shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet Rock Question

QTipPoker

Rough_Rock
When I was a boy, my neighbor had a large rock collection and gave me this garnet. He said it was from a garnet mine in Canada. I've held onto it for about 30 years now. Just curious what it's worth or what I could do with it. Any ideas?

Thanks.img_20140808_123726349.jpg

img_20140808_123659804.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
A quick gander at ebay suggests that it's not really "worth" much of anything, unless it's gem grade (from your photos, doesn't look like it) or a rare type (also doesn't look like it though I'm not the most educated!) In a quick look, saw a range from $10 through $50 depending on the site. For reference:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/125111236/red-almandine-garnet-very-large-crystal?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_query=garnet+specimen+almandine&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

(that looked pretty similar to yours anyway)

It is pretty, though, and you could probably get it polished or something to bring out it's beauty.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If it holds strong sentimental value to you, you could display it in a nice shadow box, or have something made out of it. For a man, I think one could mount some round pieces from that to make some handsome cufflinks in silver or gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results