shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Sapphire Filigree Ring

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I've recieved a lovely silver filigree setting from Janeliunas Jewelry to try out this 2.4ct. Montana sapphire in as an e-ring. I like(d) the gem sitting on a white backing, but the previously annoying window seems to have opened up with this bottomless filigree setting - now it's huge and I can't get more than half of the gem to return/show color under any lighting conditions. Usually it just shows color/flash around the perimeter. When parts do flash, the effect is stunning! What would be the best avenue to pursue to close the window - a recut or a different setting with a bottom? I doubt she would mind losing a little ct. weight, and I know she wants a filigree setting. The recut may have the added benefit of eliminating a chip on the girdle from careless handling. What's ballpark $$ on a recut, and how much could the window be closed up? I know she digs the checkerboard-top cut, but is it part of the leaking problem here? Thanks in advance for your valued advice!

sany0009.jpg

sany0012.jpg

_15965.jpg

sany0018.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a few things going on:
1. True window - this doesn't look too large and can be closed up with a pavilion tweak (if the lapidary can confirm this with the stone in hand and if it has sufficient depth to work with) or be made less obvious if the stone has a more enclosed basket.
2. Tilt window - can be minimized by the same method used in #1. Some degree of a tilt window is normal though.
3. Shadowing - half of the stone appears dark whilst another half is bright. Not sure what you can do about this.

Depending on how much tweaking is done, I expect it to cost no more than $100, probably closer to $50. Many posters, myself included, have had great experiences with Jerry Newman.
http://www.gemartservices.com/about.htm

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Be aware that lighter tone/saturation stones will sometimes appear even lighter and less saturated after a recut. But it may be a risk worth taking. The checkerboard top should actually be masking the window. What are the dimensions? The depth of the stone relative to width is decisive in determining how much weight and size you will lose. A clever setting may also help mask things...

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
It measures (on my plastic Home Despot calipers) appx. 6.2 x 8.0 x 4.5mm, with 4.5 being the overall depth.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not rely on plastic calipers' readings. Check the paperwork for the sapphire to see if the measurements are listed.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that I would not rely on plastic calipers. But if those measurements are accurate, you may have the possibility of tweaking the pavilion a bit to close the window. That, combined with the right setting may end up making it successful - and may in fact, make its color slightly more saturated as well. :praise: Please keep us posted and come back along the way, or at the very least, when its finished. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results