shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost Gem Sadness & Heart Cut Help

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
For the first time ever I have had a package go missing in the mail. I ordered two gems from Gemline/Litnon over a month ago now. All the tracking info says is shipping label created and nothing more- apparently Michael dropped it off at the post office but they never even scanned the package and what happened after that is a mystery.

Currently Michael is looking into it, and has offered a full refund if the gems aren’t found. I have no problem with how Gemline has handled any of this, service has been great- it’s just one of those random, unfortunate things.

But the problem is the gems…the beautiful gems… ;(
(vendor pics)
42218.jpg
4mm chrome demantoid

43051.jpg
15mm RDF amethyst

Moment of silence if you will...

I am particularly gutted about the heart shaped RDF amethyst (although the baby demantoid stings too!). My youngest sister has special needs and on a visit several months ago she got Very Obsessed with my little gem collection. I showed her how to look online through the PS vendors list and she found the RDF amethyst at Gemline and fell in love. She visited the photo every day for weeks, and decided that she is going to collect heart shaped gems.

I was tickled pink to buy her the ammy! I also picked her up her own gem display box, loupe and a book, and a heart cut opal that I won in a FB auction from Kosnar Gem Co, and was going to give it to her for a grad gift at the end of June when she completes a special needs high school program.

I’ve been half-heartedly looking around for possible replacement gems, but not finding anything to fit the criteria. Which is-

Heart Cut- faceted or cab is fine
It has to be large enough to be handled with fingers (she doesn’t have the dexterity to work gem tweezers/holders)- so I am thinking 10mm+
Her favourite colour is purple so that would be best, but any colour except blue is fine (for some reason she has a hate on for anything blue right now)
Budget- under $100USD incl shipping
Has to come from Canada or the US so there is the best chance of it getting here by Friday June 26th

I am still not giving up all hope on the original stone, and am checking the mail every day just in case it finds its way here, but I figure that realistically I should be buckling down to try to find a replacement. Any suggestions much appreciated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww....I'm so sorry... Let me look around.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if Jeff Davies would be willing to work with, and maybe expedite shipping, under these special circumstances?

What an awesome friend/big sister you are - how cool that you paid attention and discovered a new passion of hers, one that you share :))

DK168 seems to have a special thing for heart shapes. I would ask her for her thoughts on what she has seen and what ideas she has.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are such a loving and caring sister!
I hope they will still retrieve the package. If not, I second contacting Jeff Davies.
PSer DK has just bought a beautiful heart shaped zircon. Hopefully there is more where that came from or Jeff cam cut it for you.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
SOOOOO SAAADDD!!!!!!! :-o

The demantoid - was thinking about this one too!!! ;(
A very nice color! :love:

A few days ago I ( better a friend for me...) purchased one gem from Gemline too - hope I'll get it as soon as possible course I wanted this one for 2 years ( gem buying ban!!!)

Think this happens - but you really wanted them - hope they find them!!!

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry! I am fearful whenever I mail things. I hope they turn up!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You called? :bigsmile:

OP, gutted for you for the missing CSs.

I would definitely recommend contacting Jeff Davies and ask if he could cut a heart shaped RDF for you, as it is highly likely that he'll have suitable roughs.

Mind you, all the amethysts currently listed in his eBay shop are all the darker variety, and the last RDF on his FB page was back in April 2015.

No harm in asking, and he is always very helpful.

DK :))

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the post office that Michael uses must have some issues. I bought some gems from him once and they sent the package to a different continent (central America instead of Asia). I eventually got my package after Michael looked into it but it ended up taking two months. I have no problems with Litnon though.

Have you checked out Allyce Kosnar's Etsy shop? She has several faceted heart shapes up there, including a pink purple tourmaline and a green stone heart (can't remember what it was).

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I checked the mail hopefully at the end of my day yesterday, but no luck. Sigh. Thanks for all the help and kind words!

Chrono- thank you. That might work! :appl: She will love that it is BIG and she won’t be particular about cut. I am concerned about it getting here in time for end of June (using Fedex/DHL for express shipping means brokerage fees and taxes that are going to take it well over budget…especially considering our poor exchange rate right now), but maybe I just need to let the timeline go. I can give her the opal at her grad and then another gem when I see her in early August. This way I am not stressing and rushing, and can wait a bit longer hoping the original gems show up.

I have no experience with Gem Select, and I see that they are not on the recommended vendor list?

MinousBijoux and Acinom thanks for your kind words. She is such a wonderful human being, that it would be hard not be as caring as possible as her sister. She never lets her challenges get her down, and has this huge joyful passion for the things and people she loves. She makes it easy! I am hearing Jeff Davies as a go to for this…

Marlow- thanks for the sympathy. I visited the listing for that demantoid almost as much as my sister did with the amethyst! Also I am reassured that you considered that same stone…that must mean I am learning to spot the good ones! I hope your gem arrives safe and sound.

RSargent- thanks. I have had such good luck over the years, especially with the USPS, that I never even consider the possibility of losing stuff. I sure will now.

Tourma-guy- I know!!!! And one of them is just a baby! ;(

dk- Thanks for coming by! That’s a lot of votes for contacting Jeff, so I think I’d better. ;-) I had another question for him regarding a recently won ebay auction anyway. It’s hard to imagine a custom cut stone coming in at budget though? But like you said, there is no harm in asking.

Mochiko- Your story gives me hope that it may still turn up. Michael has them looking into it now. Man, this must be a frustration for him if it happens fairly often! He did say that this is his first experience with a lost package to Canada.

I checked out the Kosnar Co etsy shop (there is an octagonal cut lemon lime sphalerite on there that is making me drool!). The heart cuts I saw were beautiful, but sadly far over budget. Thanks anyway!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's another thought............and you may have already considered it............what if you tell her what is going on and then discuss the options. Wait, start looking for another stone, do it together or hunt separately but discuss what is found? Kinda like making lemonade out of lemons. I think there have been some great suggestions in this thread and you can still replace the stone for her.......but I kept wondering how would your sister feel about solving this situation together.....with you? And you said that she enjoyed 'the hunt'.............

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not use Gem Select for expensive stones or those that are highly treated. Most common types like quartz are generally safe.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
digdeep|1433430942|3885080 said:
Here's another thought............and you may have already considered it............what if you tell her what is going on and then discuss the options. Wait, start looking for another stone, do it together or hunt separately but discuss what is found? Kinda like making lemonade out of lemons. I think there have been some great suggestions in this thread and you can still replace the stone for her.......but I kept wondering how would your sister feel about solving this situation together.....with you? And you said that she enjoyed 'the hunt'.............

Great suggestion, digdeep! The memories from the hunt might be even better than the stone.

Eyre

Rough_Rock
Evangeline, the loss of the RDF really hurts. I really hope it is found. The loss of the beautiful demantoid is horrible, but losing your sister's special stone is really just miserable.

The stone Chrono linked to looks like it could make a really nice replacement. I hope whatever happens your sister is thrilled. It really is the thought that counts.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I hope the package turns up Evangeline. You are such a lovelly sister and your sister sounds like a really wonderul and special person!

amyek

Rough_Rock
Evangeline - my daughter got into collecting gems for a while but lost interest. I believe she has some heart shaped stones. Your story touched me. I am offering to give my daughter's collection to your sister. Most are starter stones and they aren't all hearts obviously, but she has a couple of nice ones in there. If you want this collection - no charge - please post a message to me on LT with your email so we can connect for shipping details. I am sorry this happened to you, but I hope this offer will make you smile. :angel:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I did not expect to come onto PS this morning and get all teary eyed. You guys are amazing.

And I have good news to report- no the gems did not show up, but I got an email from Michael. I had asked him if he had any other large heart cuts in stock in our price range (except for blue!) and told him about the gift for my sister, and I am completely blown away by his response! He said that sadly it seems that the original package is lost and refunded the cost in full, but he is sending two heart cut amethysts, a 10mm and a 12mm, as a gift for my sister. Sending the amethysts as a gift is above and beyond what I would expect a vendor to do in this situation, and just so kind! I am so impressed with how Michael/Gemline has handled this, and look forward to ordering from them again in the future.

And I will be following the tracking on this one closely! Lol

Digdeep- I love your suggestion. Thanks to Michael we now don’t have to solve this one, but I think she would really like hunting the next gem together. She enjoys the obsessing over, which we all know is a crucial part of the hunt. ;-)

Chrono- thank you for clarifying about Gemselect. I am still going to show her the gem you found, because I think it will be just her cup of tea.

MinousBijoux- I am in Canada (prairies). Things generally take 3-4 weeks from Thailand, and 1.5-2 weeks from the US, unless they are delayed at customs and then it is much longer…the exception being Florida…if I order from Florida all bets are off! And I agree about the memories. :))

Eyre and Lovinggems- thank you for your kind words! She is such a special person, and our family is truly blessed to get to care for her.

Amyek- this is such a generous offer! Are you sure your daughter doesn’t have sentimental attachment to the stones? Starter stones are perfect, because these stones will be handled and looked at, but not set in jewelry (she has too many sensory issues to wear any kind of jewelry). I will post on LT (probably this evening because I am out of time). And yes, you did make me smile…well actually get a bit teary...

I am going to tell my sister the whole saga of the lost gems, Michael’s help and all the kindness expressed on PS, which she will love! I will take pics of the gem box when I have it ready to roll and share them here. Thank you everyone! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing customer service, which is above and beyond, from Litnon. :o :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amyek: I am so happy to see you posting. I know things have been hard for you and wanted you to know that I am sending big, gentle, protective hugs and hoping everything is on the upswing for you.

EvangelineG: what's that old expression - you get back what you give out? You clearly have made an impact here and we all wish the best for you. I'm so happy the ending is a happy one and you will potentially have for your sister an embarrassment of riches!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl: Thanks for the update......such great news! This situation has left 'lemonade' in the rear view mirror!

amyek

Rough_Rock
Evangeline - she doesn't have sentimental attachment so I am happy to pass along her gems to your sister. I will look at LT so we can connect via email. :)

Minous - yes, things have been hard for sure. Thanks for the shout out. Let's catch up soon. I hope you are well!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my. This is so touching...
Both from the vendor and from Amyek. Good things happen to good people Evangeline!!! Your sweet sister will have a great collection.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Lost Gem Sadness & Heart Cut Help

Evangeline, I'm so happy that things are working out. How incredibly kind of Michael to send you two new stones. How generous of amyek for her offer!! It really reminds me how good people can be. It helps restore my faith in humanity! [emoji4]

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
mochiko42|1433548188|3885787 said:
It really reminds me how good people can be. It helps restore my faith in humanity! [emoji4]
This is exactly what I've been thinking Mochiko!

Chrono- Exactly! Totally unexpected and totally above and beyond.

MinousBijoux, Digdeep and Acinom- Thank you. Such an incredible community here. And "an embarrassment of riches" indeed! She is going to be so thrilled!

Amyek- Again, what incredible generosity! Thank you. I made a LT listing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1433521036|3885601 said:
Amazing customer service, which is above and beyond, from Litnon. :o :appl:

+100

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results