shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you put any shape stone in a "round" setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
So I was browsing, and I found a really pretty setting with the right mm size for my new asscher. It''s a four-prong setting. Is there any reason why I couldn''t drop my asscher into it, with the help of a decent jeweler?

Ring pic attached...the now-infamous Lord of Gem Rings strikes again!

lordofgemrings-monkeypie1.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm. With a 4 prong.... Seems possible to me. But I''m not a jeweler, LOL.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
LOL me either! But it seems like it SHOULD work...

I also found this, which I am actually leaning more towards...just pop the peridot out and put my spinel in. MM measurements will work, and it already has an asscher-ish shape in it.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 4:27:44 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
LOL me either! But it seems like it SHOULD work...

I also found this, which I am actually leaning more towards...just pop the peridot out and put my spinel in. MM measurements will work, and it already has an asscher-ish shape in it.
I like this one better, personally.
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depth is one reason assuming it was made for a diamond and not for a colored. You also need to make sure the size is right...my asscher sapphire is in a round setting, but we had to take the depth into consideration too when ordering the right setting size. It will probably work for THAT setting assuming that you work with a jeweler who knows what they are doing. But not all settings for rounds will work for other shapes. It depends on the setting...

I'd also think the prong setting could be accommodated more easily than the halo one, but that's based only on the few pictures.

Proteus

Shiny_Rock
I'm no jeweler either, but I have a bit of experience setting stones... Generally the heads designed for square stones will have a support for the girdle outline, and slightly different proportions and prong layouts. I mean you probably could stuff an Asscher into a round setting... but, I don't think it would end up looking right, and there may be durability issues since the stone will be mounted up higher, and have less metal surrounding as a shield.

I'd try to protect the corners, if possible. Spinel is tough, but it does abrade slowly over time, and the tips of the corners will eventually wear down or chip away... the layout of the second ring you posted should protect the center stone better.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies and gents! :) I am leaning towards the second setting now - just to ask DH!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME MP!!!! I love this mounting...it will show your asscher off beautifully!!!

Lori

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool MP - I think it''ll look lovely in that setting!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My concern would be the depth and the thickness of the pavilion. Rounds are generally shallower than cushions and diamonds have a slimmer underbelly than coloured gemstones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results