shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue zircon

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I don't know much about this stone in terms of how it looks like in real life. I have never seen one in person. Does it perform well under different light conditions, or does it black out?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some are a bit greenish but for the most part, it is a medium light slightly greenish blue stone. The huge bonus of zircon is the amazing dispersion it has, so it is very sparkly. Most are heated, which might explain why a handful do not seem as brittle as most. Because they are never dark in tone to begin with, it is very rare to see a blue zircon black out.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS AMAZING IF THEY WERE MORE DURABLE I WOULD WEAR ZIRCONS ALL THE TIME SO PRETTY PRETTY

Ahem.

I am on vacation and don't have pics - one of my previous threads has pics of my blue zircon ring - but when I get home I can take pics in different lighting. It doesn't look as nice in pics as it does irl, it often looks much darker in pictures than it does irl. I have smashed my hand with the zircon ring several times, and I know there were direct hits, but so far no chips.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Hate to post again. Ok no I don't!! This shows some great dispersion.

_21175.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
They are really lovely stones. I just recommended that my SIL check them out as an alternate to blue sapphire. She doesn't want to pay sapphire prices and wants a medium blue sparkly stone - sounds like a Zircon is in order for that request.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience the zircon looks good in all lighting conditions: in some lights is brighter blue and in some more teal blue.
Here is mine:

_21202.jpg

_21203.jpg

_21204.jpg

_21205.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel as if zircon, while it has been increasing in price like just about all stones, has largely been the sleeper in the group. I think it will continue to increase in popularity and price, so if I wanted to get one, I would not wait too long. I love the intensity of the ever-so-slightly greenish blue that so many have - a stunning color - but the color and the dispersion of the pale yellow ones often remind me of FCDs.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen some very lovely Zircons on Jeff White's site, and would love to have one myself in a step cut, looking to purchase in 2016 as I already have another stone lined up for next year.

DK :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I have a pair, about 6.5 mm, that I bought from Gemfix a couple years ago. Not set yet -- because I keep buying stones instead of settings :wall: -- but they are sparkly sky blue. I don't see any green modifier in these, no teal, just a beautiful clear blue. They don't black out in any light I've tried them in. I will get some photos soon -- it's so hot & buggy outside in August, I can't stand to be out there. Ick!

--- Laurie

P.S. Tanzigrrl -- because of their tendency to chip or crack, they aren't a good substitute for sapphires unless they'll be worn only occasionally or in a pendant or earrings.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
how does it perform compared to blue topaz, whichh seems to be pretty inexpensive and has the same colour?

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Look up each on YouTube. My eyes see topaz as quite flat in comparison .

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are gorgeous stones. I have read that they are quite brittle so I would only buy one already set. I have a few tiny blues and they are amazing.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, distracts, Loverskites, minous, dk168, and Freke, thanks for your helpful responses.

Soberguy, thanks for posting your ring. I love the contrast between the stone and the color of the metal.

Tanzigrrl, zircons are 7-7.5 on the Mohs scale (measurement of scratch resistance) and are also brittle due to heating, so they are more fragile than sapphire which are a 9 on the Moh's scale. The Moh's scale is not linear but exponential, which makes a 7 versus a 9 a difference of 4 (instead of 2) in terms of absolute hardness.

Acinom, your ring and another by ERD (a three stone owned by pandabee) are always on my mind when I think of blue zircon. What beauties.

Marlow, that is a really cool stone!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1407522991|3728698 said:
THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS AMAZING IF THEY WERE MORE DURABLE I WOULD WEAR ZIRCONS ALL THE TIME SO PRETTY PRETTY

Ahem.

I am on vacation and don't have pics - one of my previous threads has pics of my blue zircon ring - but when I get home I can take pics in different lighting. It doesn't look as nice in pics as it does irl, it often looks much darker in pictures than it does irl. I have smashed my hand with the zircon ring several times, and I know there were direct hits, but so far no chips.

Samesies.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edward Bristol|1407745271|3730090 said:
Blue zircons are totally terrific!

Unfortunately they are always heated.

I have spent years trying to find unheated blue zircon, but to no avail. They are the only stones I regret not to be able to sell.

It's no wonder they heat them, because before heating, they're brownish.

zircon_1_.gif

blue_zircon_2_1_.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL|1407761212|3730156 said:
Green zircon is also another color, but I believe this color occurs naturally in nature, and the color is derived from radiation. I have two of these in my collection. They're a minty color.

http://litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8231

That is mine, I think (I have to check my records but it is certainly a twin). :bigsmile:

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Since this thread is still up I wanted to share with you guys that I bought this little guy off athenaworth on loupe troop. So excited! I've been wanting a blue zircon and I'm super stoked I found one in a step cut!

_21264.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelli|1407785655|3730354 said:
Since this thread is still up I wanted to share with you guys that I bought this little guy off athenaworth on loupe troop. So excited! I've been wanting a blue zircon and I'm super stoked I found one in a step cut!

Ah, that's a beauty. Congrats Kelli!
Any ideas how you will set it? I love your step cut :love:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was just coming here to say how much I love zircon! Kelli, you're going to love that little beauty.

I really do think that blue zircons are one of the more underappreciated colored stones out there. They're usually quite saturated and sparkle like all giddy up. Hoard 'em while you can.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
:D I usually set my stones in cheapie little solitaires but after seeing all the pictures in the other zircon threads, I'm feeling like this one will need a little sugar of its own. I'd LOVE either a delicate halo or small step cut sides, but it'll be a while before I can pay for a setting like that. Unless you guys know of any super inexpensive ones that don't look like garbage? :confused:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Kelli|1407785655|3730354 said:

That's gorgeous!!!!!!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a pic I got of my Jeff Davies zircon today. Seriously, zircons are amazing

_21279.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1407812607|3730648 said:
Here's a pic I got of my Jeff Davies zircon today. Seriously, zircons are amazing
I love the cut of your stone! Beautiful setting too :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results