shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever viewed any of your gems under a microscope?

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
My first purchase of a colored gem(aside from road side dealers in the mountains of NC as a kid) was a blue star sapphire. I bought the stone with the plan of getting it mounted into a gents ring. I bought it from a large, well known Philadelphia jeweler who has a store here in De, Robbins 8th and Walnut(now just called Robbins). I went in looking for a star sapphire, because I'd seen a client wearing one and I liked it. Ironically, when I later asked more detail about that client's sapphire, he admitted that his was simulated....

So I buy the sapphire and check out a suitable semi mount, only to be informed they had a backlog of work for their jeweler, so I'd have to wait as much as 6 weeks to have it mounted, so I decided not to wait, and went to another jeweler. This jeweler had the time to do it within a week, so I picked out a mount and waited. In the mean time, I bought my 2nd-ever loose gem, a radiant cut metallic raspberry colored tourmaline of approx 3cts from GSN(in 2003). I happened to have that gem with me when I dropped by the jeweler to check on the progress of my ring. I showed him the tourmaline and asked whether it was genuine. He apparently didnt have a refractometer there, because instead he used a fairly large gemstone microscope to look at it really closely.

I dont know the magnification he used, but I will describe it like this. The tourmaline is like 99% eye clean. if you look at it with your naked eye closely, you probably wont find anything inside it. But I did manage to find a tiny little wisp of an inclusion later on, but its tough to do. Anyway, I describe its eye visible condition, because when we looked at it under a gem microscope, it was kinda amazing. What we saw were these tiny internal crystals here and there. Imagine a fully formed natural uncut gem crystal that hasnt been weathered, like maybe an amethyst or a tourmaline crystal. Thats what we were seeing inside this stone in a few places. There werent a lot of them, and they absolutley are not visible to the naked eye or with my loupe, but with this microscope they are right there inside the stone. I guess they are separate crystals that grew within the main crystal that was cut into my gemstone. There were also some little inclusions here and there, but very small and not eye visible.

Its strange how a gem that looks really clean can instead have oddities inside it that you dont even know are there.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Have you ever viewed any of your gems under a microscope

Only with a loupe, not a microscope. I have only viewed my diamonds under a microscope. :(sad

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You would be surprised how much you can see with good macro mode on a camera as well.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I recently took gem identification courses at GIA and I could not STOP looking at the stones under the microscope (the instructor scolded me a few times for it). It’s so amazing to see that whole world inside the stones.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

athenaworth|1396890794|3649043 said:
I recently took gem identification courses at GIA and I could not STOP looking at the stones under the microscope (the instructor scolded me a few times for it). It’s so amazing to see that whole world inside the stones.

Could you describe it? What did you see?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

It is a whole new world inside, isn't it, Athena? A jeweler let me look at my blue spinel under his scope & like you, I didn't want to stop. It was like going under deep blue water where magic lived. I could see the crystals as well as a horsetail that is otherwise just barely visible with a loupe -- I felt I was looking back through millennia of history when the stone was forming. It's a living thing!

--- Laurie

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

JewelFreak|1396900982|3649138 said:
It is It's a living thing!

--- Laurie
That's a beautiful way to describe it! Words like that revitalize my love for stones.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My first impression is typically "whoa, let me check and make sure its the right stone" because what can look so clear one minute is so full of whisps and bits and clouds and specks...

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade

All of the time but like TL said, you can also get a pretty good look just from using a camera with macro. This is a shot of a sunstone I took awhile back. It was set on macro (not super-macro which my camera is capable of) and I used Gimp software to crop and enlarge the picture. You can get a great look at the schiller in the stone and by using the super-macro and Gimp, I could probably get near a 30X magnification. I could even make a movie if I'd take the time to learn how to do it with my camera but I'd rather play with the rocks :mrgreen:

Pete

sunstone7.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great photo, Pete. Looks a bit like looking at a colored ice cube.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Love that photo, Pete. It's so interesting to see the schiller so clearly & the color is a pleasure. I get a thrill out of almost seeing backward through long history -- what they've picked up, what's in them as they developed. You see how organic they are. After I peeked at my spinel through a microscope I wanted to poll my neighbors for a kid's outgrown one. Never got around to it but I still may. Then I'll turn into a microscope geek.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results