shape
carat
color
clarity

Do they belong together

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't look to see if it would fit the stone, as I figured you already checked that. I just added the two together.

uploadfromtaptalk1398857159592.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colours of the rubies and rose gold are rather strong, so I understand your concern. Best to wait until you get the stone in hand and play around with rose gold settings and place it next to other red stones to see the effect. You are also skirting the edge of the mm size requirement, so that is another risk you are taking.

Off topic here but how trustworthy is DiamondZone? I've heard them mentioned positively in RT but I am surprised that the setting only costs $450, considering that it has custom cut natural ruby halo. I think the setting is very pretty though.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398858778|3663459 said:
The colours of the rubies and rose gold are rather strong, so I understand your concern. Best to wait until you get the stone in hand and play around with rose gold settings and place it next to other red stones to see the effect. You are also skirting the edge of the mm size requirement, so that is another risk you are taking.

Off topic here but how trustworthy is DiamondZone? I've heard them mentioned positively in RT but I am surprised that the setting only costs $450, considering that it has custom cut natural ruby halo. I think the setting is very pretty
though.

I've purchased from them. That's where I got the setting for my BIL sapphire ring. They are reputable. You could say there settings are a tad thin which would be expected from the price point but in dealing and speaking with them I found them very reputable and I would work with them again.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398858778|3663459 said:

Off topic here but how trustworthy is DiamondZone? I've heard them mentioned positively in RT but I am surprised that the setting only costs $450, considering that it has custom cut natural ruby halo. I think the setting is very pretty though.

Well, the rubies could be lead glass filled, or diffused, which would make them "natural" but enhanced. That's probably why they're all cut to perfection to fit in there, and have the same color. I think the work in the ring is probably the most costly part, because setting stones like that is not easy.

The OP opened an additional thread on this, so I'll repost my reply here:

It looks like a bezel type setting, and my fear is that someone will cover up much of the stone with the bezel. It's hard to properly bezel a gem, and it can also chip the gem as well.

That being said, I think the red color of the stones in that setting are a bit too eye distracting. The garnet is a very delicate yellow color, and not saturated enough to pop out of the setting. I would get a setting that would emphasize the sparkle of the garnet as it is well cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But custom cut natural rubies + diamond + RG setting = $450 only? That's even less than most Chinese made settings sold on eBay. Something's not right there...I would suspect that their definition of natural isn't the same as mine. Probably diffused and lead glass filled to keep pricing low.

ETA
TL and I cross-posted.

airdancer

Rough_Rock
Wow Neil that is amazing fast work! I think the stone looks overwhelmed by the red setting now that you put them together. Chrono I thought the same about the rubies too. I think I might move along to another setting. Thanks for your opinions!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
No real need to add anything since you've decided, but I think it's a good move. You need something that will emphasize that delicate yellow. It's only a personal preference, but I hate yellow & red together -- each interferes with the purity of the other. Look forward to seeing your garnet photos when it arrives!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results