carat
color
clarity

Jeff White Yellow Sapphire

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
yellowmambilla_2.jpg

I have been looking for asschers and emerald cuts in colored stones. I bought Roger Dery's beautiful Zircon asscher that I will post in the next few days (it is gorgeous and truly amazing.) Total serendipity that I got that one while I had this one in the works -- as Roger was on my list of people to contact.

So -- after reviewing many gems on PS and reading about cutters/gem dealers, I contacted Jeff White about a sapphire or a spinel, asscher cut. I wanted a stone not too big and not too small, really well cut and very clean. Jeff responded very, very promptly and suggested I think about this rough from Nigeria. He said it was perfectly-shaped for an asscher and would be a very bright, open lemony yellow. He thought it would result, after cutting between 1 to 1.5 ct. The rough was/is unheated and comes from the new Mambilla sapphire find in Nigeria. He thought clarity would be better than eye-clean. Jeff said the blue rind on the rough would be cut away and it would probably result in a lovely asscher.

I told him I was in. Jeff was not sure that he would be able to get to it before Tucson. Nevertheless, one week later, he sent me this picture and description.

sap173__2_.jpg

The vitals are: 1.77 ct. and 6.34 mm. Clarity is borderline flawless (much much better than eye-clean). There is one tiny inclusion under the table, but he says it is impossible to see under normal viewing. The color is a lovely delicate yellow with a slight green secondary in some lights.

I think it looks beautiful.

I have no idea how I will set it (and if you have ideas please share.) I don't have it yet.

But I wanted to share it with all of you because all of you nice PS people have been so nice to share your stones and knowledge with me and others. My only question is under what circumstances should I get it evaluated? I don't intend on selling it - I can insure it unset with my receipt from Jeff. And when it is set I can re-insure and get the entire ring, pendent, etc. appraised. So would I want to get it evaluated to confirm its origin?

Thanks much for looking.

Cindy

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Caf, thanks so much for sharing your lovely stone. Jeff White cuts great asschers!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lovely stone and cut, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone.

It is difficult to confirm the orign - the stone is loupeclean ( only one tiny inclusion) so how should they do it....

I doubt that a lab will be able to do this for a reasonable price. Nigeria is unusual. They need many stone to compare to get results.

The vendors says Nigeria so that should be enough for you. Normally they know which rough they buy - in yellow saphire is no premium source like in the blue saphires - maybe Sri Lanka...

Heat treatment would be useless in a yellow ( Fe3 ) clean stone. But size and beauty of that stone are worth to send it to AGL imo.

Again a great piece. :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And THIS is why I love Jeff White's cutting! Boom!

I love it.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone and what an amazing cut! Please post more pics!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new sapphire. If you are getting the stone insured, a brief might suffice just to get the basics down (gem type, ct weight, measurements, colour, unheated). At this point in time, I don't think origin matters.

S

SparkliesLuver

That's very pretty, caf. Asschers get me every time, too. I'm so happy it worked out for you!

Plus, I'm extremely excited that you got the blue zircon from Roger. :love: Can't wait to see your pictures of it as well!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That's beautiful! I have a JW blue sapphire asscher & the way it lights up is magical. You'll love that stone. Also great score from Roger with the gorgeous zircon! Can't wait to see what you do with these. :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to add that you absolutely picked the right color for an asscher as well, since light colors show them off best. I am so excited for you!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Precurious, Marlow, DK, MinousB, Chrono, Ricezo, Woofmama, Married Tiger and Sparklies: Thanks for all your lovely comments.

When I get it I, will post real life photos.

I am open to suggestions about setting the sapphire and the zircon. I worry about the zircon in anything but a pendant -- should I be that concerned? I don't wear rings everyday - I know blasphemy!

CAF

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!!! Jeff's work is amazing, and I can't wait to your pics when the stone arrives to you!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: setting for an square-step cut stone up to about 8mm, for casual wear, I would go to Boone Rings and have it tension-set in cobalt chrome in a simple band that resembles the Cartier Tank; for a dressier ring, I would probably put it in a diamond air-line halo or a Tiffany-inspired Legacy setting.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: JW's Asschers are the best!
What a fabulous stone. Looking forward to see your zircon from Roger too.

I have set my Asccher in a delicate halo by Victor Canera. The stone rests in a tiny bezel and it feels very secure. It's not my everyday ring though.

Happy waiting!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results