shape
carat
color
clarity

I bought this pink sapphire instead of a green tourmaline

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
First, I would like to give my big big thanks to all who helped me for selecting the green tourmaline. I contacted Gene and he sent me a video of that tourmaline. I like it very much even though it is not as saturated as the other 3 stones, I will wait for another week to think about it.

But but when I goofing on Gene's site, I saw this pink sapphire it is a little bit small since I like big and b--ling--. But but the color is so lovely, I would like to give it a try. I know Gene will have a killing pretty pink sapphire ready very soon, but 4ct is too big for me since I am not a pink person and would like to save the money for a real blue sapphire for my 10 year anniversary next year.

13_pink_sapphire.jpg

Now, I want to know your comments for my 1st CS buy.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
Re: I bought this pink sapphire instead of a green tourmalin

1.225 ct. A very pretty hot pink sapphire from Umba Tanzania. This stone shifts color from a red/pink in incandescent light to a purple pink in daylight. The photo is about midway on the color. There are some very minor needles in the stone, that can not be seen with the naked eye, faces up clean. No heat or other treatments. 7 x 5.5 mm.

Color: 9/10 Clarity: 9/10 Brilliance: 5/5 TQR: 9.3

My concern is it is not from Sri Lanka, and it has inclusions.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Lots of bad stones have come from Sri Lanka too. I would not care about place of origin; no matter where it is from, a stone must stand or fall on its own merits. This stone looks very meritorious!
We all have inclusions. Many are loved not despite, but for their inclusions. I think the inclusions in this stone fall in the lovable type. It is eye clean, but they are there when you need them to show off unheatedness. That color looks amazing, like it could be seen from the moon.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

shulaibaoma|1426001410|3844912 said:
1.225 ct. A very pretty hot pink sapphire from Umba Tanzania. This stone shifts color from a red/pink in incandescent light to a purple pink in daylight. The photo is about midway on the color. There are some very minor needles in the stone, that can not be seen with the naked eye, faces up clean. No heat or other treatments. 7 x 5.5 mm.

Under the extreme magnification that Gene uses to take his photos, it won't look as included in person, to your naked eye.

Some vendors would call that a precision cut ruby and charge at least ten times as much as Gene, so I think it's a very good price for what looks like a very nicely saturated stone.

I would ignore origin if the color is great. Some prime origins have less than stellar colored stones too. It's better to pay a fair price for a stone from a less than prime origin, then overpay for a less than stellar stone simply because it comes from a prime origin.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock

I will post more pictures after I get the stone. So far, I am happy with my purchase even though I still have not seen the stone. The color is so great, and I know some vendor will call it ruby and list a much higher price.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

shulaibaoma|1426004493|3844959 said:
I will post more pictures after I get the stone. So far, I am happy with my purchase even though I still have not seen the stone. The color is so great, and I know some vendor will call it ruby and list a much higher price.

I'm looking forward to your opinion of the stone in and and pics :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

:appl: :appl:

Well done imo!

I like this sapphire - top cutting is rare - most have a native cut and the color is gorgous - esp. in incandescent light they explode!!

Have a lot of fun!!!

The quality is important and not the orign!!!
And inclusions in a corundum lke this are absolutely o.k. - they tell you and a lab a lot about the stone.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock

But anyone can tell me what cause the price difference between the one I ordered and the one in LoversKites' link?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

The one in LK's link is secondary market and the price was set 7 months ago when it was listed.
Also they are different stones, as are the sellers, different that is, not stones, the sellers I mean, well both.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock

So it is no reason to spend $300 more to buy a very similar stone? Confused. Is the stone in LK's link still available? I might need to order that one too to see the difference. Just a learning experience.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

shulaibaoma|1426006754|3845002 said:
So it is no reason to spend $300 more to buy a very similar stone? Confused. Is the stone in LK's link still available? I might need to order that one too to see the difference. Just a learning experience.

All sales are final on the LT piece though, so if you buy it and you don't like it as much as Gene's newer piece, you can't return it.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock

I'm sure the LT seller can also take video for you of her stone. She is a very reputable person to work with.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock

More confused....................................Really need help...................

Bex

Shiny_Rock

Looking at the stats, the one you ordered has better clarity and it faces up bigger, even though it's a slightly smaller stone. Those could both be reasons it's a little more expensive. It's also possible the LT seller is selling hers for less that she paid for it initially.

I think you should stick with the one you ordered. It's beautiful!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

shulaibaoma|1426009168|3845033 said:
More confused....................................Really need help...................

Just wait to see what you think of Gene's when it arrives. It's not a huge price difference, and you may fall in love with it on first sight. If not, you can always return it. If you like NKOTB's, you can request a video, but you will have to keep it, no matter what you think of it IRL. Or, you can get both and make a bypass ring. :naughty:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Tell us what you're confused about.

LT stone: $300 cheaper, on secondary market, no return period, a bit more included, faces up smaller despite slightly heavier weight.

Yours: $300 more expensive, generous return period so you can decide if you like it, faces up larger than the LT one and is a bit cleaner.

The price difference is totally understandable. The return period is the biggest issue imo. I definitely think you should wait til you see the one you ordered. Chances are if it doesn't make your heart sing, neither will NKOTB's one since they are quite similar.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Can somebody explain why a stone on the "second market" has to be cheaper???
This is not a used car!! If a stone was never used in jewellery it is still a new stone.

Gem trade is not only mining--cutting factory--wholesale--vendor-- customer.

Many times it is wholesale-- vendor-- vendor -- customer -- vendor -- vendor and so on...

I would never sell a 100$ Mahenge bought a few year ago from Tan here on LT for 100$ again - "you" pay what is the actual market price...otherwise I would be stupid.

OP: If possible take both stones - NKOTB offers a nice one for a very fair price!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Saw your message in your green tourmaline thread :wavey:

You made a great choice and will find out soon with your own eyes whether the stone will make your hart sing. It looks really promising based on the photo. Gene has great customer service that includes a return period, so there is no need to worry.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

The 2 stones look pretty different to me, and the LT stone does not come with a return policy. When I sell stones on LT, I sell them final sale and with a competitive price.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Marlow|1426014758|3845105 said:
Can somebody explain why a stone on the "second market" has to be cheaper???
This is not a used car!! If a stone was never used in jewellery it is still a new stone.

Many sellers want a quick sale, or maybe what they list doesn't draw much interest unless it has a good price that tempts people. The no returns thing also impacts the price - the buyer is taking a risk. If they don't like it, too bad. Other than that, I'm not sure why.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock

I contacted the LT seller, she would like to offer me an extended return period if I pay the shipping costs. So the return policy is not a concern now, let's just talk only the stones.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock

$300 dollars is nothing if I spend 10k dollars for a 6ct sapphire, but $300 might be a lot for a $800 and a $500 sapphire.

I really appreciate all your answers and it is a great learning experience since I am new here and want to know more about CS.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

shulaibaoma|1426016019|3845120 said:
I contacted the LT seller, she would like to offer me an extended return period if I pay the shipping costs. So now return policy is not a concern now, we can talk only the stones.

I think you should wait and see what you think about the one you already bought.

Judging by Gene's photos, imo, NKOTB's has stronger saturation and is more pink. The one you bought is still very saturated and more purple. Take note that your one faces up larger despite the lower weight.

Which one do you like more? That is the most important thing. If price was not a factor, which one would you choose?

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock

13_pink_sapphire.jpg
17_hot_pink_0.jpg

I posted both stones for easy comparing them.

regina3737

Rough_Rock

TL|1426003490|3844935 said:
shulaibaoma|1426001410|3844912 said:

Under the extreme magnification that Gene uses to take his photos, it won't look as included in person, to your naked eye.

Some vendors would call that a precision cut ruby and charge at least ten times as much as Gene, so I think it's a very good price for what looks like a very nicely saturated stone.

I would ignore origin if the color is great. Some prime origins have less than stellar colored stones too. It's better to pay a fair price for a stone from a less than prime origin, then overpay for a less than stellar stone simply because it comes from a prime origin.

+1 agreed, origin is an overrated method of analysis. And yes, I could see some less reputable vendors listing this as a ruby and overcharging.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock

LoversKites|1426016614|3845127 said:
shulaibaoma|1426016019|3845120 said:
I contacted the LT seller, she would like to offer me an extended return period if I pay the shipping costs. So now return policy is not a concern now, we can talk only the stones.

I think you should wait and see what you think about the one you already bought.

Judging by Gene's photos, imo, NKOTB's has stronger saturation and is more pink. The one you bought is still very saturated and more purple. Take note that your one faces up larger despite the lower weight.

Which one do you like more? That is the most important thing. If price was not a factor, which one would you choose?

By looking at the photos Gene provided, the stone on LT site is a more pure pink color, the one I ordered seems a little bit silky I think that might because of the color shift as Gene mentioned.

I deadly hope that one of the stone could be a little bit bigger so that I could buy them both, one for a ring and the other for a pendent.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

I would NOT wait - otherwise a lurker here will buy it.

The smaller one has nice inclusion ( zoom the pic - in the center you see some "sugarcubes" ) - sharp and clear - this is a very good sign.

But you have to expect that the color of both gems in daylight is not as vivid as in incandescent light - this o.k. !!

Rubies and pink to hot pink sapphires will show a better color with incandescent light.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock

VapidLapid|1426002320|3844921 said:
Lots of bad stones have come from Sri Lanka too. I would not care about place of origin; no matter where it is from, a stone must stand or fall on its own merits. This stone looks very meritorious!
We all have inclusions. Many are loved not despite, but for their inclusions. I think the inclusions in this stone fall in the lovable type. It is eye clean, but they are there when you need them to show off unheatedness. That color looks amazing, like it could be seen from the moon.

+1
Pink sapphires very often (almost always?) have inclusions, they are considered a clarity Type II stone, that is, "usually included".
Remember, COLOR is king!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Marlow|1426020472|3845147 said:
I would NOT wait - otherwise a lurker here will buy it.

I didn't think of that, good point.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results