shape
carat
color
clarity

How should I set fancy oval andalusite?

SeeingSunshine

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! First time poster and CS newbie here.

I recently purchased my first loose cs, a .45ct andalusite. It is dainty, beautiful and the brown/green color is right up my alley. I know I want to set it as a ring in yellow gold, but from there I'm lost. I have only seen these types of fancy ovals as loose gems, not set in jewelry. Any advice or pictures of similarly shaped gems in settings would be much appreciated!

img_6000.jpg

img_1745.jpg

img_1739.jpg

img_1744_0.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you are thinking YG and agree given the cut/colors that would probably be the way I would tend to go.

But I bought this WG andalusite ring pre-loved for the setting (I am more a winter color person). I ended up falling in love with the total package despite not being an autumn colored stone person. Never thought I would be a fan of andalusite but now am.

Your stone is beautiful and I am sure you will love it even more once set like I do mine :)

andalusite.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
You bought a beautiful cut andalusite! Small but really nice - the cut is perfect for this gem with such a strong trichroism.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome colours. I love it. YG sounds good, unfortunately I have no idea how those types of ovals are set.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely stone and cut - but really needs a protective setting at 6-6.5 Mohs. Note this is not an everyday stone - it will damage quite easily. Put it on when you leave the house and take it off the minute you get home - it's a lot softer than tourmaline for instance.

Perhaps something like these which are a little different, since you're into that ;))

While these show rounds or hexagons, I'm sure they could be tweaked for octagonal.

Swank Metalsmithing - Unusual double gold halo with a sprinkle of diamonds - I'm sure they could accommodate any shape centre and you could have more diamonds or none at all. This is the most protective setting for something like an andalusite. It looks very pretty on the handshot.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/194322101/rose-gold-and-morganite-hexagon-ring?ref=shop_home_active_21

Sofia Kamen
http://www.sofiakaman.com/Sofia-Kaman-14k-Gold-Diamond-Hexagon-Stacking-Ring-North-South-Setting/

Steven Batelle does a lot of work with granulated gold
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steven-Battelle-Jewelry/331074940308734

unusual-gold-double-halo-dia-milgrain-morganite-850usd-swankmetalsmithing-etsy.jpg

screen_shot_2014-11-09_at_10.png

stevenbatelle-gold-ball-hex-ring.png

hex-dia-portrait-set-bags-sm.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 for the setting from Swank Metalsmithing (assuming yellow gold for this stone, not rose)...sweet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure I would trust a jeweller to bezel set it without damaging it. For me, it would be prong but low set, perhaps with some outer metal protection yet look decorative, similar to the double halo morganite Swank setting Starzin showed.

SeeingSunshine

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the responses everyone!

lilmosun: Your ring is gorgeous! The stone really looks great in the white gold. Have you had any issues with the softness of the stone and the setting? (ps your nails are fabulous, I wish I could grow mine that long!)

Marlow: Thank you! I really fell in love with the cut. I have had a hard time finding small stones that are cut as nicely as this.

LoversKites: Thanks! Yeah, I've been at a loss as well!

Starzin: Wow! I had no clue it was that soft! On the vendor's website it was listed at a 7.5 Mohs, so I figured it would be safe with most settings. I will have to adjust my expectations! Thank you for all the setting suggestions, they are beautiful! I tend to lean towards rather delicate pieces, so I think the Sofia Kamen might be my best choice. I am also intrigued by the idea of a halo in low colored diamonds.

Chrono: Thanks for the input!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
No problem. Do keep us posted on the design - we'd love to see it pictures when you eventually set it. We're also usually up for any discussions along the way :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results