shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with buying a jewelry cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
This might be a dumb question, but I can''t find an answer in the past threads. So an ultra-sonic is safe with diamonds, as long as there''s no pave, but is it ok for colored stones? I want to buy a US for my sapphire, garnet and tourmaline rings - all of those have small diamonds in the setting. Would a US be ok for 1) the colored stones; and 2) the smaller diamonds?

And if yes, any recommendations? I''ve read lots of good things about Jewel Jet. I was also looking at the Sonic Wave Spa

https://products.gemappraisers.com/p-25-ultrasonic-cleaner-the-sonic-wave-spa.aspx

Would one of those be better than the other for colored stones, or diamond melee?

Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never use an ultrasonic cleaner on any stones, even diamonds (they can cause feathers in diamonds to grow). It's funny what a little soapy water and a soft toothbrush will do. US cleaners are not safe for a myriad of colored gems IMHO. It's funny you ask since I went to the jeweler today to get my brownish pink diamond reset in my new mounting. I told her to not clean it with the US cleaner when it was done. She said, "eww, it will be dirty," and I just replied, "that's fine, I'll clean it when I get home." These jewelers with the US cleaners drive me crazy. She once dumped my just finished demantoid ring in there (that's also a gem not safe in US's) and I shreiked, "get it out of there!!" US cleaners are a huge waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I had a nagging feeling that a US might not be safe...and I definitely don''t want to risk my rings in there if they''re not!

I''m sure the jeweler had a great reaction when you told her to get your demantoid out of there!
3.gif

Is a Jewel Jet different, because it uses steam? Or about the same? I am totally clueless about home cleaners!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually steam cleaners are very good for diamonds, and I have a steam cleaner that I use around the house to clean grime all over. Just put your diamond jewelry on a towel and use the steam cleaner on it. You can get these at Target (if you live in the States).

I have this one, I love it,

http://www.scunci-steam-cleaner.com/

You can use it not just to clean your jewelry, but your carpet stains, grout, all surfaces, and just about anything. You don''t need a fancy steam cleaner to do your jewelry.

However, most of the time, a little soap on a soft toothbrush can do wonders.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an US but now I just use it to soak my jewelry in jewelry cleaner and I never turn it on. I had 2 stones come out one of which I lost when it went flying off my tweezers when i picked it up. I have a jewel jet steam cleaner and use it one the weekends but just soaking my jewelry keeps it clean. Of course, I take everyone off whenever I wash my hands and I never put on lotion when i have jewelry on so they stay pretty clean anyway.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Please do not use a steam cleaner on anything except a diamond!

I do use an ultrasonic - but only for stones that I know have no worrying inclusions (I loupe them first).

I only really use it on my garnets and then rarely. My e-ring is fine as I have channel set melee, but I''d never put pave in a US.

Most of the time I stick my rings in an old film pot with some liquid soap, ammonia based jewellery cleaner and hot water overnight. Then I only need the US once in a while.

Most of the time I use it for cleaning my relatives e-rings: we are talking MONTHS of hand lotion and general gunk. Ewwww!

NEVER use a US on emeralds, peridots, opals, pearls - check on google before you put anything in it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It drives me nuts because my jeweler uses an US on EVERYTHING, and they should really know better. I think (suspect) they made some inclusions worse on some of my colored gems by doing this. Now I tell them to not use it.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I use my US on my diamonds that I know have no feathers or inclusions that could be worsened. Everything else gets a scrub with a wee brush and some cleaner.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow... you learn something new everyday. I never knew that an US could make the feathers in a diamond bigger...
6.gif
I don''t use anything except a soft toothbrush and Polident Foam denture cleanser. It works wonders by getting into the tiny areas of the settings that a toothbrush can''t find its way into. Just rinse in hot water. Common sense tells me NOT to use it on pearls or soft stones..........

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Wait, why shouldn''t a jewel jet be used on things other than diamonds? Would my upcoming diamond and tsavorite ring be OK with the occasional blast? Where is this info from?

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 9:52:42 AM
Author: cushioncutnut
Wow... you learn something new everyday. I never knew that an US could make the feathers in a diamond bigger...
6.gif
I don''t use anything except a soft toothbrush and Polident Foam denture cleanser. It works wonders by getting into the tiny areas of the settings that a toothbrush can''t find its way into. Just rinse in hot water. Common sense tells me NOT to use it on pearls or soft stones..........
Polident Foam - really?

Do you use this regularly?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2008 6:49:10 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Wait, why shouldn''t a jewel jet be used on things other than diamonds? Would my upcoming diamond and tsavorite ring be OK with the occasional blast? Where is this info from?
I use it on sapphires, garnets and rubies too so yes - I am curious about this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results