shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Find a Setting For My Montana Sapphire!

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all. I'm a huge newb here, but have been reading a ton and I think you guys saved me from making some bad decisions on stones for my e-ring. Even the stone I got probably has some issues, but I love it to death and love its many moods. Now the hard part of finding a setting for it. I had it placed in a few rings at a local jeweler, just to see how it looked, and I think it looked best in a halo. But I want to keep things relatively small and "dainty," as my fingers aren't very big, and I generally like simple jewelry. I also like milgrain detailing.

I'm a bit nervous about posting my stone, which is silly, because I've been on horse boards for years and years and have gotten used to taking some serious critiques, but maybe because I don't know much about gemstones opening it up for opinion by the knowledgable terrifies me a little bit. Silly, right? Anyhow, here's the best picture I've been able to get (I am, apparently HORRIBLE at photography):

sapphireshade.jpg

It's a pretty dark blueish green. Inside under flourescent lighting it goes a bit greyish-blue. It also has a ton of sparkle/life to it, in pretty much all light, so even when it darkens a bit it's all, "Hey! HI! HI I'M SHINY, LOOK AT ME!!!". I've gotten really attached to it over the week it's been here! Because it does seem to be a bit darker, I think a halo would be a good idea. But for a while I've felt like halos are a bit too much/too big, and it's been hard for me to find one that feels right to me (of course, looking at CADS and online pictures is hard, everything looks so blown up that it looks huge and heavy). We'll probably hit up some jewelry stores over the next couple weeks but I know several people here have great leads for ideas/inspiration. Help a girl out?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the mm size of your stone? Are you considering a white, yellow or other coloured metal? Do you like a simple, ornate, modern or antique style halo? No worries about your stone as what matters most is that you love it. Colour and style is highly personal and there is no right or wrong.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
It is 6.5 mm, and I'd like white metal. I like a lot of vintage style details - migrain and filigree, but want to try to keep everything relatively simple. It's been hard in this whole endeavor to really pin down what I want. Like with the stone I thought I wanted a lighter one, but when I found lighter ones with the green tones I liked, I didn't really love them. Turns out it was actually a darker stone that made me happy, but I probably wouldn't have gone looking for it. And I never really liked halos till I saw the stone sitting in one.

I thought this one was sort of interesting:
https://www.josephjewelry.com/custom-engagement-rings/1397.php

And they could probably add some milgrain or engraving to it as a nod to the more antique-y rings I like, but I wanted to get some more ideas too. Especially since I have a tendency to end up loving things I don't think I'll like (I can't count the number of times I didn't like a dress until someone pushed me to try it on)

(also, not trying to be apologetic about my stone at all, but the guy at the jewelry store was sort of snarky about it and going on about how he could get me a montana sapphire for $200. Which, yes, I could too, but I wanted *this* one. It made me a little defensive!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lovely swirly almost bypass halo! Would it bother you that your wedding band will not be flush to your e-ring with this design?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think so, but I'd have to try some on to be sure. Though I've also seen some bands that are curved to lie against halos or other non-straight rings, so that could possibly be done as well. This all is so overwhelming to me, I don't generally wear jewelry at all. other than my mother's old bypass style engagement ring, so it's a big learning curve.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally, I prefer a non curved wedding band as it allows me the option to wear it alone without looking odd. There are times where I don't feel comfortable wearing my e-ring out or do certain activities, yet I want to wear a band, so this is when a more traditional un-curved band looks great worn alone. Just something to decide if you want this option.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Simple & milgrain & filigree, maybe halo, is hard to combine, but I get how you feel -- kind of put the whole menu out there & then start choosing.

Chrono has a good point about the wedding ring -- if I were doing it, I'd visit some jewelry stores & try on sets with curved bands -- & the bands alone, to see how you like them. Hanging with horses as you do, you could want to wear the band without the e-ring. (I love your avatar, btw! That guy's opinion is clear, lol.)

What about something along these lines? The halo is not overwhelming & it has sort-of milgrain on the shank -- you could ace the shank diamonds & have more milgrain, too, if you wanted. Just trying to get an idea of what appeals to you.

I like your Montana very much. Love Montana sapphires & its teal-y gray has real personality. Looks like one you'd never get tired of -- different in all lights.

--- Laurie

968901_537851882929085_310404450_n.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely like the more understated halo there - I could see something like that working very well. Maybe with some tapering on the shanks to give it some more shape? I wouldn't mind a few side stones, actually, but probably not all the way down the shank like some I've seen.

The point about the band is definitely very good and not something I'd thought about a lot. See, I don't think about these things. But there are a lot of scenarios where I probably would only be wearing the band. That seems obvious, but the obvious often escapes me. For a band ideally just a very narrow plain band with milgrain edges like this guywould make me very happy.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Is there a budget we need to stick with? You had my heart at halo setting!!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of halo settings BUT the one that JewelFreak posted above is lovely! your Montana sapphire would still be the star of the show and I don't think be overwhelmed by all the diamonds. nice find, Jewel!

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Deskjockey.
Best wishes on your engagement!
You have already have some PriceScopers with excellent taste and a lot more knowledge than me helping you out, but hopefully you won't mind a newbie chiming in, too.

I think your stone is lovely! Below please find some different types of settings that you might like, based upon your comments. Hope these help inspire you. :naughty:

The first is a sold ring that used to be for sale on the Etsy store, AntiqueRingLady.
Beverley K. also has sev. halo rings that have an antique look to them. The second & third photos are Beverley K options you might like. If you do, I'd suggest checking out their website.
Finally, there are, of course, lots of pretty settings with diamond accents that aren't necessarily halo settings. The fourth photo is a sold art deco setting that sings to me.

Good luck w/ the hunt!

art_deco_ring_from_antiqueringlady_on_etsy.jpg

beverley_k_r397_a_8_0rd_-d_d_m.jpg

beverly_k_r9424_a-d_1.jpg

art_deco_ring_from_1stdibs.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
SB621|1371750900|3469425 said:

I was hoping to stick under $2000 :) We may have some flexibility on that, but didn't want to stray too far. I hope that's realistic!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
re your $2k budget: lose the diamonds on the shank [perhaps widen the shank a bit?] and do the setting head of the one JewelFreak posted!

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Also a newbie here so not at all experienced but have been obsessing about settings lately.
Here are a few I think would be nice. Also if you like that antique style you should look at Sally from heart of water (she is on the reccomended vendors list here) http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeartofWaterJewels....... I have been obsessing about her lately, her stuff is stunning. Am seriously thinking of getting her to customise my ring :love:

_7375.jpg

_7376.jpg

_7377.jpg

_7378.jpg

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, don't think that link is working, but she is listed in recommended vendors.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What metal do you want to use?

Love the stone! Can we get more pics please! Great photographic skillz for someone who hasn't been doing it too long!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
deskjockey|1371753767|3469455 said:
SB621|1371750900|3469425 said:

I was hoping to stick under $2000 :) We may have some flexibility on that, but didn't want to stray too far. I hope that's realistic!

2k is a really great budget. I will be back on tonight with options! You have no idea what you are about to get hit with :o ;)) Any other details before I start to look through my inspiration folder that you would prefer?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1371759181|3469509 said:
What metal do you want to use?

Love the stone! Can we get more pics please! Great photographic skillz for someone who hasn't been doing it too long!

Here's one in direct sunlight
sapph_direct_sun.jpg

and one I took with my cell phone inside (under flourescent lighting). Much more oceany-blue (atlantic, not caribbean, haha). It's weird, on my phone it looks really teal, but when I move the photo to the computer it's much more grey-blue (and horribly out of focus). Reality is somewhere in between?

sapphinside.jpg

Quennoo

Rough_Rock
Well done on the Montana. I am a huge fan and I m just about to go and try the wax mockup of my ring today. Centre stone is 7.1x7.3. My stone like yours has many 'moods' I love how it changes in the light!

I have found some great design inspiration from these guys in boulder
http://jalbrechtdesigns.com/designarchive1.html

They are modern with some vintage twists!

Good luck!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
SB, those rings are stunning! I think the second pic, Edwardian style ring would look fab with your stone.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Scarlett1|1371793331|3469831 said:
SB, those rings are stunning! I think the second pic, Edwardian style ring would look fab with your stone.

I love mixing shapes- in this case an RB with a hexagon halo! I think the look is just amazing and more eye pleasing then a plain/ regular halo.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
The hexagon is a really neat idea, actually. I might have to investigate that! Again, it's hard when I can't see it on my picture, everything on the computer screen looks so big!

And oh my, the detailing on that edwardian ring made me salivate just a little. :p

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
SB621|1371775714|3469686 said:
An option over at Jbeg- not a halo but I just love this setting:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Mountings/Estate-Mounting-7mm-Asha-OMC/20814490_Xn66bM#!i=1652260219&k=tcFNmgd

And another one- halo without diamonds. Your stone is a bit big so it will sit on top a bit more but I still think doable.
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Mountings/Antique-Art-Deco-Filigree/21760538_gV3BGd#!i=1734627178&k=rMM939j

She also has a neat cushion shaped halo mounting, for a round stone, that has a lot of details I like. But there's an awful lot of finger coverage there. (on the other hand, the shape of that one might fit a little better with a straight/regular band:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Mountings/Split-Shank-Halo-Mounting/21431411_pRsjBw#!i=1707654279&k=Nv9xPGP

And the jeweler from the first one I posted (the swoopy sort of wrap-turned-halo), said that milgrain detailing and such could be added, and in my price range. So many decisions.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
So, as is my way, I tried on a million halo settings and had my list of the top five and then we ended up getting a random antiquey-styled 6 prong setting out of the clearance case that is not even a halo (it's a sort of tiny half-halo, it has framing on two sides but not all the way around. The lady at the store totally called my like for vintage style things when she pulled it out). But I feel a lot better about not spending the extra money - I know *HE* was spending it, but it's all the same thing really :) I'm pretty happy and think we did awesome on a low budget!

I don't have pictures yet, stone is getting set and all that, but will post when I do.

As an aside, I love my stone but know it isn't perfect, but had to laugh when three separate people in the store asked it it was a blue diamond when they first saw it. Or maybe they were trying to stroke my ego, I dunno :)

I just wanted to thank you guys for all the help and inspiration, I didn't ask a lot of questions but have learned a ton reading and watching. A lot of you helped me without me even asking anything (of course now I can't wait to slowly start the garnet collection!). =)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations -- I'm glad you found a setting you're happy with! I really like that...ahem, blue diamond of yours & the setting sounds great for it. Looking forward to photos when it's finished!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the feeling when the right setting just jumps out at you even though you never considered it. I can't wait to see pictures of the completed ring.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Size 5. I felt like a lot of the halos I tried on, while beautiful, were just too much for my finger (and for me in general, I am not a "blingy" person really). And almost anything with side stones felt too wide/uncomfortable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results