're looking for an emerald-cut sapphire and peridot, not an emerald...right? And you're going to make identical rings so your mom can switch them out? Cool! I would take a look at Tan's stores on ebay (gemburionline, vvs1gem, and odysseygem). He's a reputable Thai vendor who sells natural stones, discloses treatments, and has good prices. Sapphires can sometimes be tricky to buy, but probably not as hard as emeralds!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Her mother's birthstone is emerald and hers and her sisters' are peridot and sapphire. I think the original idea was to have two different rings combining the mother's and daughter's birthstone (so: emerald/sapphire and emerald/peridot) but neither combination appeals to anyone who will be wearing the rings, so each daughter would just get an emerald in honor of their mother. I LOVE this idea. :appl:

I think getting 2 emeralds that are the same is going to be tricky/out of budget, but I think it will be fine if the original poster is flexible and okay with green stones in general (most people will probably assume they are emeralds).

gongli

Rough_Rock

ive been looking at emeralds too, but i've find the price range to be huge. on multicolour, the range is 13,000/ct down to 250/ct. the 250/ct is MI and would probably look nice in a modest piece for its price:

250em.jpg

gemselect has so many i cant find the highest and lowest per ct, but if you sort by price you get a range from 650/ct down to 80/ct.

http://www.gemselect.com/group/gemselect.php?Submit=Submit&RG-5=asc&p_min=&p_max=&t_49=on

the 80/ct photo doesn't make it look that great, but emerald supposedly doesn't photo that well

africagems also has such a big selection that it's hard to get a range, but i think somewhere around 500/ct to 6000/ct

http://www.africagems.com/emerald2to3carat.html

lots of other sites both on and off the sticky....

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock

Hi Morejoy...

I have no idea about this company, but there are a couple of posts (on a quick search and skim) that are positive, and I'm sure the ladies here can chime in also - but this pair is well priced I'm thinking, **and there is a little discount for the pair**. Might be worth holding them while you decide...and it could leave you with still a fair amount left for the 2 settings.

http://www.embassyemeralds.com/inde...ducts_id=420&zenid=qrsvb82m12c8bqmkt70teg5gd4

Happy hunting!

:))

eta - **to correct statement about discount - it's if an additional stone is bought - sorry

gongli

Rough_Rock

i was wondering about chromium (colombian) vs vanadium (african) emeralds.. i got a small, windowed colombian emerald from a non-PS-vetted ebay vendor for $25-30, but even though i was expecting an rather bad piece, it actually has a nice glowing green color.. it actually stands out amongst better cut stones. so ive been wondering if this has to do with it being colombian with chromium?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

rubybeth|1321201933|3060825 said:
Her mother's birthstone is emerald and hers and her sisters' are peridot and sapphire. I think the original idea was to have two different rings combining the mother's and daughter's birthstone (so: emerald/sapphire and emerald/peridot) but neither combination appeals to anyone who will be wearing the rings, so each daughter would just get an emerald in honor of their mother. I LOVE this idea. :appl:

Oh, so it's an emerald ring for her and an emerald ring for her sister? I thought it was 2 rings for her mom, one with sapphire and one with peridot. Sorry, Morejoy, could you clarify that again? Either way, it's a lovely sentiment.

Morejoy

Rough_Rock

To confirm I am looking to get 2 "identical" ( as I know the won't truly be identical) emerald with pave diamond rings to signify our mom her gift to us 40th bday (mine was already in aug my sister is coming in sept 2012).

Mom originally wanted to combined each daugher's birthstone with hers however I just couldnt see/envision a peridot/emerald or a sapphire/emerald ring combinations that would work....?

So instead I thought a mothers ring showcasing her birthstone in an "identiccal" mothers ring for both me and my sister each given on our (almost given) on our 40th bday. As stated her budget is $2000. And I fell in love with the setting as shown in my first post ... However from all that I have learned her the emerald is not the color/quality it should be ...which means I would Not get be getting a fair stone/ring for mom's budget. I don't want to disappoint mom!

I know I keep saying this thanks so much for all your input .... The rings shown wowwweee .... The "homework" done on my behalf bear hugs to you all!!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Pair of cushion-shaped green tsavorite garnets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-23ct-Best-Matched-Pair-Cushion-Green-Tsavorite-Garnet-/330409310289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cededf851#ht_2102wt_902

Another thought: do the rings *have* to match, or would it be enough to find two similar stones (like, an emerald shape for you and a round for your sister, or whatever her preference might be) and similar settings? I say this because your sister may like what you select for yourself, but she may prefer to have something slightly different for herself as a way to honor your mother. If you got both settings from the same vendor (like Lord of Gem Rings on eBay), they would/could look similar but be unique for each of you.

Morejoy

Rough_Rock

You know I have been soooooooooo fixated on the setting and how I like the emerald cut style that your idea didn't even dawn on me!! Shame on me! Essentially rings would still be mother's rings even if different shaped ..... THANK YOU FOR that suggestion terrible I didn't think of it!

Just got a quote from a retail jeweler and just about fell on the floor with prices on the emerald (they can hardly find emeralds as they don't buy conflict gems so I guess that means prices go way up).... Now I am looking for jeweler referrals from friends to see where that gets me (along with all you PSers)!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Top emeralds anywhere are going to be extremely expensive, unfortunately. Top rubies, emeralds and sapphires are just very expensive. In general, if you go with other stones, you can save quite a bit of money.

Morejoy

Rough_Rock

Again a humungus thank you to each and everyone of you who offered help ... I am still actively looking and m very close to getting the pair of emeralds as suggested ... I have an inquiry into confirm availability as well as to make the company is legit then hopeful to find a jeweler to make mount! I couldn't have come this far or learned so much without you all .... I wish somehow/someday to return such an outpouring of generosity!! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results