shape
carat
color
clarity

Lookin'' for a Blue Sapphire Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone!

I think I''ve finally come to the right place to ask my questions! It sounds cliche but in a nutshell I''ve finally found the girl of my dreams and I want to get her the ring that''s just as special and unique as she is :)

I was lost at first but after looking at a few pictures together, taking her into a store, and talking about it some I''ve set on getting her a blue sapphire e-ring! I know the direction I want to go but I still have could use some answers/advice to make it all come together.The ideas so far... sorry if the blue is off but they were diamonds quickly photoshopped into sapphires and aquamarines :razz:

pave_3_Stone_A.jpg

pave_3_Stone_B.jpg

Here''s a bit of what''s important to me. First is the stones color intensity. I''ve seen what the nicer blues are and I really want the stone to shimmer that deep, intense blue. I''ve also seen some of the treated stones and they are equally beautiful but at times it seems too saturated and I would prefer to have an unheated stone. Clarity is also important to me and I would like the stone to be at least eye clean. Carat wise I''d like it to be around 2.5ct and the cut could be either cushion, oval, or round in order of preference. It would be nice if it were ceylon but that''s not too importnant. My price range for the stone alone is 3.5k - 7k.

This leads to my 1st question. One vendor told me that it will be hard to find an unheated blue sapphire. Another told me that it would be hard to find the stone I wanted without inclusions. The one vendor that did come back to me with something was telling me it was 9.5k for a 2.41ct stone. Is what I''m looking for for my price range really not doable for physical store retailers?

So my 2nd question would be who the respected online vendors are for loose sapphires. Which ones can I trust for their quality and does what I see on their pictures actually translate or come close to what I will get on hand? I''ve gone to a number of sites and the front runner on my list is The Natural Sapphire Company. I don''t know if it''s the lighting they use but the colors of their stones just seem nicer to me and are unheated to boot. I''ve tried cherrypicked but everything I like seems to be -sold-
33.gif

Here''s a few I''m considering.
Cushion 1
Cushion 2
Oval
Round
Asscher

Can anyone recommend any good ''benchworkers'' in San Diego? Some of the jewelers I''ve been to, Stuart Benjamin and Sprint at the Jewelers Exchange downtown, have told me to just bring in a picture of something I liked if I didn''t find it in their store and that they could replicate it. How true is that?

Lastly, they say bigger is better but would a 2.5ct sapphire be too big for my girl? She''s kinda teenee at 5ft with smallish hands and thin fingers. I saw the percentage of coverage chart earlier but I''m not sure how much of that applies to sapphires.

I appreciate any advice you can give. And thanks!

ps - missrocks your e-ring is byoooteeful! I''m definitely thinking pave because of what it does for the sapphire.

pave_3_Stone_B.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Kneeling,

I would certainly buy from Natural Sapphire Company in a heartbeat. They also do great settings, and many people have been super happy with their purchases from there. Steve Bliss is great.

That being said, the guy from the store is giving you some BS. See the sapphire in my avatar? It's 2.15 carats, from ceylon, and was a LOT LOT less than even the small end of YOUR budget...nowhere near 9.5k. Now it's not the most "desired" color...but it's pretty close to what you photoshopped and it IS a gorgeous blue. In sunlight my stone is a lot brighter and just glows, these pictures don't really do it justice!

That being said, the color in sapphires can vary widely and the price does too. I wouldn't rule out heat treated unless it's super important to you, because there are some gorgeous heated sapphires out there too.

I'd start with NSC...and also talk to Jeff White at White's Gems. He cut my gorgeous sapphire and would be happy to cut a piece of rough for you "made to order" if you have some flexibility on time. Jeff is fantastic as well.

Here's my sapphire set in a ring. I agree that diamonds, whether as accent stones or pave, look fabulous with sapphires (but I'm biased!)

P1010425456456.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops that was really small. Here''s another. =)

Anyway, I would check out NSC''s settings too. They have some gorgeous stuff and also do custom work. It would be simplest to work with one vendor and since we know they do great work already, I''d choose them.

P101043545656.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I personally like cushion 2, the round, or the oval out of the ones you''ve chosen.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My fave is the oval. But that''s because I only looked at it. Yeah, I''m totally an oval girl. But the color and the shape on it look really nice.

I personally want a Sapphire e-ring but I''m going to be really picky about the color because to me that''s the most important part, but I want it to be really unusual. The color you''re interested in seems to be one of the more expensive so I''m glad your budget is what it is.

Couple questions:
Have you been ring shopping with your girl?
Does she like white metal over yellow or does she want a combo?
Does she like the look and practicality of pave?
Does she have a favorite shape of stone?

I just was asking because I''d be very very unhappy if I received an ering with any YG on it at all, and with how much stuff I do with my hands, pave wouldn''t be able to hold up to the abuse. And as I said, I''m an oval girl, but would be ok with a round or a cushion-but no so much a princess. So I''d be unhappy on those counts, but if she''s already made clear thats what she wants, then obviously-get the girl what she wants!

BTW-BF already knows all of this stuff for my ering. Heh.

And I just want to say Neatfreak-I love your asscher. I think it''s gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us why you want aquamarine sidestones? I really prefer diamond sidestones because they really set off the blue of the sapphire. Aquamarine is just a different color of blue, which is also beautiful with diamonds. But I just don''t see the two together, especially for an e-ring.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I second the Jeff White suggestion. Neatfreak's sapphire asscher is stunning.
30.gif
I vote cushion or asscher!

And with a budget like yours, I'd put whatever sapphire you find into a Leon Mege. Something like, oh....

This (r1007)

or...

This (r332)

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! ...I almost didn't catch that little compliment at the bottom of your post..Thank You!
1.gif

I must say it is definetly possible to find what you want unheated and clarity wise. Although, you will pay more for both of these aspects, and get no visible difference. It is definetely a personal preference. My stone is heated and does have a few inclusions (none eye visible) but I don't mind. And to answer your 1st question- I guess it would just depend on who you are dealing with. Try looking up PS net-friendly local stores maybe call a few of them. Not all stores will specialize in color.

Now in regards to the 9.5k quote, I must say this may not be all BS. Subtle color difference in sapphires equate to huge price differences. I had looked at sapphires that were prices 2x as much as mine, with the very slightest color/ saturation difference..and unheated stones that commanded even more of a premium. In the end, those small differences didn't make a big enough impact to make be spend that much more. So I think you can definietly find gorgeous sapphires out there in your budget! But keep in mind there may have been a reason behind the price. I have seen some gorgeous supersaturated Ceylons in that range.

I am 5'3 and wear a size 5 1/4. I wouldn't think that a 2.5 would be too big on her. Most of the time, it may come down to how big of stone she is comfortable wearing. To compare sapphires to diamonds, go by diameter. So for example, that 2.30rd sapphire you mentioned, measures 7.6mm and would compare to slightly over 1.50ct diamond.

And lastly, with pave' work, I would be bit more selective with the jeweler choice. There are a couple of threads on here about handmade vs. machined pave' that you should read. Also beware of anyone who says they can do it for a significantly lower price than a competitor. Most of the price in pave' comes from the labor, so when you cut costs, you may be losing quality workmanship.

Oh, and my vote would be cushion, but I'm biased!
Good luck
35.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
If you're looking for an excellent benchman/jeweler in San Diego, go see Arthur Pawlak in La Jolla. He's got a gorgeous little shop in LJ and some of the pieces in his shop are custom made by him. He's very talented and has a terrific eye for detail. He's the only guy I'd use for custom work in SD area. His number is: 858-456-3884, 7660-G Fay Avenue, LJ. He's open M-F, 10-4 but I'd call and make an appt. so you know he's there as he sometimes has to go downtown for casting, etc.

Stuart Benjamin..we went there to look for wbands for my husband and I thought it was a pretty schlocky place. Arthur's is another level. And yes, any benchman or shop is likely to tell you they can copy anything because they want your business but it's very difficult to get exactly what you want usually. There are tons of posts here about people who gave photos and thought they were clear on what they wanted and it didn't turn out at all like they envisioned it because the devil is in the details...

As for your designs above, they look nice but may I suggest that you do not go with aquamarine sides? It just looks off to me. And it doesn't enhance the blue of the sapphire, it competes with it. Aquas are a cool toned color and the sapphires you're looking at have a depth and warmth to them that to my eye, clashes with the aquas. Also, I'd not do yellow gold prongs on the sapphire as again it clashes to my eye, while white metal seems to show off the sapphire more cleanly. Same for diamond sides, if you subbed diamond sides in the above photos, I think the sapphire would POP in those settings. Good luck...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricing will vary depending upon the quality of the colour for your unheated blue sapphire. It could run from $2K per carat all the way up to $10K per carat or more. Not many vendors will carry unheated stones. Online, your selection will probably be better as there are vendors who specialize in untreated sapphires.

NSC carries the largest selection but I would be cautious as to the accuracy of their description of colour and clarity. I have seen some stones puchased on Pricescope where it was described as Intense and IF but the clarity was easily seen and the colour was far from intense. Another vendor I like is Wink of www.winkjones.com and Gary of www.diamondexpert.com

Comments on the stones you are considering:
Cushion 1: Table and culet is obviously off center, with a very uneven girdle. The center area also looks "dead". The colour is very attractive though.
Cushion 2: Way too deep at 80%, so the stone looks smaller than it should. The cut is acceptable but the colour isn''t as good.
Oval 3: Very bad colour zoning. I can see it even from the face up position and is very obvious in one of the side views. The girdle is also dangerously thin on one side which risks chipping. I''d pass on this one ASAP.
Round 4: The cut is so-so. I don''t like it because the colour looks "meh". Not too lively looking either for a round.
Asscher 5: Nice colour, but very deep at 90%, so the stone will be the smallest of all. Cut is so-so.

Carat weight is the weight, not the size of the stone. A 2.5 ct can vary in size. I prefer to go by the dimension of the stone in mm. Size preference depends on the wearer. Many ladies here with small fingers like large stones that cover the entire finger.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2008 8:25:48 PM
Author: neatfreak
Hi Kneeling,

I would certainly buy from Natural Sapphire Company in a heartbeat. They also do great settings, and many people have been super happy with their purchases from there. Steve Bliss is great.

That being said, the guy from the store is giving you some BS. See the sapphire in my avatar? It''s 2.15 carats, from ceylon, and was a LOT LOT less than even the small end of YOUR budget...nowhere near 9.5k. Now it''s not the most ''desired'' color...but it''s pretty close to what you photoshopped and it IS a gorgeous blue. In sunlight my stone is a lot brighter and just glows, these pictures don''t really do it justice!

That being said, the color in sapphires can vary widely and the price does too. I wouldn''t rule out heat treated unless it''s super important to you, because there are some gorgeous heated sapphires out there too.

I''d start with NSC...and also talk to Jeff White at White''s Gems. He cut my gorgeous sapphire and would be happy to cut a piece of rough for you ''made to order'' if you have some flexibility on time. Jeff is fantastic as well.

Here''s my sapphire set in a ring. I agree that diamonds, whether as accent stones or pave, look fabulous with sapphires (but I''m biased!)
Neatfreak,
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your stone has been heat treated, thus pricing will be MUCH less than an untreated sapphire.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would also have a look at Palagems, I have bought several stones from them and they are outstanding. I am also super-picky about colour, cut etc

They don''t have prices on the website as they are trade only, but you can get a jeweller to call them in for you.

I''ve always gone through Wink - www.winkjones.com. I trust his eyes and the recommendations on stones by the guys at Pala 150%.

I thritto the aquamarine advice. Aquas are also much softer stones - my cousin has an acqua e-ring and has chipped the stone quite badly. I would definitely put diamonds in there - they will enhance the blue of the sapphire rather than detract from it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 12:30:24 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 2/27/2008 8:25:48 PM

Hi Kneeling,

That being said, the guy from the store is giving you some BS. See the sapphire in my avatar? It''s 2.15 carats, from ceylon, and was a LOT LOT less than even the small end of YOUR budget...nowhere near 9.5k. Now it''s not the most ''desired'' color...but it''s pretty close to what you photoshopped and it IS a gorgeous blue. In sunlight my stone is a lot brighter and just glows, these pictures don''t really do it justice!

That being said, the color in sapphires can vary widely and the price does too. I wouldn''t rule out heat treated unless it''s super important to you, because there are some gorgeous heated sapphires out there too.

I''d start with NSC...and also talk to Jeff White at White''s Gems. He cut my gorgeous sapphire and would be happy to cut a piece of rough for you ''made to order'' if you have some flexibility on time. Jeff is fantastic as well.

Here''s my sapphire set in a ring. I agree that diamonds, whether as accent stones or pave, look fabulous with sapphires (but I''m biased!)

Neatfreak,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your stone has been heat treated, thus pricing will be MUCH less than an untreated sapphire.

Yes, but I was simply pointing out that stones with beautiful colors can be had for a lot less $. I also mentioned to him that there are many heated stones that are beautiful in color too. Didn''t mean to imply that mine wasn''t heated, just that his local B&M''s $9.5k price as a "bottom end" was quite high.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono made some excellent points.
And Pandara mentioned Palagems- they have some beautiful gems and from my experience, and most of them tend to be cut nicer than your avergage gems.

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 8:27:46 PM
Oops that was really small. Here's another. =)

Anyway, I would check out NSC's settings too. They have some gorgeous stuff and also do custom work. It would be simplest to work with one vendor and since we know they do great work already, I'd choose them.

Thanks neatfreak! I saw the thread where you nabbed that asscher! Congrats! I'll take a look at Jeff White too! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 8:52:32 PM
Author: FrekeChild
My fave is the oval. But that''s because I only looked at it. Yeah, I''m totally an oval girl. But the color and the shape on it look really nice.

I personally want a Sapphire e-ring but I''m going to be really picky about the color because to me that''s the most important part, but I want it to be really unusual. The color you''re interested in seems to be one of the more expensive so I''m glad your budget is what it is.

Couple questions:

Have you been ring shopping with your girl?

Does she like white metal over yellow or does she want a combo?

Does she like the look and practicality of pave?

Does she have a favorite shape of stone?

I just was asking because I''d be very very unhappy if I received an ering with any YG on it at all, and with how much stuff I do with my hands, pave wouldn''t be able to hold up to the abuse. And as I said, I''m an oval girl, but would be ok with a round or a cushion-but no so much a princess. So I''d be unhappy on those counts, but if she''s already made clear thats what she wants, then obviously-get the girl what she wants!

BTW-BF already knows all of this stuff for my ering. Heh.

And I just want to say Neatfreak-I love your asscher. I think it''s gorgeous!
Thanks for the reply FrekeChild. Sorry I''m noob at ring lingo. What''s YG?

As for your questions:
-I''ve taken her to a couple of stores to get a better idea of what she likes.
-I like white over yellow. 18k white gold or platinum.
-She likes how pave on the band brings out the blue. Practicality wise I hope to get a band from one of those places that have a replacement guarantee :razz:... she is 5% clutz hehe
-She definitely wants a sapphire but I''m not 100% sure which shape. Her eyes get bigger when she sees examples of cushions and rounds so if I know her any I think that''s the way to go!

Hope you get what you want! And yes nt''s asscher is niiiice :)

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 9:21:28 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Can you tell us why you want aquamarine sidestones? I really prefer diamond sidestones because they really set off the blue of the sapphire. Aquamarine is just a different color of blue, which is also beautiful with diamonds. But I just don''t see the two together, especially for an e-ring.

Thanks for the advice about the aquamarines everyone. It''s her birthstone and I thought the complement of blue would be nice but after looking at several settings last night I think I''m going to go with diamonds. :) Near 1cttw.

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 11:41:47 PM
Author: Missrocks
Oh! ...I almost didn''t catch that little compliment at the bottom of your post..Thank You!
1.gif

I must say it is definetly possible to find what you want unheated and clarity wise. Although, you will pay more for both of these aspects, and get no visible difference. It is definetely a personal preference. My stone is heated and does have a few inclusions (none eye visible) but I don''t mind. And to answer your 1st question- I guess it would just depend on who you are dealing with. Try looking up PS net-friendly local stores maybe call a few of them. Not all stores will specialize in color.

Now in regards to the 9.5k quote, I must say this may not be all BS. Subtle color difference in sapphires equate to huge price differences. I had looked at sapphires that were prices 2x as much as mine, with the very slightest color/ saturation difference..and unheated stones that commanded even more of a premium. In the end, those small differences didn''t make a big enough impact to make be spend that much more. So I think you can definietly find gorgeous sapphires out there in your budget! But keep in mind there may have been a reason behind the price. I have seen some gorgeous supersaturated Ceylons in that range.

I am 5''3 and wear a size 5 1/4. I wouldn''t think that a 2.5 would be too big on her. Most of the time, it may come down to how big of stone she is comfortable wearing. To compare sapphires to diamonds, go by diameter. So for example, that 2.30rd sapphire you mentioned, measures 7.6mm and would compare to slightly over 1.50ct diamond.

And lastly, with pave'' work, I would be bit more selective with the jeweler choice. There are a couple of threads on here about handmade vs. machined pave'' that you should read. Also beware of anyone who says they can do it for a significantly lower price than a competitor. Most of the price in pave'' comes from the labor, so when you cut costs, you may be losing quality workmanship.

Oh, and my vote would be cushion, but I''m biased!

Good luck
35.gif

Thanks rocks!

I actually took out a ruler last night and measured 7.5mms on her finger and it covers around 50% which I think is a good size.

I''ll try to keep tabs on how the pave is done :)

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 12:57:36 AM
Author: surfgirl
If you''re looking for an excellent benchman/jeweler in San Diego, go see Arthur Pawlak in La Jolla. He''s got a gorgeous little shop in LJ and some of the pieces in his shop are custom made by him. He''s very talented and has a terrific eye for detail. He''s the only guy I''d use for custom work in SD area. His number is: 858-456-3884, 7660-G Fay Avenue, LJ. He''s open M-F, 10-4 but I''d call and make an appt. so you know he''s there as he sometimes has to go downtown for casting, etc.

Stuart Benjamin..we went there to look for wbands for my husband and I thought it was a pretty schlocky place. Arthur''s is another level. And yes, any benchman or shop is likely to tell you they can copy anything because they want your business but it''s very difficult to get exactly what you want usually. There are tons of posts here about people who gave photos and thought they were clear on what they wanted and it didn''t turn out at all like they envisioned it because the devil is in the details...

As for your designs above, they look nice but may I suggest that you do not go with aquamarine sides? It just looks off to me. And it doesn''t enhance the blue of the sapphire, it competes with it. Aquas are a cool toned color and the sapphires you''re looking at have a depth and warmth to them that to my eye, clashes with the aquas. Also, I''d not do yellow gold prongs on the sapphire as again it clashes to my eye, while white metal seems to show off the sapphire more cleanly. Same for diamond sides, if you subbed diamond sides in the above photos, I think the sapphire would POP in those settings. Good luck...

Thanks surfgirl :) Is it safe to assume you''re from SD by your username?

I''ll definitely check out Arthur. Would you happen to know if he''s got a website? I''ll google him in a bit and see.

Advice noted on the aquamarines :D I whipped a new photoshop of one. Better?

pave_3_Stone_C.jpg

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 12:26:44 PM
Author: Chrono
Pricing will vary depending upon the quality of the colour for your unheated blue sapphire. It could run from $2K per carat all the way up to $10K per carat or more. Not many vendors will carry unheated stones. Online, your selection will probably be better as there are vendors who specialize in untreated sapphires.

NSC carries the largest selection but I would be cautious as to the accuracy of their description of colour and clarity. I have seen some stones puchased on Pricescope where it was described as Intense and IF but the clarity was easily seen and the colour was far from intense. Another vendor I like is Wink of www.winkjones.com and Gary of www.diamondexpert.com

Comments on the stones you are considering:

Cushion 1: Table and culet is obviously off center, with a very uneven girdle. The center area also looks ''dead''. The colour is very attractive though.
Cushion 2: Way too deep at 80%, so the stone looks smaller than it should. The cut is acceptable but the colour isn''t as good.
Oval 3: Very bad colour zoning. I can see it even from the face up position and is very obvious in one of the side views. The girdle is also dangerously thin on one side which risks chipping. I''d pass on this one ASAP.
Round 4: The cut is so-so. I don''t like it because the colour looks ''meh''. Not too lively looking either for a round.
Asscher 5: Nice colour, but very deep at 90%, so the stone will be the smallest of all. Cut is so-so.

Carat weight is the weight, not the size of the stone. A 2.5 ct can vary in size. I prefer to go by the dimension of the stone in mm. Size preference depends on the wearer. Many ladies here with small fingers like large stones that cover the entire finger.

Thank you sooooo much Chrono. These are the things I need to pick up on. Steven Bliss actually emailed me back with some suggestions for rounds. Would you mind comparing notes with me?

Round 1Color is okay, not super round... kinda ovalish actually =/ girdle seems even. btw what''s a good girdle thickness?
Round 2Window seems uneven. Bad cut?
Round 3Price is steep for me but closer to elements I should be looking for?

I have wink and diamondexpert open on other windows now!

Thanks again :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neatfreak,
You are correct. They are lots of gorgeous drop dead blue sapphires that have been gently heated going for reasonable prices. Mine included.
9.gif
It''s just that your wording sort of confused me, which is why I wrote my reply that way.

Kneeling,
No problem. Here''s my comparison:
Round 1: Pleasant colour but that cut is a little odd. Not round but not oval either. The off shape would bother me personally but it is an otherwise attractive stone. The depth looks to be reasonable too and the girdle is fine.
Round 2: Colour isn''t attractive and the cut isn''t great. Looks to have a window. I''d pass on it.
Round 3: Fantastic colour. A tiny window but way way too deep so it''s going to look small. Other than that, the stone looks brilliant and lively.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Chrono. I think I learned more reading this thread than I did buying my own stone. Thanks!

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Just to throw this out there... Where''s a good site with a selection of treated/heated stones? I''ve looked at ajsgems but didn''t really see anything that caught my eye.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi there,

I want to put in another vote for having someone like Jeff White cut the gem to order for you. I''m working with him on a project now (inspired by the gorgeousness of Neatfreak''s saph) and he is great. Have a look at his website. I think it''s whitesgems.

That way, you get EXACTLY what you want.

Just my 2 cts!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

undercover

Rough_Rock
Neatfreak:

I love your ring! It''s exactly what my gf wants... Where did you get it?

I think I''m going to have a hard time finding anything similar in my price range (~1k). Any ideas?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 12:45:47 PM
Author: undercover
Neatfreak:

I love your ring! It''s exactly what my gf wants... Where did you get it?

I think I''m going to have a hard time finding anything similar in my price range (~1k). Any ideas?

Thanks so much undercover! I love it too.

Well...you could certainly have a sapphire cut from Jeff White @ whitesgems.com (that is where mine is from) for under that depending on the size and color. But that would leave you with very little $ for the setting, you''d have to do something much plainer. My setting is from a generic setting catalog (settings of NY maybe?) from a local jeweler, with a bit of customization. But if you went with a simple setting for now and focused on the stone, you could get something like it for under $1000.

undercover

Rough_Rock
I would love to spend more on the stone and less on the setting, but she is dead-set on the setting, and does not listen to me when I explain that it's important to spend more on the stone. So I think it might be best to get a slightly cheaper sapphire and get her the baguettes with it.

Any ideas on where to get the sapphire/setting? I am looking to spend around 1k, but I actually have less than that right now... praying for more! I'm sort of a missionary, so my budget is limited.

I'm going out shopping, hopefully this week for this... not sure if it's going to happen this week or not.

Any ideas/comments? I don't really want to have to wait too long for an online order, so I would rather do it local. Any tips for dealing with jewelry shops? Also, when looking at sapphires, what should I look out for? Color/Cut/Flaws? Darkness? Do I need to be worried about a bad sapphire if I'm looking in the 300-500 range for the stone?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 5:27:29 PM
Author: undercover
I would love to spend more on the stone and less on the setting, but she is dead-set on the setting, and does not listen to me when I explain that it''s important to spend more on the stone. So I think it might be best to get a slightly cheaper sapphire and get her the baguettes with it.

Any ideas on where to get the sapphire/setting? I am looking to spend around 1k, but I actually have less than that right now... praying for more! I''m sort of a missionary, so my budget is limited.

I''m going out shopping, hopefully this week for this... not sure if it''s going to happen this week or not.

Any ideas/comments? I don''t really want to have to wait too long for an online order, so I would rather do it local. Any tips for dealing with jewelry shops? Also, when looking at sapphires, what should I look out for? Color/Cut/Flaws? Darkness? Do I need to be worried about a bad sapphire if I''m looking in the 300-500 range for the stone?

Hmmm...that makes it much more difficult. Shopping locally often is a lot more costly, and to answer your question there unfortunately are many more bad sapphires than good ones. Best to go to a place with a high number of quality stones and then shop with your eyes. You don''t want them to sell you a dark sapphire with no brilliance ya know what I mean?

And also, my setting was more than half your budget...so you may need to settle for something slightly cheaper there too.

Where are you if you don''t mind me asking? We might be able to come up with better places to shop for you.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Common jewelry abbreviations:
YG= yellow gold
WG= white gold
RB= round brilliant
EC= emerald cut
OEC= Old Euro cut (I think, not entirely positive on that one)

other abbreviations:
DH= dear husband
BF= boyfriend
FF= future fiance/e

I know there are more, but I''m just put the ones off the top of my head. I''m sure you can do a search for them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results