shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a sapphire like this worth it?

BlueWinters

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I'm interested in buying a sapphire for a dear friend of mine. Nothing spectacular, the meaning behind the gift being a sapphire is personal.

However, I am not sure if this one is worth it or if I should try my luck at sapphire gravel, would anyone care to share their opinion?

sapphire1.png

Closeup:

sapphire2.png

I like the storm blue color and don't mind the faded nature of it, but how reasonable is the price of $250 for this gem?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The color is very light, and it looks like it has quite a bit of silk. I don't think it's a question of the price, but more of, is this what your friend would expect of a sapphire?

I would personally go for something more standard. I think the sapphire you showed is an acquired taste, and I don't mean to insult it. I think there are people who will like it, but I think it would be someone who is specifically searching for that look.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Sapphire gravel, I like that. This one is, as Chrono says, very light colored and very silky. You won't see sparkle from that stone & it may IRL look more blue-gray than blue.

Preg's suggestion makes sense for your budget. I honestly don't see how else you would find a genuine, acceptable sapphire for the price. Good luck -- it's a sweet present.

BlueWinters

Rough_Rock
I appreciate that you took the time to look that up for me! But yes, I specifically chose that sapphire for its light stormy blue color - the kind of hard blue from those earrings is not what I seek. I think it is along the lines of something silvery/blue. The description of the gem itself was beautiful, I thought, "the sky after a storm".

My intended gift is a loose stone by the way, and budget I would say is $800. Thank you for your response!

BlueWinters

Rough_Rock
Really considering just getting sapphire gravel - it does not matter if the sapphire I gift is uncut/untreated, merely the meaning behind a sapphire (from a specific region, I might add). With my budget I am unlikely to find a good cut one anyhow, so I may as well try my luck for one that has the right color. :angel:

Probably shouldn't ask here but does anyone have experience with gravel themselves?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've become Chrono! I am flattered :twirl:

Now that I understand the purpose at little more, would you consider a sapphire specimen instead? I feel like they can be more interesting to "look" at. I always feel like gems are waiting to be set. That is just a personal feeling I have

Thanks for the additional info on your preference for the color. If you like it, then to answer your question about price, it is best to look around. I don't think there is a standard price for a stone that is so non standard in appearance.

Here are some places to look for Montana sapphires:
http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=83
www.litnon.com
www.mastercutgems.com

The color of this Montana, for example, is superb, and it looks well cut, and looks eye clean. I'm just mentioning it as a reference point for Blaze. His prices are very competitive:
http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_53_54&products_id=777

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

BlueWinters

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1413245795|3766683 said:
I've become Chrono! I am flattered :twirl:

Now that I understand the purpose at little more, would you consider a sapphire specimen instead? I feel like they can be more interesting to "look" at. I always feel like gems are waiting to be set. That is just a personal feeling I have

Thanks for the additional info on your preference for the color. If you like it, then to answer your question about price, it is best to look around. I don't think there is a standard price for a stone that is so non standard in appearance.

Here are some places to look for Montana sapphires:
http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=83
www.litnon.com
www.mastercutgems.com

The color of this Montana, for example, is superb, and it looks well cut, and looks eye clean. I'm just mentioning it as a reference point for Blaze. His prices are very competitive:
http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_53_54&products_id=777

I didn't imagine this kind of help, I am very grateful that you take your time to aid me on this! I like that you correctly linked websites for Montana sapphires, that is the origin I wanted, and so far these websites seem to be exactly what I was looking for. You are also right about a specimen likely being the better option for what I want, but I am ignorant of these concepts - would a sapphire specimen be similar to saying the sapphire is uncut, one that can be cut later? If so, then it is perfect.

That gem you linked at the end of this reply is the kind of gem I would have liked to buy if I could afford a bigger budget, the color is simply beautiful.

BlueWinters

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for this blazegems website, I think it is exactly what I was looking for...several of these rough sapphires have already caught my eye. I may just buy it from here. The intention behind buying a loose gemstone was that it would become something more, years from now, at a set date. A lasting, growing friendship. Maybe a ring, maybe a necklace. It is all the more fitting if I purchase one of these rough ones, to be kept in that form until we decide to move onto the next phase of getting it sculpted.

Will update here before I buy something :angel:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Blaze is very helpful so definitely contact him! Also, something to consider is that "rough" doesn't get cut a little bit to make a finished gem. There is a great deal of 'loss' in the process from rough to finished gem. One option to avoid that is to put the rough or gravel that you pick out......into a pendant. I could see small natural sapphire from the gravel in a small glass pendant holder........or put a larger rough in a pendant form without cutting it. Then you could move to the next step of finding a finished gem together when the time comes, and keep the first step as it is. Just throwing out idea's that maintain the sentiment and don't box you into anything before you're ready..........good luck!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
BlueWinters|1413248002|3766698 said:
Thank you so much for this blazegems website, I think it is exactly what I was looking for...several of these rough sapphires have already caught my eye. I may just buy it from here. The intention behind buying a loose gemstone was that it would become something more, years from now, at a set date. A lasting, growing friendship. Maybe a ring, maybe a necklace. It is all the more fitting if I purchase one of these rough ones, to be kept in that form until we decide to move onto the next phase of getting it sculpted.

Will update here before I buy something :angel:
I have to support what Digdeep said. Buying rough is a tricky business if you want to have it cut later

If you have your heart set on a gem at some point in time, I would buy a gem. With rough, you don't know if the color will be the same after it is cut, how large the stone will be, and what inclusions are inside the gem. It is basically a gamble.

If you like the color the stone that I posted on Blaze's website, let him know that and see what he can offer.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For selecting rough to be cut -
1. It must be very clean
2. It must look very transparent (translucent rough is best cabbed, rather than faceted)
3. Colour must be even throughout (or mostly)
4. It has to be BIG because the loss to be expected is as high as 70%. Expect to get a 1 carat sapphire from a 3 to 4 carat piece of rough.

There's much more to selecting the right rough, but it is not for the inexperienced.

BlueWinters

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1413299930|3766881 said:
For selecting rough to be cut -
1. It must be very clean
2. It must look very transparent (translucent rough is best cabbed, rather than faceted)
3. Colour must be even throughout (or mostly)
4. It has to be BIG because the loss to be expected is as high as 70%. Expect to get a 1 carat sapphire from a 3 to 4 carat piece of rough.

There's much more to selecting the right rough, but it is not for the inexperienced.

Thank you all for the concern, I figured it may be a gamble. I have contacted Blaze with this, to see if he has any rough sapphires that in his experience would make beautiful gems.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock

BlueWinters

Rough_Rock
alexah|1413309613|3766978 said:
I thought this color was similar to your original and the price isn't much more (Dana's hand shots are typically what you see in real life) - just in case you're still considering a cut gem?

1.12ct 7x5 $270 http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7744

That's about the right color, however, I am those who are into details - and I want this sapphire to be from Montana for personal reasons. If I buy a sapphire from mastercutgems I think this one would best suit me:

http://mastercutgems.com/viewgem.php?gemid=7819&id=30297

But Blaze has shown me some promising gems! Waiting for details on some of those, then I'll see if I can get feedback here

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results