shape
carat
color
clarity

CS cuts with tall crowns?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any particular round CS cuts that feature taller crowns similar to a diamond OEC/OMC cut does? I have been trying to find three light pink stones with taller crowns for a ring mounting I have, but not sure what to look for or inquire about if I decide to try and commission something. Thanks much for any input/suggestions.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sheesh, thanks ipad for the three-peat posting of this topic. :oops:

I reported the other two for deletion. Please reply to this thread so I don't miss any replies. Thank you!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
No problem!

Are you looking for a CS cut in an antique diamond style or just the high crown? I very rarely see CS cuts with antique or antique style cuts (I can only think of one right now). Also, I find that good precision cuts often utilize a high crown.

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a beautiful OEC cut Montana Sapphire from Dana. I am sure he would cut more stones like that if you asked?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1417269990|3792256 said:
No problem!

Are you looking for a CS cut in an antique diamond style or just the high crown? I very rarely see CS cuts with antique or antique style cuts (I can only think of one right now). Also, I find that good precision cuts often utilize a high crown.

Good question - I don't know the answer. I'm not sure what the difference is really. Primarily I am looking for a taller crown so that it sticks up over the mounting when set, but I do love old mine/euro cut diamonds. Not sure how they would differ though (CS vs diamonds).

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones|1417271481|3792260 said:
I bought a beautiful OEC cut Montana Sapphire from Dana. I am sure he would cut more stones like that if you asked?

Actually, I had Dana cut me a blue OEC sapphire last spring/summer for this ring, and it was a gorgeous color, silhouette, etc. But, it had a slight tilt window in the crown that I just couldn't get past for this particular ring because it made the top of the stone look like a droplet of water on top. And that's not intended negatively of Dana's cutting in any way ... it was beautiful! But the way the stone would set in this ring, that was all I would see because the sides are enclosed, so I unfortunately sent it back as he had another interested party in line for it. In any other setting, I would have kept it in a hot second because it was a gorgeous cut!

Whatever stone/cut I go with, the crown can't have much of a tilt window because it will have that same effect of looking like water droplets which drowns out the color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1417272075|3792265 said:
ilovegemstones|1417271481|3792260 said:

Actually, I had Dana cut me a blue OEC sapphire last spring/summer for this ring, and it was a gorgeous color, silhouette, etc. But, it had a slight tilt window in the crown that I just couldn't get past for this particular ring because it made the top of the stone look like a droplet of water on top. And that's not intended negatively of Dana's cutting in any way ... it was beautiful! But the way the stone would set in this ring, that was all I would see because the sides are enclosed, so I unfortunately sent it back as he had another interested party in line for it. In any other setting, I would have kept it in a hot second because it was a gorgeous cut!

Whatever stone/cut I go with, the crown can't have much of a tilt window because it will have that same effect of looking like water droplets which drowns out the color.

The combination of a high crown and small table help reduce tilt windows in low RI stones, but unfortunately, you can never 100% get rid of a tilt window.

Jerry Newman often utilizes such cuts, so perhaps he can cut something to your specifications.

amyek

Rough_Rock
I have been purchasing my stones from Jeff Hapeman at Earth's Treasury of late. He'll cut with a high crown and smaller table if that's what you are after. He cuts custom stones - just ask. Cutting is very precise. :)

Alnitak

Rough_Rock
Trade
I personally like cutting higher crowns on stones, but it doesn't work with every stone. Its best used with lighter to medium-colored stones as otherwise the gem can be too dark. In addition, the angles should be optimized for the gem material to get the best results. It will enhance the dispersion of a gem, which is very hard to impossible to capture in a photograph, but is very noticeable in the hand.

I'm attaching a snapshot of a pair of garnets I cut to test out a new design variation of a 11-main RB with a high domed crown that I created recently. In the hand, this demantoid and Mali garnet show wonderful dispersion and brilliance.

BTW, with the right angles, a high-RI stone like either one of these can have amazing off-axis brilliance as well--another advantage of this type of design.

Jeff

_56a4309-1024.jpg

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Gene Flanigan of PrecisionGem has a cut he calls the Jua round-- it has a high crown. In my personal experience, it throws off a more fire/ sprectral flashes then typical for sapphire, but I agree with Alnitak that a tall-crowned cut is better with lighter-colored stones.
Example of Jua round:
IMG_4568c.jpg

IMG_4730c.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results