shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you ship your stones- Why do vendors ship FedEx?

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm beside myself - for anyone who has read over the sapphire attempts, I just had the stone unset and was planning to send it off for re-cut via FedEx, with a return FedEx box. I need FedEx because my work schedule always causes me to miss deliveries, and I can have them diverted to the FedEx location 2 blocks away from me, so that the package doesn't 'walk away' from my building's entry way. Sidenote - I don't use a car, so getting diverted to a far off UPS or USPS shipping location that's outside walking distance won't work very well.

Here's my quandary - apparently, for any jewelry related item (e.g. stone, setting, ring), you can only be reimbursed for up to $1,000 in value, whether you're an individual or have a FedEx account. You can declare a higher value, but once it's determined that the item lost falls under the jewelry bucket - an item deemed of 'extraordinary value,' $1,000 is it. Yet, on other items you can go up to $50,000 - of course only after FedEx determines 'market value. So, for items like engagement rings (mine came via FedEx apparently as did the sapphire attempts), which are all valued over $1,000 - why do vendors send via FedEx?

I'm debating sending and receiving via FedEx to avoid the stone walking out of my building on its return, which is the highest risk of loss for me in my situation - but, thought I'd put it out there. Has anyone had problems with items getting lost via FedEx? I might try tonight to find a place where the stone could be received tonight, so that I can send and receive via USPS and be pick it up later in the day at a closer location. Last I sent USPS, I could send with signature required and purchase insurance, as opposed to declaring a value. Or, is there some crazy USPS fine print that I'm unaware of too.

Ahhhhh, so close but so far from re-cut. I appreciate any thoughts, and thanks all for humoring this - I know it may seem silly, but the last thing I want to do is lose a stone in the mail and be SOL.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Try Parcel Pro. I believe it is not only for the industry professionals and you can insure for up to 100k......that being said, it IS NOT cheap at all! I have used them quite a bit in the past and they are easy to work with and a very easy packing and documentation process. I have never had a problem with Fedex in the past.

sunnybunny

Rough_Rock
The problem with Fedex is that they have declared value and not insurance. That's actually why declared value is so cheap compared to actual insurance. It's only a couple of dollars extra ever couple of hundred you declare on a package. I work at Fedex, so when ever I help anyone with a Fedex package that contains high priced jewelry I always recommend them going to a third party insurer. Many big companies use Fedex and never declare a value because they DO have that third party insurance. I would also recommend Fedex Express vs. Fedex Ground because of shorter transit times. I hope this helps.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sunnybunny|1386131290|3567161 said:
The problem with Fedex is that they have declared value and not insurance. That's actually why declared value is so cheap compared to actual insurance. It's only a couple of dollars extra ever couple of hundred you declare on a package. I work at Fedex, so when ever I help anyone with a Fedex package that contains high priced jewelry I always recommend them going to a third party insurer. Many big companies use Fedex and never declare a value because they DO have that third party insurance. I would also recommend Fedex Express vs. Fedex Ground because of shorter transit times. I hope this helps.

Thanks for filling in the third party insurance piece of this - I really was quite dumbfounded. USPS doesn't have a similar policy, so I've identified a place that can serve as a package concierge to receive a USPS return package for lack of better words, thank goodness. USPS just requires proof of shipping, purchase of insurance, and an invoice for the item that was shipped or other proof of value, so good to go - never thought I'd say it, but YAY postal service!

Thanks so much for explaining - I really appreciate it - I really thought for a moment there that vendors sent with just the declared value and the $1,000 jewelry cap and couldn't believe it.

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
I was just reading off an address to my husband so he could print out a shipping label for me. I'm using USPS to ship a small flat rate box with insurance (contents are just under $1000) and it's costing me $18. There is a tracking number included with that. I like that it's not only cheap to ship USPS but you don't have to say what's in the package. That's important in my experience.

I had the necklace I was supposed to wear on my wedding day stolen by UPS. In fact I know who did it, it was the guy at the counter. I told him what I had (I was debating insurance) and he told me I didn't need it. I never saw that necklace again (it was being swapped because of a mark on the back of it). I finally had to go through my home owners insurance to replace it because the guy fed his boss some outrageous lie and they said there was nothing they could do. I was literally shaking with rage when I read his version of events. It was a bold move to pull on such a small island, this sort of crap doesn't usually go over well here.

So for me it's either FedEX (who stole my iPhone from my front door- we have witnesses). Or USPS, who will "loose" every package I give them unless I attach tracking and insurance. But they are by far and away the most reliable I've dealt with over the past several years.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the diamond is under $25,000 I ship USPS Registered, return receipt requested … and I say NO when the clerk asks me if I want to upgrade to Express or Priority since all registered travels at the same slow speed.

If the rock is over $25,000 I use www.malcaamit.com
They specialize in shipping precious metal bullion, fine art, and gems around the world.
Safe, but pricey!

Vendors often have third-party insurance so they use UPS or FedEx and the box usually does not reveal the contents are from a jeweler.
I suspect FedEx and UPS employees don't know the box's contents or value … well, except that first employee if they pick up at the vendor's store.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
above $25,000 i would go with brinks, which has a special insured jewelry service. expensive, but guaranteed. of course, if you have the time, it could be cheaper to fly to the source and pick it up yourself rather than using brinks. i'm not kidding.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Under $25K, USPS registered with insurance. As other have said, priority is a waste of money because it is under lock and key every night, hence isn't any faster.
Fedex - you will need your own 3rd party insurance. Most vendors use their own 3rd party insurance.
UPS - will not insure loose stones but you can purchase their insurance for shipping jewellery. I'm not sure what the cap is though.

No matter what you ship or who ships your package, NEVER tell anyone what are the contents of the box. They do not need to know anything other than the insurance amount and that it isn't an explosive, weapon or dangerous object.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely - thanks for all of this! I absolutely have no intention of saying the contents of the box or even shipping to the cutter's business name - just to his personal name and address. You guys have been really helpful - as always.

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
I thought I should add. After my pendant was stolen I talked to my insurance provider. That said that if I had the piece on my insurance before I sent it out it would have been covered with them regardless how I sent it. I have State Farm, they're pretty affordable but will only insure set stones. There's also the deductible if something is lost/stolen. But it's a fair way to go if what you're sending is a finished piece you're loaning to someone far off, or are sending for a repair. I don't know if I'd want to rely completely on that but it's a nice added layer if something does happen and the company you ship through gives you a hard time.

Just know that UPS has a $500 dollar limit for jewellery (pretty low) and they're pretty unhelpful overall if something goes missing. So that may also play into why vendors skip them. Also I've been asked what's in the package with UPS and never with FedEx or USPS.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
koolchicken|1386202759|3567734 said:
I thought I should add. After my pendant was stolen I talked to my insurance provider. That said that if I had the piece on my insurance before I sent it out it would have been covered with them regardless how I sent it. I have State Farm, they're pretty affordable but will only insure set stones. There's also the deductible if something is lost/stolen. But it's a fair way to go if what you're sending is a finished piece you're loaning to someone far off, or are sending for a repair. I don't know if I'd want to rely completely on that but it's a nice added layer if something does happen and the company you ship through gives you a hard time.

Just know that UPS has a $500 dollar limit for jewellery (pretty low) and they're pretty unhelpful overall if something goes missing. So that may also play into why vendors skip them. Also I've been asked what's in the package with UPS and never with FedEx or USPS.

Thanks koolchicken! I got the piece out the door yesterday via USPS insured with signature confirmation - I couldn't find any sneaky fine print regarding limits for jewelry, and no one asked the contents, so hopefully it's safely on its way to arriving tomorrow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results