shape
carat
color
clarity

Largest Paraiba Tourmaline

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
It has an enormous and distracting window. :-o

What color it does have around it's edges leads me to beleive that despite it's huge size, it still isn't incredibly saturated.

I'm still very jealous of it's owner. :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't like the setting, too gaudy for my taste.

DK :))

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gawdy was the first thing that came to my mind too, then I felt the urge to go snorkeling................ :wink2:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to this, its origin is Brazilian. But I'd want to see the origin report nonetheless!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
So would I. A Brazilian of that size would indeed be a record. It isn't very saturated & the photography doesn't capture a neon glow, though it may show IRL. Not only is the setting too garish for me, if the stone is as spectacular as it's billed, it should be the highlight of the necklace, not lost in the shuffle.

Looks like some very nice other stuff, though, and a sweet old guy.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can someone post a pic into this thread? Now I can't seem to find it, only the info on brokerage/auction house...TIA :wavey:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.kaufmanndesuisse.com/blog/?p=642

"A tribute to the world’s oceans, this spectacular one-of-a-kind necklace, is resplendent with ocean life. Multi-color precious and semi-precious gemstones along with a spectacular 10 ct. fancy coloured yellow diamond bring focus to the transparent blue of the Ethereal Carolina Divine Paraiba, the ultimate representation of our life-giving blue seas. The piece was created to highlight the beauty and purity of the gifts created by the earth and the living ecosystems within our oceans, and an appeal to protect and conserve."

isabellemarechalparaibastaroftheoceanjewels-1024x682.jpg

ethereal_carolina_paraiba_wow.jpg

isabellemarechalparaibastaroftheoceanjewels3.jpeg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I agree with what everyone has already said, unfortunately. Lighter in tone than some and definitely not as strong in saturation, especially with the gaping bay window, and I for one wish the setting wasn't so gaudy or busy as it competes with the stone...

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
That is one ugly necklace! Sorry but I do think it is ugly, the crabs and turtles on the chain? Really? What a pity....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apology for saying this in advance, however, perhaps the necklace is made with a weathy/important Middle Eastern client in mind.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1383089515|3547059 said:
Apology for saying this in advance, however, perhaps the necklace is made with a weathy/important Middle Eastern client in mind.

Um, I don't follow? Kind of a strong statement, don't you think?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there's an enormous fancy yellow diamond right above the stone. :naughty:

ETA: It's a ten carat fancy yellow diamond. Here's some detail of the paraiba, the diamond and some of the "sea life."

giant_paraiba_necklace_detail.jpg

fel

Shiny_Rock
This looks like something I would have worn with my Queen Ester costume for Purim.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think it might look nice on RuPaul.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would look great on Ursula.

While I think a lot of work went into the piece, and carving all the "sea life" and twigs, and the pave stones, all of that competes with the stone. I also think the carved creatures look a bit tacky up close, and not very natural, or organic, as I think they aimed it to be. If they really wanted to highlight the stone, it could have been done so much better. In this case, less is more.

ursula.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Makes me want a crab item of jewelry.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The workmanship doesn't look particularly fine up close? Some parts of it look a bit lumpy. Still, I can tell this necklace took a lot of time and work to complete since there are so many different elements to it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1383140742|3547408 said:
The workmanship doesn't look particularly fine up close? Some parts of it look a bit lumpy. Still, I can tell this necklace took a lot of time and work to complete since there are so many different elements to it.

When an artist is trying to do organic work in a piece of jewelry, they have to be supremely talented, because organic details are extremely difficult to execute in metal, and look natural. Otherwise, it can look cartoonish, or tacky.

For example, Elizabeth Taylor's VCA daisy collar is organic done right.

taylor_vca_daisy_collar.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1383102930|3547211 said:
dk168|1383089515|3547059 said:

Um, I don't follow? Kind of a strong statement, don't you think?

The aesthetic of the piece - large, ornate, yellow gold, many gem colours - seem to appeal more to the Middle Eastern that to European or American taste. Is it now politically incorrect to admit that different cultures have different tastes? Considering the expense of the piece, it is probably made with someone in mind or as a center piece for a collection.

For example, the Sultan of Brunei's daughter in her wedding finery. Compare to any of the recent European royal weddings.

The typical American wedding ring is often considered garish in some countries, where a half carat diamond is seen as ostentatious. Our custom of wearing only a gold band (for both wedding and engagement) would be considered too dull in the US. Neither is right nor wrong.

_bride.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady, thank you for your explanation, but I see such a qualitative difference. I find the Sultan of Brunei's daughter's finery to be lavish but exquisite, with use of color as a compliment. I find the tourmaline piece to be over the top, garish, lacking a cohesive color plan (so that the fine detail and beautiful colored stones end up competing with the centerpiece not complimenting it) and just...well, overdone and overwrought. I understand that many cultures have much more elaborate jewelry than our own (think an Indian wedding :cheeky: :love: ), but when they do, I think of the pieces as carefully crafted and exquisite.

That all said, I would assume from her comment that dk just didn't look closely at the piece, but was instead commenting on that type of colorful, tremendously detailed, jewelry, and would likely have included individuals from some other cultures as well.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1383141189|3547417 said:
Chrono|1383140742|3547408 said:

When an artist is trying to do organic work in a piece of jewelry, they have to be supremely talented, because organic details are extremely difficult to execute in metal, and look natural. Otherwise, it can look cartoonish, or tacky.

For example, Elizabeth Taylor's VCA daisy collar is organic done right.

TL: I love when you go all "Liz Taylor" on us - keep it up! :cheeky:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1383146743|3547485 said:
Lady, thank you for your explanation, but I see such a qualitative difference. I find the Sultan of Brunei's daughter's finery to be lavish but exquisite, with use of color as a compliment. I find the tourmaline piece to be over the top, garish, lacking a cohesive color plan (so that the fine detail and beautiful colored stones end up competing with the centerpiece not complimenting it) and just...well, overdone and overwrought. I understand that many cultures have much more elaborate jewelry than our own (think an Indian wedding :cheeky: :love: ), but when they do, I think of the pieces as carefully crafted and exquisite.

That all said, I would assume from her comment that dk just didn't look closely at the piece, but was instead commenting on that type of colorful, tremendously detailed, jewelry, and would likely have included individuals from some other cultures as well.

I agree that the quality is not the best while Princess Hajah would only wear the best! I think the necklace maybe the equivalent of the large piece of frozen spit: large and impressive (to that particular culture) but not particularly good and a lot less expensive than the utter best.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1383155142|3547606 said:
minousbijoux|1383146743|3547485 said:

I agree that the quality is not the best while Princess Hajah would only wear the best! I think the necklace maybe the equivalent of the large piece of frozen spit: large and impressive (to that particular culture) but not particularly good and a lot less expensive than the utter best.

Nope, don't agree with this. A culture that likes bling is more likely to know good from bad, so I disagree with your generalization. :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen enough of the necklace to form an opinion that it is aimed at those who like their jewellery flashy, in yellow gold and with multi-colour stones.

Perhaps I should have included other countries whose ladies prefer their jewellery that way, and not just those from the Middle East.

DK ;-)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results