shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost emerald. Where to replace/repair in NYC? (Photos)

gemshow

Rough_Rock
Premium
I just noticed an emerald is missing from a platinum ring which I received as a gift. I'm devastated. Of course I'll search for the lost stone but I don't expect to find something so tiny.

Is there a particular place in the NYC area (or Westchester County NY) I should go for repair? Approximately how much should I expect to pay for repair and replacement of the emerald? (the head of the ring is approximately 7.6mm, for scale).

The vendor (not a jeweler) is unwilling to take responsability for the lost stone since "Emeralds are a very soft stone and break much easier than a diamond or sapphire. You can easily hit your ring without even being aware of it. The ring has been in your possession for almost 6 months."
I don't think that's unreasonable, but I'm still upset.

I know I can't wear (or wash!) this ring until it is repaired, all of the emeralds are loose now.

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3527.JPG

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
gemshow|1322754939|3072231 said:
I just noticed an emerald is missing from a platinum ring which I received as a gift. I'm devastated. Of course I'll search for the lost stone but I don't expect to find something so tiny.

Is there a particular place in the NYC area (or Westchester County NY) I should go for repair? Approximately how much should I expect to pay for repair and replacement of the emerald? (the head of the ring is approximately 7.6mm, for scale).

The vendor (not a jeweler) is unwilling to take responsability for the lost stone since "Emeralds are a very soft stone and break much easier than a diamond or sapphire. You can easily hit your ring without even being aware of it. The ring has been in your possession for almost 6 months."
I don't think that's unreasonable, but I'm still upset.

I know I can't wear (or wash!) this ring until it is repaired, all of the emeralds are loose now.
I wouldn't expect them to necessarily take responsibility unless they made it and it's not an antique. But even so, they should know where to get a replacement stone and recommend someone who may be able to fix it. I do not like that response at all.

gemshow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ame. I haven't responded to the vendor yet. She's on the other side of the country, but I might ask her for a suggestion anyway.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'd suggest moving this topic to Coloured Stones as most of us never go to RT.

My advice would be to get the jeweller who does the repair to source the replacement stone for you as they will have suppliers who don't deal with the general public to call on.

The cost of the emerald should be minimal - maybe $20 or so as it's small, colour matching could push the price up as could having to have one cut to fit.

It's a lovely ring and I can understand why you are upset. Emeralds are unfortunately brittle and easily damaged.

I'm afraid I'm in the UK and while I could recommend a London jeweller to do the repair, it's not much good to you I'm afraid - but I'm sure you'd get great advice from the Americans on CS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results