shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Emerald Reset

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
About 15 years ago I had an emerald ring made. The stone is Columbian and measures about 5.5 x 7 mm. I A few years later I added 6 diamond sidestones, .20 princess cuts. I wore the ring a lot and have chipped the table a little in two places. I have had a couple of opinions that the emerald could be repolished without losing much weight. Maybe due to PS, or just the fact that my tastes have changed, I am ready for a reset, to give the ring a bit more presence. Here are some pics of the ring as it currently is:

emerald_ring_2_.jpg
emerald_ring_1__3_.jpg
emerald_ring_4__2_.jpg

I would welcome any reset ideas. I don't want to spend a lot on more diamonds, other than perhaps melee size. I would prefer to reuse the stones I have for this project. I have been toying with the idea of an Etruscan inspired ring such as the following examples:

ring-stevenson-etruscan-opal.jpg
etruscan_ring_photo.jpg

I am thinking the little princess cut diamonds could be kite set on the sides. I purchased a couple of round blue sapphires from Jeff Davies to try out as additional sidestones but they were not saturated enough in colour for my emerald. I don't know if I want to add in more colour or not. ( I do love sapphires though and wear one everyday - my ER).

I welcome any ideas from Ps'ers. This community always seems to produce the most amazing rings.
Thanks in advance!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I think rebezeling it might put added stress on the stone, and finely done bezels are difficult to achieve unless you go with a top notch jeweler. I would probably prong set it. Also be careful to make sure that your jeweler doesn't put it in an ultrasonic cleaner as they sometimes do after setting it, or a steam cleaner for that matter. I would set it in high karat yellow gold, as you seem to like yellow metal.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, Thanks TL. I had better give this greater thought. I am worried that if I prong set it I will damage it even more, although I doubt I will wear it that often. Perhaps I should just keep it the way it is and see if my daughter likes it when she is older.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think if you still like your setting you should keep it as it is. I think it's very classic.

Afterglow

Rough_Rock
I actually like the setting that it is in!

If you want to change it up maybe a plain band but keep the bezel.

You should look on etsy for inspiration :)

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
I'm going to go slightly against the grain here I guess, so feel free to pass over my post! I'm years away from having a beautiful emerald of my own, so I just live through others lol.

I think that with a nice repolish in store, you should prong set this beauty! Edwardian style emerald rings are probably my favorite. But this one seems like a nice size for a three or five stone ring. I've posted a few idea picks on hand from Lang's antiques. Set in yellow gold of course, as I feel it really suites the richer green emeralds.

I used to have a bunch more inspiration emerald rings, but they're hiding on my old computer atm. Lol. The five stone could be all regular baguettes or maybe two baguettes and two trilliants, who knows lol.

Okay I'm done! Pardon my emerald love projection. :twirl:

1297730624_30_1_1221__1_of_4_.jpg

1348092117_30_1_5016__2_of_4_.jpg

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Oh Southern Sunset, I absolutely adore those rings from Lang. I just don't have the budget for those sidestones. I think I may just hang onto the ring until I do. I really don't love the setting it is in, but the emerald is lovely. It just doesn't photograph well. It always looks like it has a big dark spot in the middle, but it does not.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like your ring as-is.
I think damage to the emerald is a huge factor in deciding to reset.......and I wouldn't do it.
however, if you're looking to update why not buy some simple and/or not so simple bands to stack it with?
you could have plain gold, diamond, or color stone bands and change the look as your mood changes.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I really like it as it is.
I agree with TL that the stresses of re-bezeling it would be frightening.
More frightening would be the process of de-bezeling it. It would be difficult to remove the stone from the current setting without damaging it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1423499655|3829798 said:
I really like it as it is.
I agree with TL that the stresses of re-bezeling it would be frightening.
More frightening would be the process of de-bezeling it. It would be difficult to remove the stone from the current setting without damaging it.

that is/was my concern as well......might not survive the process......

Mrjamesonneat

Rough_Rock
Have you made a decision about resetting your ring?

I agree, wholeheartedly, with the other comments that the setting is very lovely. I came across your post because I have an emerald ring I'm looking to reset and I would like to have it look like yours. I'm not a professional but I would imagine that you'd likely loose value in the ring (If that's a factor) to have it reset in the Etruscan style, since it's an acquired preference and the style you have now is classic and universally classy. It would be a great ring to pass down to your children.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results