shape
carat
color
clarity

dick hughes' ruby & sapphire book: a collector's guide

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish they would reprint that book. It's like the Bible for corundum.

Thanks for the link.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
TL|1392910633|3619284 said:
I wish they would reprint that book. It's like the Bible for corundum.

Thanks for the link.

I know. Why not reprint it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a reprint of the first / original book or is this the one I've heard that the book's focus is more on pictures rather than content? It seems like this one is more of a general guide with lots of eye candy?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1392913553|3619311 said:
Is this a reprint of the first / original book or is this the one I've heard that the book's focus is more on pictures rather than content? It seems like this one is more of a general guide with lots of eye candy?

Looking at the site, it looks like a new reprint from the same publishers and/or format of that one recent spinel coffee table book. There' a new garnet book out with the same format. It's $164.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have the spinel book, and it's beautiful. As I'll never see all the spinels I want to see in person, it's a nice substitute for seeing the colors.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just got the book! I recommend it, it's a really nice read and the photographs are stunning.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a treat to look at. The sapphire & ruby in the top photo, on a tray, incredible glow. This must have been an incredibly expensive book to print -- I know just barely enough about publishing to imagine the difficulty of getting the colors right.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For goodness sake why on earth did I visit Pricescope today? I've just HAD to buy the new book now. I think I may just disappear again :(sad :lol:

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Re: Dick Hughes' new book, Ruby & Sapphire: A Collector's Gu

Hi,

In reference to my latest book, Ruby & Sapphire: A Collector's Guide, this is a brand new book. While it is aimed at collectors, there is still plenty of information for gemologists and appraisers.

How does it differ from my 1997 book, Ruby & Sapphire? It is completely different. Indeed, there is not a single photo from the 1997 book duplicated in the new book. All new pictures, all new text.

In many respects, this can be considered a companion volume to the 1997 book. You can see page spreads and samples here:

http://www.lotusgemology.com/index....-ruby-sapphire-a-collector-s-guide-order-page

The price is US$99 plus shipping. It ships from Thailand, and you can get a signed copy at the above link.

Thanks again for your interest.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Dick Hughes' new book, Ruby & Sapphire: A Collector's Gu

Richard Hughes|1400311869|3674735 said:
Hi,

In reference to my latest book, Ruby & Sapphire: A Collector's Guide, this is a brand new book. While it is aimed at collectors, there is still plenty of information for gemologists and appraisers.

How does it differ from my 1997 book, Ruby & Sapphire? It is completely different. Indeed, there is not a single photo from the 1997 book duplicated in the new book. All new pictures, all new text.

In many respects, this can be considered a companion volume to the 1997 book. You can see page spreads and samples here:

http://www.lotusgemology.com/index....-ruby-sapphire-a-collector-s-guide-order-page

The price is US$99 plus shipping. It ships from Thailand, and you can get a signed copy at the above link.

Thanks again for your interest.

Thanks for the information Richard, and please one day, write a very good and thorough book on spinels. The only one out there is a coffee table style book, and there really needs to be a concise book for those gems.

Thanks!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just checked the tracking and mine is on it's way BUT ....... I'm going on holiday on Monday :(sad I'm hoping our postie will be sensible and put it somewhere safe!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results