shape
carat
color
clarity

Crystal opal setting?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently bought a crystal opal from Beauwy, and while it's very pretty, it's almost entirely translucent and the color play doesn't show up as well when the stone is resting on a lighter background (i.e. my finger) when compared to when it's on a black background.

I was wondering if anyone here has had crystal opal set into a ring? And if so, what kind of backing was used? I imagine an oxidized silver would be pretty black...

I thought about a pendant since it's 3 ct, but I want to look at it flash!

crystal.jpg

_9401.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen such type of stones bezeled completely, including the back, with a black foil underneath the stone.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Black rhodium bezel?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1377694920|3511263 said:
I've seen such type of stones bezeled completely, including the back, with a black foil underneath the stone.

Stupid question but does the black foil change or degrade with time?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea but I think it would. No matter how tight it is made, one would think water and dirt does eventually get in there. How soon or late that happens will depend on the workmanship obviously but I think it would last many many years if well done.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Georgian jewelry was commonly foiled -- not usually black, but whatever color the stones were, and those pieces survive intact even now, 200 yrs later.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JF,
The people who wore them were often high born as well, correct? If so, the likely reason they survived well might because the wearers did practically nothing whilst wearing them. :lol:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt I"ll be doing much manual labor in my rings but still, would be nice to know the appearance wouldn't change much with time or exposure.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Cool opal! Could you set it on top of a slab of onyx, effectively making it a doublet (but without fusing them together)?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if some sort of "reflection" setting would work. This is a mexican jelly fire opal I saw at a gem show-it looked like liquid lava-sooooo cool!! Unfortunately, if the concave setting was rhodium plated-it would no longer reflect, so not sure this would work.

8b0df0d6d8ec5707bf8d7e3073ca3efd.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results