shape
carat
color
clarity

help finding ~20 carat matched ruby parcel for project

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I'm looking for a parcel of rubies for a necklace. I'm aiming for about 18-25 cts / 36-50 stones of about 50 points each. I'd like them to be:
- natural ruby
- matched
- red to hot pinky red with no brown
- clear rather than overly included/milky (some inclusions are fine)
- well saturated
- not too dark as I'd like the color to show well despite the size and they'll be bezeled
- shape wise, not square, rectangular or elongated ovals (though I might bend on that)

I'm ok with with heat treatment. I'd prefer to avoid fracture filled, oiled, waxing, surface diffusion, etc, but might consider it depending on how the search goes.

I'd love any suggestions on where to source these stones, and what I would expect to pay. I know there's going to be a range even within these specs, so if you could suggest either what the range might be, or what you think particular specs would cost taht would be great.

Even better would be to direct me to a particular parcel!

I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Exactly what is your budget on this interesting project? Because I think the cost would be pretty astronomical.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know where you could buy a parcel like that all at once save from direct from cutters/major dealers. The jewelers I've seen with items like that, outside of Harry Winston, etc, all collected and matched the stones one by one over, like, a decade. Your best bet is to start contacting jewelers, cutters and dealers and see if their sources or contacts might have some you can buy.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Hi SB621 and distracts,

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking for much lower quality stones than I think I suggested, and they don't need to be excellent or perfectly matched (until I can sketch something, the best I can describe the design is that they be be sitting a little ways from each other in most instances, and on the closer ones I'd pick the better matched set. It's a fun project that I'd like to get done for a few thousand. I've seen some parcels of rubies that are 2-4k that would be suitable (included but nicely color matched, for instance), but not living here in the US ( with much less travel), so don't have easy access to anything.

It's more the overall effect that I'm going for, not for someone to say, what great stones. I was thinking the heat treatment would get me into an ok price range, but if not, id rescale the number of stones or look at different stones.

Thanks again for both responses.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1374557880|3488290 said:
InToTheMystic|1374553507|3488241 said:
I'm not sure if the sizes are going to be adequate for what you're after, but Gemselect has quite a few 'bundles' of 50 or so rubies (heated) for relatively cheap prices.

http://gemselect.com/ruby/ruby-338276.php

Those are tiny, though.

Yeah they definitely are. It's one of the few large passels of rubies that I've seen around though. Not sure if the intended design is adaptive, or if the supplier has larger ones available that aren't on the website.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It would be a good idea to ask if they have others. Even if the OP is not looking for top quality, finding that many rubies of that size will probably take some time. They still need to be matched for size & cut, if not precisely for color & saturation.

--- Laurie

SB621

Ideal_Rock
For 2-4k I think your only option is BE treated rubies.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Hi InToTheMystic, Lady Disdain and Laurie - InToTheMystic, thanks for finding that parcel - it's definitely the right idea, and I've contact Gemart to see if they have larger stones. I can adapt the design somewhat (it's sort of a tassel with the rubies at the ends , around the top of the tassel and DBTY along the chain) but think they need to be larger.

Hi SB621 - your signature is hysterical. You may be right about the BE treated, and that may be the fallback depending on how hard this is ....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll need to loosen up your requirements if you want to stay within $4K. As it stands, even if none of the stones match, I expect the rubies to add up to at least $20K, even that is being overly optimistic. $40K and upwards is more realistic if you are looking for 50 stones. These are not top colour but the pricing reflects that. No guarantees that these have not been oiled or fracture filled or anything like that since stones this small are not typically inspected individually with such scrutiny.

0.26 ct parcel of 279 rounds at $15/each
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1726099523

0.21 ct parcel of 25 rounds at $21/each with better colouration
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1473738202

0.25 ct parcel of 68 rounds at $18/each
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1027445817

0.4 ct parcel of 57 trilliants at $29/each
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?101656224

0.21 ct parcel of 75 pears at $9/each
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1987267800

These ovals are not as nice but they are bigger (cut and colour issues)
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1435662915
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1847306478

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono - thanks very much for those links. They're very close what I was hoping to find. I'm going to contact Multicolor to see if they have any other parcels that may fit (eg slightly larger rounds/pears), but if not, one of these may work, like the .26 rounds. I have a soft spot for pears so might go in that direction.

All - there seems to be a 10x multiple from fracture filled to only heat treated, and as Chrono notes it's hard to guarantee which is which. Is there a good way to sort out which is which (eg even just buying from a reputable vendor)?

thanks everyone -

Silverbackmp

Rough_Rock
Glasse filled rubies are exceedingly common and not rare; your talking $5 per carat (or less) for .50. Translucent good colored no heat rubies even at .50 carats are rare. Heat only for the same quality .50s are very scarce. for .50-.60 sizes I would hazard an educated guess of $100-150 retail (I've bought at $60 but for uncalibrated stones close to the source). .96s or higher would see another 10 fold increase in price ($1000-1500 per carat).

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yes of course there is a big difference between fracture filled or BE treated stones vs heated. With heating the stone is applied to heat to bring out the color. While it is not celebrated and does bring down the price of unheated rubies it is common enough and accepted. Most ppl will not accept fracture filling or BE treated rubies as they are more glass or treatment vs ruby. To me at this point it stops being a gemstone and is more a piece of science. It looses all appeal.

Might I suggest instead of lowering the quality of gemstones for this project that you use another type of gemstone? Garnet would be a low cost option and it is still extremely inexpensive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suspect some sort of fracture filling for the Multicolour rubies since pricing for heat only 0.5 carat rubies of average quality (has some brown) is already in the $150 range.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
*** meant to say garnet is a low cost option and extremely accessible!

Sorry didn't have my morning coffee

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
+1 on SB621's suggestion of garnets. I've actually thought about a dby with less costly colored stones.... Also, I would try our go to guys: Dana at Mastercut gems and John at Litnon. Never can tell what they have in the back of their cupboards :loopy:

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - thanks very much for all the thoughts, and sorry about the slow reply - I was out for some minor emerg surgery. The quick update - I can't seem to find parcels that are definitely not fracture filled (even at a low quality level) as all the prices seem too good, and I'm not sure fracture filled will stand up to the project. I'm going to look into a few more sources but expect more of the same. I haven't seen a color of garnet that I love in the same way but will poke around there ( please let me know if I'm missing some source for ruby-like pink/red). If all this fails, I'll park this and move on to the next project, as I have some funds squirrelled away and am looking for something to do!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
simurgh|1376174527|3500460 said:
Hi everyone - thanks very much for all the thoughts, and sorry about the slow reply - I was out for some minor emerg surgery. The quick update - I can't seem to find parcels that are definitely not fracture filled (even at a low quality level) as all the prices seem too good, and I'm not sure fracture filled will stand up to the project. I'm going to look into a few more sources but expect more of the same. I haven't seen a color of garnet that I love in the same way but will poke around there ( please let me know if I'm missing some source for ruby-like pink/red). If all this fails, I'll park this and move on to the next project, as I have some funds squirrelled away and am looking for something to do!

Stinks but I honestly think you are going to have to park it. It is very difficult to find parcels. I was trying to find a matching set of 4 anything for a set of earrings. After 3 years I gave up and my budget was pretty cushy. I think you will either need to look into uping your budget amount considerable or piecing together lots and hoping to find enough that matches.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results