shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a round blue sapphire

haplessfrank

Rough_Rock
Hi PS,

I am trying to find a sapphire for an engagement ring. The following is her criteria...

- Round cut
- Blue hue (some violet secondary is okay)
- Very saturated, medium to medium-dark tone (please see attached photo for color)
- Approximately 6-7mm
- No treatment except heat
- Minimal zoning and extinction
- Minimal windows
- "sparkly"

Would like to spend under 5K.

as the topic says.... "help!" :shock:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know, from the pictures the first one looks to me like it has some weird extinctions going on - is that just me? The second is lovely especially for the price, though.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
deskjockey|1418934231|3803761 said:
I don't know, from the pictures the first one looks to me like it has some weird extinctions going on - is that just me? The second is lovely especially for the price, though.

The first one looks like less flood lighting to me but the second one shows well in the pics. and the price is the best of them all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with the second one is the final sale policy. It is probably fine for someone who knows what they are doing and accepts the risk, probably not recommended for someone looking for an e-ring stone.

The first one looks good for the price but the reason for that is because the saturation level isn't very high.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see:
1) Extinction issues with the first, but a decent price for the color;
2) lack of violet secondary (or so it seems from the pics of the LT one). But if you ask either of the two recent owners and they say it does have a violet secondary (looks slightly green in pics), I would go for this one. Jeff White's cutting is nothing to sneeze at!
3) blue fingers, which means since the entire pic is inadvertently tilted towards the blue end of the scale, the photo is likely overstating the blue a bit.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I personally wouldn't worry about the final sale policy on the 2nd one since color looks wonderful the size is what is required and the cutting is from Jeff White.

The first stone is returnable if not within specs required and is 1/3 the price of the last and looks just as good to me.

If returns are an issue I would try the first one first but personally would order the 2nd.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest that anyone who is interested in the Jeff White sapphire to do a search here in CS where there are additional pictures in other threads. It does not look like this all of the time. You have to love darker tones in order to be happy with this one as it is probably bordering medium dark at best. Since the OP is looking at medium to medium dark, it might not be the right stone for her/him.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1418952065|3803923 said:
I suggest that anyone who is interested in the Jeff White sapphire to do a search here in CS where there are additional pictures in other threads. It does not look like this all of the time. You have to love darker tones in order to be happy with this one as it is probably bordering medium dark at best. Since the OP is looking at medium to medium dark, it might not be the right stone for her/him.

Good to know.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1418952065|3803923 said:

Agreed!
Sapphires can be very mercurial, I think having a return policy is better especially if the OP doesn't have a lot of experience with colored stones. Personally I would feel comfortable buying the stone, but I know I love over saturated gems so I doubt it'd be overdark for me! But I already have 4 sapphire rings lol

haplessfrank

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help and the links to those stones, I'll take a look at them and be back with questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results