shape
carat
color
clarity

I need colored stone help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I resetting the diamond in my grandmother''s e-ring to a pendant so I can get more wear out of the beautiful diamond... however, I love her plat setting and her tiny diamond side stones (maybe .10 carats each?) and would love to set a pretty colored stone in the setting. I would need about a 6.5 round stone to fit in the setting but I have no clue about what type and where to get a nice colored stone... I''m partial to pink but am open to anythign that would look good in an antique setting. Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a round shape, almost any gemstone would look super in that antique setting. I''ve set a 6mm round blue spinel and 6mm round teal tourmaline in antique settings and love it. If you are partial to pinks, here''s some to consider:
pink spinel, pink tourmaline, pink sapphire, pink kunzite (although I don''t think it''ll be strong enough as a ring stone).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture is rather lousy and dark but shows the gemstones in their antique settings.

fun RHR.JPG

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
beautiful! My grandma''s ring looks similar to the second one in the picture... may I ask where you purchased the stones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are vendors I have purchased various gemstones from (in no particular order):
Gary www.diamondexpert.com
Barbara www.acstones.com
Dan www.customgemstones.com
Wink Jones

One extra thing to keep in mind:
Gemstones tend to have a bit of a "belly" or fatter pavilon so you have to take that into consideration. Both my settings above are meant for 6mm diamonds but due to their "bellies", the one on the left (teal) is 6 mm but the one on the right (blue) is 5.8 mm. There was no way that a 6 mm gemstone would fit into the setting on the right.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/8/2007 4:09:40 PM
Author: Chrono
Gemstones tend to have a bit of a ''belly'' or fatter pavilon so you have to take that into consideration. Both my settings above are meant for 6mm diamonds but due to their ''bellies'', the one on the left (teal) is 6 mm but the one on the right (blue) is 5.8 mm. There was no way that a 6 mm gemstone would fit into the setting on the right.

Good to know!

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Don''t forget the garnet family...tsavorites and mandarin garnets are lovely, not to mention the reds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results