shape
carat
color
clarity

is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Is it safe to set a demantoid garnet in a ring? any precautions that should be taken?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2005 7:08:29 PM
Author:sylvesterii
Is it safe to set a demantoid garnet in a ring? any precautions that should be taken?

Demnatoid ring !?
30.gif

It is not unusual to have demantoid garnet set in rings. The setting should be reasonably low and protective, and this will not be a 24/7 ring.

I suppose it is common sense to choose a jeweler who deals with colored stones - most do though.

This is pretty much all that comes to mind.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Demantoid garnet has a hardness of 6.5 to 7, and a "fair to good" toughness. Not quite as hard as emerald, but a grade tougher, it is "okay" as a ring stone.

The biggest caution is to avoid abrupt temperature change. It should not be put in an ultrasonic with very hot solution (cool or warm is okay), and never steam cleaned.

widget

Ideal_Rock
The biggest caution is to avoid abrupt temperature change. It should not be put in an ultrasonic with very hot solution (cool or warm is okay), and never steam cleaned.
Richard...this is news to me...is it true for all garnets? Why these precautions?

Thanks!

Widget

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/3/2005 7:18:39 PM
Author: valeria101
Date: 12/3/2005 7:08:29 PM

It is not unusual to have demantoid garnet set in rings. The setting should be reasonably low and protective, and this will not be a 24/7 ring.

I suppose it is common sense to choose a jeweler who deals with colored stones - most do though.

This is pretty much all that comes to mind.

Ok. good to know. no worries about the jeweler. Wink is my only one.

I am thinking of pairing it (it is going to be very small, about .3 carat) with a .21 carat Eightstar. Now i just need to figure out what it will look like.

Anyone have any suggestions for a 2-stone men''s ring, with an eightstar and a demantoid garnet?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2005 9:58:23 PM
Author: widget
Richard...this is news to me...is it true for all garnets? Why these precautions?
The charts list andradite & demantoid as 6.5-7.0 in hardness, with all the other varieties of garent as 7.0-7.5.

All are listed as having "fair to good toughness", and although "usually safe" in an ultrasonic to "avoid abrupt temperature changes", like from a hot ultrasonic to rinsing with cold water.

The caution to "never steam" is listed for all.

It seems a bit cautious, I'll agree. Most jewelers I've known routinely run garnets through the ultrasonic and steamer without giving it a second thought. The caution is probably related to garnet inclusions which might expand and contract to abrupt temperature changes, causing interior damage and possible breakage. Better safe than sorry.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2005 2:10:41 PM
Author: sylvesterii

Anyone have any suggestions for a 2-stone men's ring, with an eightstar and a demantoid garnet?

How crazy do you want things to get ?

0201mn08.jpg

Platinum and 18k ring has 0.40 carat of tsavorite.

by Travis Kukovich for Jewelsmith (Durham, NC)

On a more normal side, I like nearly everything this shopw shows.

I am not sure who else can make these, but I am pretty crazy about inlay ... so had to mention:

80.jpg

65.jpg

I have no difficulty whatsoever seeing a demantoid garnet on top of green garnet druze (uvavorite) or something along these lines. The rings come from John Biagiotti's Metamorphosis Design

Without venturing too far out, I would think of something close to this - on a larger scale and with two stones only. The part I wanted to show in this is the gold stalks of the gems.

12big.gif

A more sophisticated version could come with an interesting volume for the entire ring, accepted by the green and white tailed star symbols... I should be able to draw something like this if you find the idea appealing.

Sure the list can g on for a while
2.gif

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Great start. I am not sure I want to go too crazy. i am pretty simple when it comes to my tastes.

In a somewhat related note, is it possible to have copper inlay in a ring that isn't going to tarnish, and actually, I guess I should ask...is this a copper inlay in the photo i have attached?? it is from a finnish website, so i have no idea what the description of it says, because alas, i am cannot speak finnish.

I really like the look of half-bezel rings, but don't know how a ring could have two half-bezel set stones on it, and with 2 stones, the balance of having 1 half-bezel set and the othe gypsy set would be wierd...hrmmm... i guess i have some work to do.

edited to add: the hearts that are around that ring are not exactly to my liking, just the color of inset.

381541T.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2005 10:49:55 PM

...is this a copper inlay in the photo i have attached??
My guess is... pink gold, probably satin finish (it can look like a lighter version of copper).

Since you mention - try these guys Furthers

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sylvesterii, here's an idea. What if you make the band white gold and use rose gold for the tube ? You can make the tube as thin or thick as you like.
2000vrijwebschaduw.jpg

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
good stuff, good stuff. keep em coming.

tonysgeko - where did that one in your first post come from? Is it held in by the thing band running through? how is that one working??

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Found that ring here janpycke. Scroll down the page for the illustration of the ring.
If you liked that one, Sylvesterii, check this next one out. One of my all time fav''s.
Mans_ring_4_croppedweb.jpg

20653.jpg

passblack9.jpg

DS3.jpg

XD425.jpg

Matrix.jpg

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
wow, thanks for all of your help...

I''ve attached a picture one of the demantoid garnets I am considering.
.33 ct 4.1mm

Wink mentioned that the photo doesn''t totally do it justice, and it seems a bit dark for my liking. I''ll attached another photo with the color that I was thinking about. But then again, it is VERY hard to judge colored stones through pictures.

Demantoid .33 4.1mm.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 10:49:55 PM

In a somewhat related note, is it possible to have copper inlay in a ring that isn't going to tarnish, and actually, I guess I should ask...is this a copper inlay in the photo i have attached?? it is from a finnish website, so i have no idea what the description of it says, because alas, i am cannot speak finnish.
Hi sylvesterii, nice to see you back
35.gif

Finnish for gold is "culta" as i remember, so you can check it around that picture.

As for colors of demantoids, i had a good possibility to compare many of them at the last Vegas Show and decided that to my taste the "better" color comes with less fire and Fire is what i was looking for in demantoid. Good cut combined with lighter body color was my personal preference. It might not be you choice though, Garry H. said he is not crazy about its "olivy" color compare to the others that dealer had.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the welcome back, I check in every now and again, but find my time comittments take more and more each day.

Thanks for the info about the finnish and the demantoids, that is definatley good to know.

Is the better color in reference to saturation, or i am not sure how one would describe this but, "green-ness"? I guess that would be "hue" if I am getting the terminology correct.

I would be fine with less saturation, but would still like a nice green color to the stone.

I, like you, am definately intersted in demantoid because of the fire factor, especially since it is going to have to keep up with an eightstar. I would hate to have a really great performing demantoid that looked like pea soup for color though...hrm. So many different considerations when it comes to colorful stones.

Does anyone know anything about gold alloys, and what would make a "good" rose gold alloy? I am not super familiar with it. Is that the same things as what people call "black hills gold"??

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
also, anyone know of any good sites to find demantoid garnets? just to check out? I''ve looked at Pala, and they have a bunch, but not a ton of picutres.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/10/2005 7:44:05 PM

I am definately intersted in demantoid because of the fire factor, especially since it is going to have to keep up with an eightstar. I would hate to have a really great performing demantoid that looked like pea soup for color though...hrm. So many different considerations when it comes to colorful stones.

If you want as much dispersion (fire) from the demantoid as from the diamond you won''t find it in one of the strongly green-hued stones. Dispersion colors become very obvious and showy in light yellowish-green stones but dispersion is masked as the green hue intensifies and saturation increases. Still, the fine chrome greens are drop-dead beautiful for their own sake and provide plenty of brilliance due to their high refractive index.

Does anyone know anything about gold alloys, and what would make a ''good'' rose gold alloy? I am not super familiar with it. Is that the same things as what people call ''black hills gold''??

While rose gold is used in Black Hills gold that name describes a U.S. regional goldsmithing style featuring leaves and clusters of grapes as decorations. It was originally made with gold mined exclusively in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Rose gold is a pinkish alloy made by increasing the amount of copper and decreasing silver. Excellent rose gold casting alloys and fabrication stock are available from refining companies. If you really need a rose gold ''recipe'' I have several on file.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2005 8:43:39 PM
also, anyone know of any good sites to find demantoid garnets? just to check out? I've looked at Pala, and they have a bunch, but not a ton of picutres.
Not many... a few have been mentioned on this thread

Second 'Pricescope' mention about the olive color... you may find lighter color demantoid, shockingly inexpensive and very fiery - but brownish something. There are light green ones too, like the pear down this page. I do not know if any source produces light non-muddy green wit any consistency - it just happens, the few I have seen either online of off came from Italy and Namibia.

Hope this helps. Some of the rings shown here, I'd were any day!
1.gif

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Boy, I am starting to get the distinct impression that I should see them in person before making any final decisions. hrm. I wonder if there is anywhere in minnesota that would have any...

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
What do you think of these???

My photoshop skills pale in comparison to many here, but I think they get the idea...Thanks for all of your help everyone, I think most of the originals were in this thread.

hrm. can''t figure out how to post more than 1 image at a time, maybe they have to by hyperlinked to do that...

Ring Concept Jan 1.jpg

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
In this one, the black is a ceramic insert if i am not mistaken. i wonder how hard that is to do...

Ring Concept Jan 4.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How to make them not look like two eyes? (unless you want that).

Maybe this

D4621431x.jpg

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock

hm. good point, that first one really does look like it has eyes doesn''t it???

How about this, is this one too "busy" would the rose gold inlay with engraving be too much with the platinum (probably white gold at this point $$$!)

The engraving is a finnish symbol, but i have seen referred to as "St. John''s Arms"

The inside is supposed to be in a similar manner to the next post, which is a ring by vatche.

once again, i appologize for my poor photoshop skills. so crude.

Ring Concept Jan 5(2) copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results