shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on emerald please

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I keep on going back to this emerald because of the color, but I am hesitating because of the jardin. The smaller pic is an approximately the size in real life (~9 mm). It may have some residual oil, but nothing beyond that for treatment.

Emerald owners, what do you think of this? Do you have pieces with this much jardin, but the glow is overcome by it? I know that some jardin is acceptable. I am used to eye clean stones, so shopping for emeralds is very strange to me. I bought a synthetic emerald just to look at it, but it has none of the glow that I've seen in real emeralds that do have jardin.

I have been on the lookout for bluish green emeralds for about 6 months, and nothing this color and size has come up on my radar. There probably is something of better clarity, in this lovely color, but way out of my price range.

emerald_realsize.png

_123.png

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Rocku. LE's emerald does not have a strong enough blue modifier for me.

I've looked at all the stones of our "recommended vendor" list, and was not able to find one with a strong blue modifier and size I desire (7 mm and greater), and within my budget. Please do not post other stones as I am considering one other stone, and I do not want a lurker to take it.

The only question is the jardin. Please comment about the jardin and your personal experience with emeralds. Would any emerald experts be willing to guess on what clarity rating this would get with AGL (e.g. L2, M1, H1 etc)? Would you consider this an H1 or H2?

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to say, but the jardins are a little too much for me. But I understand how hard it is ti find a blue emerald.
Just look at the small pic, it is ok, but the big one is....

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
rocku|1364006421|3411557 said:
Sorry to say, but the jardins are a little too much for me. But I understand how hard it is ti find a blue emerald.
Just look at the small pic, it is ok, but the big one is....

I've yet to see a bluish green emerald that looks good in a blown up pic, which is why I'm asking for PSers who have seen similar stones in person. I am interested in how it will look in real life. I may just have to have it sent to me, but I dislike sending stones back and forth. Too stressful.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer emeralds with some inclusions versus "clean" ones. I just don't think the clean ones glow as much.
But I've only ever had one.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Periwinkle, how much jardin does your emerald have? Do you have a thread on it?

I am concerned about the large streak of jardin in the middle.

EDIT: I remember your emerald now! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-about-ebay-emeralds.186051/#post-3401061?hilit=emerald#p3401061']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-about-ebay-emeralds.186051/#post-3401061?hilit=emerald#p3401061[/URL] I can see jardin in the magnified picture, but I think the one I posted has more jardin, and in an less even distribution. Do you see the jardin in yours in person as streaks? The jardin in your stone looks more evenly distributed, and not streaky.

kanawabi

Rough_Rock
the stone looks fine, i am personally into 'emerald green' but with any stone that is a personal choice. see if you could spend some more time over it (if you havn't purchased it yet) this piece looks ok to me...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preg: is there any way you can get more pictures? The reason I ask is that it appears that the small pic is the same as the big and I don't know if that is fair way to show jardin. It may be better to get a photo of it at its actual size and see what the jardin looks like in that photo. I say this because it may be that the photo overemphasizes the jardin. That said, if the small picture is how it would look IRL, then as much as I enjoy the glow and the amazing bluish tone, the fact that it almost appears two-toned due to the jardin would truly bother me. But I urge you to seek other photos because the jardin may be much less visible in most situations. It would be a pity not to see it as that saturation and hue are outstanding. Almost paraiba-like in fact.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Minous. Yes, I am in love with the color. I'm a color person when it comes to CSs, and I enjoyed LDs thread on less than perfect stones.

This is the only picture available. Other pictures with less jardin wouldn't really convince me that this is okay because I've already seen this picture. This vendor also does not provide more pictures, and I think the pic was taken to maximize the inclusions so there are no surprises. (For new CSers, it is not unheard of for certain vendors to only provide 1 picture.) The vendor is reputable.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The color is beautiful. The middle of the stone looks as if it is a light reflection on the bottom and jardin above it. My emeralds have jardin, but not as much as this stone. Mine have some streaks, this one seems to have it all over. I think it may be too included but as LD says, sometimes for color , you accept imperfections.

I would wait for her opinion. She always has a balanced opinion.

Annette

Ps. I don't do pictures and my emerald are not near this color.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Annette. I feel what you wrote. I've been waiting for LD because you are right that she has a balanced opinion, plus she has several emeralds and can give me a realistic assessment of this. She is also familiar with the range of color I have been looking for.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Balanced me? I think you all may have the wrong person! That's clearly my twin who's been posting! :lol: Anyway, you'ved asked for honesty so ..............

I'm afraid I wouldn't buy it. The best Emeralds have little jardin OR jardin that doesn't take over the stone. The jardin in the stone you're considering has a very pronounced crazed patch running north to south that actually draws your eye to it. For me that's a complete deal breaker.

I bought a 3 or 4ct (can't remember now) stone that's got a blue modifier BUT the jardin is just too much for me and I don't think I've ever worn it. I've also got another that has quite a bit of jardin but it's spread so evenly over the stone that I wear it a bit! If you are prepared to accept jardin then the placement of it can be critical to the overall look.

I think you've got to decide if it's too much for you / if the placement of it causes you to pause. Don't let the fact that you want an Emerald get in the way of making a sensible decision because if you won't wear it OR another better one comes along and then you can't afford it, you'll be fed up.

Sorry I keep editing BUT I highly suspect this won't be as blue IRL. It will definitely have a blue modifier but this stone has been flooded with light and you can see from the background that the photo probably isn't a good representation of the real colour. To be fair, I don't know the vendor but I do know that photographing Emeralds is the worst thing in the world so I doubt whether this has been done on purpose. I think it will look like my pear, maybe a little more blue (this is highly included but was the one I was referring to where the jardin is even throughout the stone). HTH

emerald_comparison_for_preg.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
periwinklegirl|1364008174|3411572 said:
I prefer emeralds with some inclusions versus "clean" ones. I just don't think the clean ones glow as much.

Oooooooooooooooo sorry but this isn't correct. A lack of Jardin does NOT affect the glow!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preg: I too would question whether the color, based on the background is accurate. If this is a reputable vendor and there is a high likelihood that even if you don't keep this one you may consider others from them, then you may want to order it just so you can get a sense of the true color for future reference regarding their photos.

I don't think I've ever seen an emerald this blue, which is why I compared it to Paraiba. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing one this blue, though I haven't gone on any real search, lol.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LD. I am going to think more about it and decide next week. Lately, I have not enjoyed buying stones online because of having to return them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1364079788|3411978 said:
Thanks, LD. I am going to think more about it and decide next week. Lately, I have not enjoyed buying stones online because of having to return them.

Preg I'm afraid that this is an occupational hazzard!!! It does depress you but then just once in a while you get a lovely surprise! If I have doubts I don't go for it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
LD|1364083172|3412031 said:
If I have doubts I don't go for it.

That's how I'm starting to feel too. I've become pickier and pickier because I don't want to end up with stuff I don't wear. The problem is that now I've developed very specific criteria, and it's almost impossible to find anything. I want to look at a stone and be amazed by some aspect of it every time.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1364063951|3411826 said:

Oooooooooooooooo sorry but this isn't correct. A lack of Jardin does NOT affect the glow!

LD - I believe you!

I've recently been thinking that the clear emerald I had seen before had a window, and that's why I didn't like it.

And my emerald had a big flaw running across the middle - a nice colour, but not lovely jardin like we see here. I didn't mind giving it away.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
periwinklegirl|1364111877|3412221 said:
LD|1364063951|3411826 said:

LD - I believe you!

I've recently been thinking that the clear emerald I had seen before had a window, and that's why I didn't like it.

And my emerald had a big flaw running across the middle - a nice colour, but not lovely jardin like we see here. I didn't mind giving it away.

I think this is where my comment was coming from! For me, jardin is never lovely!!!! It has to be almost unnoticeable to be acceptable (to me). I have a virtually jardin free emerald and I think that it's spoilt me for life!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer my emerald to look cleanish to the eye. If it must have jardin, it has to not stand out so much.

rocku

Shiny_Rock
You need to see more pictures from your vendor, maybe some hand shots.
I think this picture has too much light on the stone.
LE's stone may have the same color in real life, who knows.

pregcurious|1364004299|3411533 said:
Thanks, Rocku. LE's emerald does not have a strong enough blue modifier for me.

I've looked at all the stones of our "recommended vendor" list, and was not able to find one with a strong blue modifier and size I desire (7 mm and greater), and within my budget. Please do not post other stones as I am considering one other stone, and I do not want a lurker to take it.

The only question is the jardin. Please comment about the jardin and your personal experience with emeralds. Would any emerald experts be willing to guess on what clarity rating this would get with AGL (e.g. L2, M1, H1 etc)? Would you consider this an H1 or H2?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'm on the fense. Personally I prefer a cleaner stone however if the color is what really appeals to you then I can see how you would be willing to compromise. I think you just need to decide and personally for me when I'm in doubt I walk away.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I heard back from the seller that it has a window, so I will keep on looking elsewhere. Being one of my "holy grail" stones, I know I won't be able to put up with window and all the inclusions. Thanks for all your input. I always learn so much.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just a 'maybe instead'... There are some Mt. Antero aquamarines that might hit close the color you want too. I don't know where any are now, but I have seen one about that color (adjusting for color incorrectness by monitor and camera type).

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, George. I looked for some on the internet and was not able to find any off the bat that looked nice. I'm am not sure if they would be green enough for me because I am looking for a bluish green emerald. This is much harder than I thought it would be. In the meantime, I just bought a bunch of other stones...oops.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results