shape
carat
color
clarity

Guess These Stones

uber

Rough_Rock
can anybody guess what stones these are? they're being sold as blue topaz but after research, i haven't seen this kind of shade for blue topaz (blue with hints of green like teal-ish).

thinking of buying them bec i love the color but just curious.

help!

greenish_blue_topaz.jpg

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
They could be anything, including synthetic. How much is the seller asking for them?

uber

Rough_Rock
selling at $40/pc. i've bought diamonds and emeralds from her before and the prices are always good and the stones are real and of good quality (after having them appraised back home).

seller says the blue topaz ones ones are from africa

uber

Rough_Rock
is there any way to test topaz (like diamonds have the testers ) or do they have to be tested in a lab?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are 4 basic blue topazes:

1. Untreated. This is typically a very pale blue, Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems typically has some.
2. Sky Blue topaz - Typically a pale blue, roughly the color of the sky, with a hint of green to it.
3. Swiss blue topaz - Or Electric blue topaz, this is a greenish blue, almost neon looking.
4. London Blue topaz - Typically a stormy gray-greenish blue, almost navy in color with bright blue flashes.

Topaz is really pretty cheap. Untreated should be the most expensive, London second, Swiss third and Sky fourth. Besides the rare untreated variety, topaz is brought to these color blues by being irradiated like crazy, to the extent that they arelightly radioactive for a time after treatment. By the time they are put on the market, the radioactivity has had the time to wear off.

I don't know the size on those stones, but unless they are very small, that seems like a reasonable price for me, and not worth sending to a lab, so long as you like the look of what you're getting for what you're paying. It's likely "Swiss" topaz, so be aware that it is highly treated, but the color is really quite fantastic.

ETA: If you know someone with a refractometer, you can get an RI reading, which is typically adequate to guess the stone species. There are obviously other tests as well, but for your question on these stones, it's probably fine. Topaz RI: 1.609 - 1.643

uber

Rough_Rock
frekechild, thank you!!! i will look for a london blue. if not, i'll take these ones :)

she's selling another (pic attached). it's really pale pale blue (almost white in the middle but bluish on the sides) but when i took the photo, the color changed to this bright blue. is it correct to say that this square one has a huge window?

thanks again!

square_topaz.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone isn't quite flat, so we're looking at it from a slight angle, but yes, that appears to be a tilt window. If it looks like that while you are looking directly straight at it, then yes, it is a window.

uber

Rough_Rock
is tilt window ok? i know that window at the bottom is not good if you look at it upright.

uber

Rough_Rock
First time i heard if apatite. If it's $40/pc, is it worth it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm confused; do you not trust the seller's word that these stones are as stated? If you don't, then why do you continue to purchase from this person?

uber

Rough_Rock
Just havent seen this kind of color when i was looking at blue topazes on the internet and wondered so i asked helped from you guys (the experts)

uber

Rough_Rock
But since frekechild said they might be swiss topaz, i got an idea. Dont even know if my keweler knows apatite since she's not a big time jeweler

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does this help?

topaz_blues.jpg

uber

Rough_Rock
Chrono, thank you! Bought them today. Looking at how to set them :)

uber

Rough_Rock
Will topaz be strong enough to withstand an everyday ring with this setting? Will it get chipped if i wear it everyday or will a halo be better? Thanks!

_25077.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
uber|1417502438|3793739 said:
frekechild, thank you!!! i will look for a london blue. if not, i'll take these ones :)

she's selling another (pic attached). it's really pale pale blue (almost white in the middle but bluish on the sides) but when i took the photo, the color changed to this bright blue. is it correct to say that this square one has a huge window?

thanks again!

Could be blue quartz too, which I believe is irradiataed, synthesized or coated (blue transparent quartz doesn't occur naturally).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on how active your hands are. Even diamonds get chipped if worn 24/7 (sleeping, gardening, working out, etc).

uber

Rough_Rock
Mostly office work and i will leave the ring on a saucer at the end of the day.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should be good for daily wear then.

uber

Rough_Rock
Chrono - thanks! :)

TL - the oval ones are topaz. Used a refractometer :) The square one i didn't bother with anymore

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results