shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a Montana Sapphire?

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
This is my first post to colored stones. I recently bought an engagement ring (Van Craeynest 484) that I will wear on my right hand, so I think a colored stone may be just the ticket. I feel a little funny wearing it with a diamond.

I've looked around a bit, and there is a blueish-green (perhaps greenish-blue?) color I really like that I've seen on Montana sapphires. I'll attach a couple of sample pictures here. I've seen the stickie on vendors, the length of the list is a little overwhelming and I was hoping to benefit from the knowledge of folks here.

So ... Montana Sapphire, color blue/green, round, size: 4.7 mm. May range from 4.5 - 5, but not outside those parameters to fit in my existing setting. Tell me if this is a bad idea, but because it's a vintage setting I was thinking a vintage cut (which I've not actually seen amongst the colored gemstones I've shopped online). OEC, OMC, etc. Side note: Should I have it custom cut? Richard Homer etc ...

So thanks in advance for any help you can give! I really appreciate it. I'm going to attach below examples of color.

5d9bc85fa61d9c2414617b85b9a7fa74.jpg
untitled_31.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vintage cuts are not advantageous to coloured stones, which is why they are uncommon. You will have to get one custom cut if you prefer a specific cut and even then, it will not be exact because the cut angles suitable for coloured stones are very different from diamonds. Do you have a budget? RH is not inexpensive.

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1426776147|3849519 said:
Vintage cuts are not advantageous to coloured stones, which is why they are uncommon. You will have to get one custom cut if you prefer a specific cut and even then, it will not be exact because the cut angles suitable for coloured stones are very different from diamonds. Do you have a budget? RH is not inexpensive.

Thanks for your reply. Okay, I wondered about that -- I like the cut on the bottom of the two I posted, what would that be considered? I guess I'd like to spend around $600, is that unrealistic? I haven't seen any for sale as small as what I want, but the closest was around $800.

What is RH?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
RH - richard homer.

You might want to contact this guy: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/AlternativesLapidary?ref=pr_faveshops IIRC he had some montana rough, he might have something or be able to procure something and cut it just for you.

Also, Shannon D. usually has some smaller rounds:
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/MountainMommaGems (i didn't see anything quite the color of what you posted, but she's wonderful so I would check in with her).

Both of them should price reasonably in your price range for that size :)

Earth's Treasury and Blaze at blazengems.com are also two places I would contact.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huldak|1426778210|3849555 said:
Thanks for your reply. Okay, I wondered about that -- I like the cut on the bottom of the two I posted, what would that be considered? I guess I'd like to spend around $600, is that unrealistic? I haven't seen any for sale as small as what I want, but the closest was around $800.

What is RH?

Those are a busier cut than the usual round brilliant. I'm sure there's a design name for them but there are tens to hundreds of round cut designs, many of which, do not have a specific name (or if it does, hardly anyone can keep track of them as a whole). Many lapidaries charge not only by the material cost but also cutting time, therefore, cutting a smaller stone isn't profitable. It takes almost as much time to cut a 0.5 ct stone as it does to cut a 2 ct stone. This is why the sweet middle ground tends to be the 1 ct to 2 ct stones.

RH = Richard Homer

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not an expert on Montana sapphire but i think that the color you've posted is going to be expensive.......pretty much ideal.
if you're not in a hurry you may find something affordable but a bit more than your budget....but the positive of that is you can save more $ for the stone while you're searching!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found one for you within budget, a round with a chunky cut, and the colour looks promising BUT I don't want to post it until I know you are online. I hope the website is up to date and that it isn't on hold/sold...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When the price point is low, I am more careful about lurkers. Hope it's what you are looking for. If not, won't take it personally. :))
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7917

Same stone, just different looks depending on the light source. Won't look this great all the time but can when the light is right.

30983.jpg

30985.jpg

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Chrono, that is a beautiful stone. I hope I don't regret not snapping this one up, but I'm looking for something with a little more green, I think. I'm going to look at it a bit more though with the lurker caveat in mind ...

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
movie zombie|1426782832|3849597 said:
not an expert on Montana sapphire but i think that the color you've posted is going to be expensive.......pretty much ideal.
if you're not in a hurry you may find something affordable but a bit more than your budget....but the positive of that is you can save more $ for the stone while you're searching!

Oh darn. Well, I have good taste at least. Or at least common taste ... I've just sent VC an email about changing the head on this ring. If I decided to do that, my size parameters won't be as strict.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour I posted (more blue and less green) is the preferred colour but if you want more green, let's keep looking. I've asked Van Craeynest in the not so distant past about changing out the head to accommodate a larger stone and was quoted somewhere in the $1K range just for the new basket (labour included).

Jerry Newman might have something (website inventory is sorely outdated).
http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1426785617|3849618 said:
The colour I posted (more blue and less green) is the preferred colour but if you want more green, let's keep looking. I've asked Van Craeynest in the not so distant past about changing out the head to accommodate a larger stone and was quoted somewhere in the $1K range just for the new basket (labour included).

Jerry Newman might have something (website inventory is sorely outdated).
http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html

Thanks -- just sent him an email.

ETA: skimmed right through that VC comment. Okay, super information. I'm not changing the head on a ring I bought second-hand!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are much too large (and more expensive than the other 2 vendors). If interested, I would inquire further because most of these show green blue to my eye but the description says "no green". :confused:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
So, this seems a little bizarre. Not quite the color I wanted, but the right size and $65 ... (?)

blazengems.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1426786123|3849624 said:
These are much too large (and more expensive than the other 2 vendors). If interested, I would inquire further because most of these show green blue to my eye but the description says "no green". :confused:

see: Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_512
at the website Chrono posted.
not as nice to my eye as the ones you posted but it is only $795!

eta: stone in picture of ring you posted seems dull and lifeless.........

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huldak|1426789736|3849648 said:
So, this seems a little bizarre. Not quite the color I wanted, but the right size and $65 ... (?)
blazengems.jpg

Secondhand or directly from Blaze? Any chance of a review/return? Any additional pictures?
I agree with MZombie that it looks gray and drab, but then again, the entire backdrop of that photo looks gray and drab too. The workmanship of the ring is atrocious but for $65 might be all right if you love it?

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
movie zombie|1426789781|3849649 said:
Chrono|1426786123|3849624 said:

see: Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_512
at the website Chrono posted.
not as nice to my eye as the ones you posted but it is only $795!

eta: stone in picture of ring you posted seems dull and lifeless.........

Really gorgeous! But too big for my setting. Re the ring picture, yeah, I was hoping it just needs to be cleaned, lol ...

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
Chrono I just (impulsively before even posting) bought this [ETA, the stone in the ring, above] directly from blaze, so it's returnable. I figured they were just sending me the stone not the ring but whatever ... I guess maybe I'll get an ugly ring too? Anyone need an ugly ring? ... :lol:

I also found a gorgeous piece of rough I am inquiring about, but I think it's probably going to be silly for me to have such a small stone cut.

rough.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The listing is for over $200 so I don't know how you got it for $65. :confused: The description also states that is a purple sapphire that changes from purple to blue under different lighting. I'm confused; are we looking at the same sapphire?

Buying and cutting rough is extremely risky for beginners. Take a look around and you'll see the surprises many have underwent. Most ended up not the colour and/or size they wanted. Please slow down; CS has a far steeper learning curve than diamonds.

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I just noticed that under "jewelry." I found it under loose stones where I bought it for $65. Clearly a mistake, I'll have to call them.

Okay, no rough cutting. ;-)

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
It was indeed a mistake. They sent me a picture of the actual stone, which I passed on as being too green.
blaze_green_sapphire.jpg

sani987cece

Rough_Rock
I am a huge RH fan. The last stone you posted... Perhaps you might ask for him to take a picture in a different light?

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
That was from Blaze. I told her it was too green and she showed me another, but I wasn't crazy about it.

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I spoke with a Shelley, so I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same vendor. I really like that Gemfix sapphire, so I'll wait for something in the right size.

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
I will be following this thread with interest! I'm undergoing a similar hunt, but with a smaller budget :) If a stone is more than $200, no need to worry that I'll poach it! Lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results