shape
carat
color
clarity

How is this white sapphire?

Souled In

Rough_Rock
Found the setting. Checked out the Moissanites, and they are green. Don''t want to shell for a diamond right now, so how bout this? Also just so you know it was my gf''s idea.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/U2926/Round/stoneid=U2926

It wouldn''t let me download the pictures in a working format.

There is also a gem report attached to the stone.

Do they get much better looking than this?

I couldnt find any better websites.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 8:58:27 PM
Author:Souled In
Found the setting. Checked out the Moissanites, and they are green. Don't want to shell for a diamond right now, so how bout this? Also just so you know it was my gf's idea.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/U2926/Round/stoneid=U2926

It wouldn't let me download the pictures in a working format.

There is also a gem report attached to the stone.

Do they get much better looking than this?

I couldnt find any better websites.
Souled In....welcome...and sorry I don't know much about white sapphires. But I did purchase the yellow sapphire 3 stone ring in my avatar from NSC and they were great to work with and my ring is absolutely beautiful! Best of luck in your search!
26.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Expensive for what it is.
Why are the photos black and white? Makes it impossible to evaluate its actual colorlessness.
The certificate is just a piece of paper from them, not an unbiased 3rd party gemological lab.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imageswhite2006/whiteo349-sm.html

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 9:33:43 PM
Author: Taylorbug!
Date: 5/28/2010 9:30:23 PM
Author: VapidLapid
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imageswhite2006/whiteo349-sm.html
These photos are black and white also.....
What do you have against NSC? the 1st time I posted on PS you basically BLASTED me because I mentioned that I had purchased a ring from NSC. It is obvious you don''t like them......why????
Just curious if you''ve ever done a search here on PS for NSC?

There are many people who think that NSC is overpriced, the stones are badly cut (although there are a scattering of nicer ones), their in house lab report is worth the paper its printed on, and you can get more for your money elsewhere.

Really, the only thing they have going for them (that I can see) is that they have a fairly large inventory to select from.

It is not just VL who doesn''t like NSC. There are many people here who don''t. So don''t go snipping about and getting personal.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
the photo from SimplySapphires is a color photo, the one from nsc is not.
please do a search on pricescope about nsc and you will find the multitude of reasons some of us here are less than enthusiastic about them. Fact is there are better stones, better cut for much less. I am glad you like your stone from them.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I will plainly admit that I've been in a dismal mood lately, but really?

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/dumpster/negative-comments-t143709.html

Not terribly long ago we had a poster who went around to several different subforums and kept bringing up drama that was going on on other subforums. This was not well received by any of the posters who were reading the negative dramatic comments from this poster ALL OVER THE FORUM.

So here's some advice. If you have a problem with a poster, as you apparently do with VL, take it up with the admin, or try to talk it out. But starting a topic to whine about how someone was "mean" to you when you first joined? Not very cool.

Now I'm going to go back to what I was doing, which is going through your topics to see just how "mean" VL was to you as a newbie...

ETA: You need to get faster at editing. Too bad I already quoted it.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ha! Thanks Freke. I think I remember the non-incident. it was right after a heated discussion of nsc and this person showed up talking much like a shill. So I said so. Later I apologized for being so quick to judge. However, that does not mean that I questioned my judgment!
Attack me all you want. I make mistakes. I usually admit to it when Im wrong or misinformed. But it''s not right to attack (personally at all) and then edit it out after you are called on it. And the attack was clearly disingenuous since in our first meeting the issues many of us have with nsc were clearly articulated and enumerated.

BACK TO DISCUSSING WHITE SAPPHIRES

Here is another that is IMO a lovely example, a little larger than the one you posted but beautifully cut with great depth (important when you''re asking a sapphire to impersonate a diamond). It is more money but you might ask them if they can do better on the price.

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/13031

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m watching this thread pretty closely, because I''ve wanted a BIG white sapphire for a while now to impersonate a big white diamond (but ICIER!) so I''m interested to see what comes up in this thread...especially price wise because I want to start saving my pennies.

VL, I also wanted to say that while I haven''t been posting as much as I used to (seriously I used to spend 8 hours a day posting...which is why my post count is so high for so few years---yay for undergrad classes) but I''ve been lurking a lot, and I''ve learned a lot from your posts. So thanks!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
there is a 4 carat AIGS certified unheated oval white sapphire on ebay for a bit less than this stone... And it is quite beautiful. Feedback 3150 100%. I would keep looking.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all due respect to white sapphire lovers, I don't think they can come close to impersonating a diamond. They simply do not disperse light like a diamond does. Freke, you should try to go after a nice white spinel instead. I think the luster is better than sapphire, and they're more dispersive than sapphires. JMO.
1.gif
Maybe Barry can source one for you.

ETA: Never buy a white sapphire without a reputable lab cert. They are synthesized by the boatload. Watch faces uses synthetic white sapphire for durability.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well of course I''m on the lookout for a white spinel TL! Of any size! But I''m thinking like 3cts...and I think it''d probably be easier to find a white sapph.

And you KNOW I''ll be going to Barry when I''m ready to get my mitts on one! Yum yum yummm...big fat Barry facets on a BIG white sapphire. WOOT!

31.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fan of white sapphire for the same reasons as TL. White spinel would have similar dispersion to a diamond, and even more so with white zircon, but zircon is soft and prone to facet wear. Still, I have a friend with a blue zircon engagement ring that looks great. White topaz, danburite, or goshenite beryl might be other options, but I know very little about them. I think white topaz is known for its brightness and pretty inexpensive.

Is your gf set on a white stone? Personally if I didn''t want a diamond for an engagement ring, I''d go for a richly colored gemstone rather than a diamond simulant. I''d take a blue-green sapphire or just about any color spinel over a white sapphire any day! Have you guys talked about doing a color other than white?

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 11:22:13 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Well of course I''m on the lookout for a white spinel TL! Of any size! But I''m thinking like 3cts...and I think it''d probably be easier to find a white sapph.

And you KNOW I''ll be going to Barry when I''m ready to get my mitts on one! Yum yum yummm...big fat Barry facets on a BIG white sapphire. WOOT!

31.gif
Hello Freke,

I too, am looking for that perfect white sapphire to be cut in a "Top Secret" shape. I have been looking for over a year. Last year, one of the well known precision cutters in the group who went on the buying trip to Africa kept an eye out for me. The idea seemed promising, but nothing appropriate was found.
There has been a lot of water under my bridge since then, but I believe I was told the reason is that most of the large white is dyed blue for more profit.

I simply said to keep looking and let me know when the material is found. That was a year ago now.

(Also, not to hijack, but I miss your posts, and am thinking of you.)

-Mel

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2010 11:51:35 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I'm not a fan of white sapphire for the same reasons as TL. White spinel would have similar dispersion to a diamond, and even more so with white zircon, but zircon is soft and prone to facet wear. Still, I have a friend with a blue zircon engagement ring that looks great. White topaz, danburite, or goshenite beryl might be other options, but I know very little about them. I think white topaz is known for its brightness and pretty inexpensive.

Is your gf set on a white stone? Personally if I didn't want a diamond for an engagement ring, I'd go for a richly colored gemstone rather than a diamond simulant. I'd take a blue-green sapphire or just about any color spinel over a white sapphire any day! Have you guys talked about doing a color other than white?

I honestly don't think any colorless stone, even spinel, can compete with diamond in the dispersion/refraction/durability department. There is cerrussite, which is a colorless exotic gem with a high degree of dispersion, but it's very soft (3 to 3.5), and very rare. Again, if I had to choose, it would be colorless spinel, but I wouldn't use it as a diamond substitute.

Here's a photo and video of a cut cerrussite. Beautiful gem, but it's so soft.
8.gif
Notice the dispersion. A white sapphire can't come close to even that.

http://www.jtv.com/Custom-Cut-11.13ct-Radiant-Cut-Cerussite-From-Tsumeb,-Namibia,-With-Appraisal/14297,default,pd.html

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Forget the white sapphire, Souled.

How about a white zircon? (I don't mean cz or cubic zirconia. Zircon is a real stone.) I've got one from Barry that does killer dispersion & white light. It's an awesome stone. In fact, on my short list is to ask one of the cutters to make me a 2 ct. white zircon emerald cut (with good windmills).

What shape & size are you looking for?

Souled In

Rough_Rock
http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/13031f

This was definitely a beauty, thanks, but very very expensive in comparison.

This is for an engagement ring so I don''t want it too big.

She has told me that she doesn''t want a diamond, and I just brought up the idea about getting a different gemstone.

I checked out the cerrusite, thanks, but not as interested.

As far as white zircon, thanks, but I read it is a little soft for a ring.

Now, how about natural sapphire. I can''t seem to figure out if they are expensive or what.. some are cheap and then:

http://galatea.meccahosting.com/~a0006775/loose%20stones/loose_stones.html

is just over 1 ct and is 11 thousand dollars...

pl_1_detail_1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2010 12:24:08 AM
Author: Souled In
http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/13031f

This was definitely a beauty, thanks, but very very expensive in comparison.

This is for an engagement ring so I don''t want it too big.

She has told me that she doesn''t want a diamond, and I just brought up the idea about getting a different gemstone.

I checked out the cerrusite, thanks, but not as interested.

As far as white zircon, thanks, but I read it is a little soft for a ring.

Now, how about natural sapphire. I can''t seem to figure out if they are expensive or what.. some are cheap and then:

http://galatea.meccahosting.com/~a0006775/loose%20stones/loose_stones.html

is just over 1 ct and is 11 thousand dollars...

Overpriced to the tilt
23.gif
and looks to be an ugly extinct sapphire too.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Well I didn't expect the wildfish stone was the one for you, but just looking at a lot of stones that are available gives you a sense of what out there and that is a nice one to see. Are you only looking for untreated stones or would you consider a heated one?

I have never bought from these folks though I am often tempted and may give them a try someday. They have a nice looking selection and seem to have a good return policy.

http://www.planetarygems.com/Diamondpage.htm

Don't worry that the link says "diamondpage" that's diamond substitute to them.

Souled In

Rough_Rock
^^nice find

i checked out the site and found this below for 285 dollars. I just wonder if it will end up looking like a toy piece of glass... it is the Zinia flower cut, with a slight peach tint..

First I have to hope the flower cut looks nice in the setting, and then i have to hope peach doesn''t just look like bad quality.

"Very sparkling and radiant, this completely unheated, Ceylon white sapphire weights 1.11 cts., white color with a faint, v.slightly peach tint to it, excellent, round, "flower", mixed cut, measures 6.4mm in diameter by 3.5mm deep, eye flawless, VVS to VS type2 from the gem fields of Elahera, Sri Lanka."

white1248760.jpg

Souled In

Rough_Rock
How about this aquamarine at angara.com

8mm for under 400

It''s been heat treated though, and I''m not sure how bad that is just yet..

If I can find a natural one that looks better, I''d likely shell out more money.

Round-Aquamarine8mm.jpg

Souled In

Rough_Rock
here is a seemingly nice 1.76 ct white sapphire here: http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=1522 with a nice video of the gem rotating.. rrrmmm this is tempting im thinking

id post a pic, but the video is worth seeing IMO

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another popular colorless gem is danburite. It''s a bit soft, but not too soft like Cerrussite. It''s durable enough for a non-everyday ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2010 5:25:19 AM
Actually this sapphire is untreated for 200 1.2 ct

That sapphire is very very grey, and not a decent blue IMO. However, some people don''t mind grey in gems, and prefer the fine cutting instead. It''s entirely your call.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2010 5:16:05 AM
How about this aquamarine at angara.com

8mm for under 400

It's been heat treated though, and I'm not sure how bad that is just yet..

If I can find a natural one that looks better, I'd likely shell out more money.

The photo looks enhanced. Be leary of aquas online because many photos make them appear more blue or saturated than IRL. I think Barry of acstones.com, shows more true to life aquas on his site, and he occasionally gets some decent ones in. Aquas also tend to be very greyish gems, so that's just something to be aware of. You might not be as sensitive to grey modifiers as someone else is (like me!!).

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I did not realize you were considering blue stones. If you are then that opens the field up a lot. Nearly all aquamarine is heated practically as it comes out of the mine which burns off the greenish hue. Aquamarine is not really a durable enough stone for an e-ring. That 1.2 ct sapphire is nice. you should ask about his return policy and whether the stone is zoned. Australian sapphires are often zoned, that is the color is uneven or concentrated in one or more spot in the stone. This may blend well in the face up orientation but many e-ring settings show the stone from the sides and an obviously zoned stone may be objectionable. That stone is cut to a higher standard than most commercial stones.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2010 2:24:58 AM
^^nice find

i checked out the site and found this below for 285 dollars. I just wonder if it will end up looking like a toy piece of glass... it is the Zinia flower cut, with a slight peach tint..

First I have to hope the flower cut looks nice in the setting, and then i have to hope peach doesn't just look like bad quality.

'Very sparkling and radiant, this completely unheated, Ceylon white sapphire weights 1.11 cts., white color with a faint, v.slightly peach tint to it, excellent, round, 'flower', mixed cut, measures 6.4mm in diameter by 3.5mm deep, eye flawless, VVS to VS type2 from the gem fields of Elahera, Sri Lanka.'
I can't help much, but that cut is usually called a Portuguese and since you seem drawn to it (I understand, it is my favorite) it is good to know. The one thing with that cut is that at many angle the facets underneath can get washed out. If possible, find videos of the stone or pictures from many angles so you can see if the facets are clear as is the case with a well cut stone.

Also, per your first post, most moissonites are white, although they are green when first created, and are good diamond subsitutes.

Souled In

Rough_Rock
Hmm okay so get videos if they are light colored to make sure they aren''t grey, good idea. :)

As far as moissanite, i went and saw 4 in person, and they all had a green tint to them, but they were pretty cool, but I don''t think that''s what we will want.

This white sapphire is heated 1.65 ct for 700.

Video is here: http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=1522

For a white sapphire doesn''t this look perfect?

I know it doesn''t light up like a diamond, but this one sure looks good.

I have about half the gemstone sites to go through still so I''ll put up some more pics in a bit.

Thanks

wsapphire165front.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results