shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with natural blue diamond heart please

VanOrton

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am looking for a natural blue diamond heart around 5mm x 5mm or from about .25 to .5 ct depending on depth etc

Thought I had found one that is a GIA .29 Gray Blue - Clarity is not graded but likely i1

internet pic was fine but when I explained I would use the return policy if it did not match I got a better pic that the seller tells me represents it in real life .

Here is internet image

gray-blue_2.jpg

Here is the one vendor says represents it well in real life.

image_2074.jpg

Im not sure about this stone now, it is a bit violet and not really blue enough.
Whats peoples thoughts of the stone and value?

Anyone know of any other small blue hearts?
thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only way to know for sure is to view it in person. Hearts are not a common shape, add to the fact that blues are also uncommon, making it exceptionally difficult to recommend/find the right stone. I also do not know your budget.

http://www.leibish.com/blue-diamond/040ct-fancy-intense-blue-heart-si2-94047-16389

Less expensive due to the purple modifier. It does not come with a GIA lab report though, leaving the final grading up in the air.
http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/shop/3136-blue-diamond-heart-shape-0_20-ct-polished.html

_21173.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone looks violet gray to me, not blue gray.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love the shape and color of the one posted by Chrono. I have looked of heart-shaped stones in the past, and it can be difficult to find a heart that is cut well, and that one is beautiful. Often, hearts are cut too wide (to my taste), with a cleft that is not well shaped.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
The OP originally started this thread in Rocky Talk and I suggested he move it here. He is trying to put together three hearts. He already has a purplish pink around .50cts. The gray blue heart he has posted certainly looked violet to me, too. But it is GIA graded grayish blue, so it is odd how the color looks. I asked him what the vendor says about the color, too- but I didn't hear back from him.

Love the blue you posted, Chrono!!! Beautiful blue heart!!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I like the colour of the Leibish one Chrono posted. The extremely thick girdle will make it face up smaller but i guess you can't be too fussy when it comes to rare fcd colours.

VanOrton

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1407511142|3728566 said:
The only way to know for sure is to view it in person. Hearts are not a common shape, add to the fact that blues are also uncommon, making it exceptionally difficult to recommend/find the right stone. I also do not know your budget.

http://www.leibish.com/blue-diamond/040ct-fancy-intense-blue-heart-si2-94047-16389

Less expensive due to the purple modifier. It does not come with a GIA lab report though, leaving the final grading up in the air.
http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/shop/3136-blue-diamond-heart-shape-0_20-ct-polished.html

Thank you very much for sharing these. It is amazing the variation in price per carat for range of the blue colours.

The Leibish Intense blue stone is $140,000 per carat
The langerman deep purplish blue $65,000 per carat.

These blue stones are really something. In comparison with colorless stones a still very rare D / FL heart of .72 carat is $8900 per carat
And this drops to $1400 per carat for a J Si2.

Well the stone I was looking at is 1/3 the price if the langerman stone and not dissimilar so at the moment I think it represents decent value but I will have to see it in real life as people have suggested.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'd like to know what you think of it once you see it -- please let us know about the color. I think the cutting looks interesting.

VanOrton

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1407708010|3729795 said:
I think the cutting looks interesting.

Is that a polite way of saying it looks poor?

It is admittedly a bit fat but I can understand why the cutter would try and retain as much weight as possible with these values

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the price variation speaks for itself when comparing all the FCDs. Any slight nuances of colour can make a huge difference in the price per carat when it comes to diamonds.
Intense saturation >>> $$$ >>> less intense saturation
Pure blue hue >>> $$$ >>> purple modifier

I am also curious about the first heart you posted. I think the cutting could be the cause that funky darkness in the middle of the heart or that could be due to something else, which we cannot tell for sure from the photograph.

VanOrton

Rough_Rock
Well my fingers are crossed and hopefully the stone is not a real disappointment when it arrives. There were some irradiated options and also the grown diamonds but I really hoped to get a genuine blue diamond but it was that bit more tough due to the shape.

When it arrives I will post some pictures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results