shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Discussion Revisited--Photos this time

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hello:

I promise to "behave" today

face6.gif
, if ya''ll don''t mind revisiting a thread discussed in August about the origin of my emeralds; that were purchased as "Columbian" but could possibly be "Brazilian". I was wondering if anyone might hazard a "guess" from the photos if they are indeed "Columbian". It was recommended that I get a chelsea filter, but alas I have been unable to get one either locally or through the Canadian Gemm. Assoc. Moreover, Richard S. was very helpful in discussing origin and identification of emeralds, but at the time I had no digital camera with which to take photos. Enter Olympus C-770 Super Zoom, 10x optical, 4MP. Pics of cross, earrings and ring were taken indoors, with flash, cloudy day. BTW, the ring is circa 1970''s, a Birks product, and not part of my "Columbian" emerald collection, but included anyway.

Again, any light shed on this mystery would be wonderful. Thanks.

Sharon

cross 1.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bored yet?

cross 3.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a bit out of focus, sorry.

earrings 1.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cant answer your question but wanted to say thanks for posting the pictures.
I needed my daily awesome gemstone jewlery fix! :}

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock

The cross is classic Colombian workmanship, with emeralds that have the "look" of being Colombian.

The earring emeralds also have the "look" of being Colombian.

The ring I'm uncertain of. Would love to examine it under the scope.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The cross is one impsive piece, and so are the emeralds in it

1.gif

I hate to say this, but the ring sto looks like a dublet, possibly some color enhancement was applied as well (color concentrated in the shape of a feather and around the cotour of the table make me say this)... who knows. I guess this is what Richard is saying diplomatically.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Wow--thanks for the input so far

emthup.gif
! But could someone clarify or define the word dublet for me in this context? I have only ever heard that term used in reference to opals and Webster was of no help. And don''t worry about offending me, I have NO sentimental attachment whatsoever to that piece; in fact I purchased it second hand when it was traded in against other merchandise in my Fathers former jewellery shop. And I don''t recall paying very much for it either and what I did pay, was probably for the diamond content. Ironic though, b/c Birks is touted as the Canadian "Tiffany''s" and therefore synonymous with "quality".

cheers---Sharon

mogok

Shiny_Rock

Hello,

A doublet is an assembled stone. It means that it is in fact 2 stones glued together. Usually the top is made with a natural gem and the bottom with some inexpensive synthetic or with some glass.

All the best,

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Sharon!
30.gif
What beautiful Emeralds!!!!! Emerald is my birthstone and these are some GAWGEOUS pieces! Thanks for sharing.
9.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It was recommended that I get a chelsea filter, but alas I have been unable to get one either locally or through the Canadian Gemm. Assoc.

You can buy a chelsea filter from Otto Frei. for 39.95 USD. They sell tools and findings to the trade.

GIA Gem Instruments also sells one for $49.00 USD.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi:

Thanks for all the compliments--and the "education"! This gemstone forum rocks

emrainbow.gif
!
2.gif

cheers---Sharon

Gale

Shiny_Rock
That cross is FANTASTIC! Love the earrings too! Do you wear them very often?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2004 5:20
6.gif
6 PM
Author: Gale
That cross is FANTASTIC! Love the earrings too! Do you wear them very often?
Hi Gale:

Thank you for your kind words. The cross, although not a piece I would have designed in that fashion, was gifted to me from my husband when my son was born and represents the only one other piece of jewellery (besides ER) that my husband has purchased in 19 years of marriage, without my "interference" (I commissioned the earrings a year later for an anniversary). Hence I am greatly attached to the cross for sentimental reasons and yes, do wear the set fairly often. Isn''t there always an occasion to wear "green??
2.gif

cheers---Sharon

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Sharon, I just had to come back and drool on my monitor! I can certainly understand why you treasure it so much. Not only is the cross a stunning piece in itself, but what a lovely occasion on which to receive such a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results