shape
carat
color
clarity

Copying an heirloom wedding ring

TheGrey

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking around the coloured stones forum for a couple of very educational months. Everyone has such beautiful stones!

I am in the very early stages of engagement (Wedding mid 2014) and I have some questions about wedding rings and coloured stones.

There is a beautiful heirloom gold ring set with four bezelled rubies. The story goes that my family were goldsmiths in England and made this ring. It has been passed down among the women and (luckily for her, sadly for me) my little sister is next in line. I really love this ring, it has beautiful engraving and the stones that are left (my mother lost one and replaced it with a garnet) are the richest rubies. I wish I could have pictures, but my sister lives interstate. I will try and get some though!

I am thinking about getting the ring copied so that I have a version to pass down through my daughters but in sapphires and white gold/platinum. Or maybe a direct copy of yellow gold and rubies?

My question is: how long might this project take? Do we have enough time? Considering we will need to track down four sapphires of the same size and colour, the amount of time it will take to find a designer and for their work, I'm sure it takes longer than I realise! I've been watching some projects come together and it isn't a quick process (after all, quality takes time!).

Also, considering that the rubies are inlaid (I think this is a bezel setting) so that they are flat against the ring, and it is quite thin - is this appropriate for everyday wear? The family ring has held up very well, but I am unsure if we will be able to afford such good workmanship. As I have an antique sapphire engagement ring that is far to delicate to be worn everyday, I really want a wedding ring with sparkle that can be worn while driving, talking with my hands and eating.

Are their any other stones I could consider? I also love amethysts but I'm not sure if they will survive 'real life'.

Thank you for your help and also thank you for sharing your stones and knowledge, I've really learnt so much from you all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The length of the project time will depend on several factors:
1. Do you have the stones or will the bench have to get them
2. Complexity of design
3. Workload of bench

What are the sizes of the sapphires? If they are small, it might be best to let the jeweller source them so they all match in colour and size. Finding a bench is very easy if you don't mind doing this long distance. There are tons of excellent jewellers on the PS recommended list. Since you already have the design down pat (based on an exact copy), this helps move the project along quicker, possibly taking around 6 weeks or so. What takes the longest is nailing down the design.

It sounds like the stones are gypsy set (into the band). The thiness is fine because the stones are small enough to sit all the way inside the band. Based on your description, it sounds fine for everyday wear as well. Of course, pictures will be very helpful.

Because the stones are gypsy set, even though amethysts are inexpensive to replace, it is going to be a hassle to set it every time the stone gets damaged, plus it's going to cost more than being prong set. Your best bet is corundum for 24/7 wear. Again, I am making a lot of presumptions without seeing the setting.

TheGrey

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your help Chrono.

You are right about the setting. I've done a google image of gypsy setting and now I feel very foolish for saying it was bezelled.
I'm not sure of the size of the stones. I will ask my sister to measure them (they aren't big) and do an estimate. I didn't realise that asking the jeweller to source the stones was a good idea, as everyone here seems to fall in love with the stones first and then take them to the bench. It's a very useful step, thank you.

I will take the ring to the jeweller when they start designing the ring, otherwise they will get very confused! Knowing that we have plenty of time is very helpful. We may end up changing the engraving but using the ring as the inspiration.

I will keep the forum updated :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome. No need to feel foolish, we are here to learn, help each other and have fun along the way. If the stones are 3 mm and smaller, definitely have the jeweller source them. This only makes a difference when the stone is larger. When looking for bigger stones (which typically costs more), generally one is able to procure higher quality stones at a lower cost with more options when shopping yourself online. With smaller stones, the cost savings, time spent and quality becomes negligible.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds an intriguing project and you should have plenty of time to accomplish it before early 2014. It's a beautiful idea to have a sapphire mate to the original ruby ring and passing down your branch of the family. Chrono has already given you all the good guff (I'm following in her footsteps again tonight) so do please keep us updated...pic when you get it if possible :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Just want to add that I think it's a lovely idea. Chrono gave you all the info you need at this point -- sure would love to see a photo of the ring if your sister can even snap one w/her phone. I admire that you want to carry on family history instead of buying something generic. Very cool!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results