shape
carat
color
clarity

Better than JXR? Quite possibly the new americaan standard.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I can't reveal to much info right now but my buddy and best diggin' pal, Bryan Major of Diamond Hill Mine notoriety/Ultrrocks, hit a very significant find of amethyst in South Carolina. Significant for the quality and the location. Once I am allowed to tell more it will make more sense but I was sworn to secrecy about certain aspects...but ...this material is as good or better than the finest JXR has to offer(let's call it easily as good since I have not seen enough material to say "better" but many will say it is and it's s good at the very least)
I got to see some of the specimens and fondle them and man-handle them and they are s good as it gets in terms of quality in U.S. amethyst. The luster and "crystal" is so noticeable it's striking to see how "water-like" and smooth they really are. As good as anything I have held from any amethyst mine the world over..not just the US. Looks like solid purple water. The color on many of the pieces I saw was of the richest purple color with strong blue secondary. The clarity, on a large portion of the find that was cuttable, is fantastic! The combination of clarity, luster, habit, color, etc. all in top form, with the number or pieces mined, is outstanding and super rare.
As the amethystguy I know a thing or two about amethyst, ya know.
This first crystal I am posting was not even in the top 10 picks from the split after 3 days of digging...so...imagine what the pieces that were chosen prior to this one looked like!!
This one is an easy 25+ct gemstone of exceptional color and clarity. Just fantastic to see in person. The property owner choose as his first pick quite possibly the finest piece of rough I have seen in amethyst. It will never be cut since it's part of a bigger and better museum-grade specimen but it's a 100+cts finished gem of the best color you can imagine in amethyst...even as good as the best Zambian, TL :naughty: If I estimated the price of the rough that could be cut from the first choice specimen the land owner got and I compared it to the many many American amethyst rough I have seen, bought, or sold I would guesstimate a $5,000-$6,000 piece of rough. Nicer than the best JXR rough I have ever seen in person.
So ....this crystal was one of only 3 Bryan had on him when I arrived at 5a.m. at DH mine, after hearing the news. I hope to get some pics of the more choice specimens at later time but this was all I had to work with at the time. If you know my name IRL then check out the video on FB I posted...much better than photos...but until I get to reliable wifi, and can upload to youtube, you will have to wait if you don't know where to look.
All these wonderful attributes you see and the icing on the cake is the locale....that makes it noteworthy among the big wigs in the Rock & Mineral business and will cause an eyebrow or two to raise...that's for sure...but that is hush hush until I am given permission to tell :(( .
|

_10504.jpg

_10505.jpg

_10506.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Re: Better than JXR? Quite possibly the new americaan stand

This crystal he gave me...for free...and it's a good cutter. Color is much lighter than the other specimens I saw but beggars can't be chooser's when it comes to free handouts of facetgrade amethyst from S.C.
It's a little over 200cts and is about 80%-85% cutttable with Vs-Si finished clarity....and this wasn't even considered in the selection at the split if that tells you anything

_10508.jpg

pa010271.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

but...you need to really see the video I took of that top stone.... :)) :sun:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

not nice to tease us this way!
I expect a full report and soon of when i'll see a cab and/or faceted stone from this new find!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I thought american standards are toilets

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

VapidLapid|1380640701|3530112 said:
I thought american standards are toilets
VL, order one made from Amethyst. :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Good tease, you've got me! The color in the 1st stone is drool-worthy. Yow, I don't live too far away from anywhere in SC -- how 'bout a visit to the mine? :naughty:

Post a link to the video when you put it up, please, okay?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting how it almost has a blue tone. I will be following future reports!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are so beautiful that I wouldn't want to cut them either.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

JewelFreak|1380644035|3530149 said:
Good tease, you've got me! The color in the 1st stone is drool-worthy. Yow, I don't live too far away from anywhere in SC -- how 'bout a visit to the mine? :naughty:

Post a link to the video when you put it up, please, okay?

How about I join you for the mine visit? I don't live too far away either :Up_to_something:
I'll be looking forward to seeing some faceted gems! =)

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock

What a GREAT find!!! You guys must be sitting on Cloud 9 after finding that stuff. Almost every piece of Diamond Hill that has been in front of me is no where near that good. Matter of fact, I think I have only seen 1 or 2 facetable pieces from there. Definitely some nice material you got there!!

And for those of you talking about a mine trip, now would be a good time as I assume the weather has broken for the year. I know the last time I was down in that general part of the country digging for ammys that I about burst into flames it was so hot. Just ask George Ellis as I think he was in the same boat as I was.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

Ken, this stuff is not from Diamond Hill, but from one of the most significant amethyst mines in the USA and even the world to be quite frank. Those who are in the know may already know the spot and the significance of this find. Stupid Wifi connection here prevents me from uploading video to youtube then posting so you guys get a better idea of how good the luster and color these have.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock

I'm originally from South Carolina and most of my family still lives there (I'm in Iowa now). My Dad is a bit of a rockhound and will definitely be interested in learning the location of the new find whenever it is released. Any word on whether the owner plans to let people mine their own? My husband is a faceter, too :)

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

The owner told Bryan he wanted to do a public dig next but not sure on any details. He, and his family, refused miners and diggers for decades.... so ....not sure how well they will handle an open dig....talk the talk he has ...hopefully he will walk the walk. this spot is in due west.... ;))

tara3056

Shiny_Rock

My Dad owns property in Barnwell, SC, which is in the SW part of the state, about an hour from the GA border/Augusta (prob too much sand and red clay for ammy-favorable conditions). If the new spot is 'in' due west ;-), it's a bit far away; but if I'm misreading and the new find is anywhere closer, perhaps I need to tell my Dad to get out in his cow pasture and start digging! :naughty: :lol:

Seriously, though, it would mean a lot to me to someday own an ammy from my home state, faceted by my hubby. Here's hoping the owner at least sells some facet-grade specimens even if they don't allow diy mining!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

First magazine inquiry just happened .....Bryan got off the phone with them a few days ago. Might be front cover picture of one of the "good" ones not yet photographed.....slowly the ball starts rolling.

1425753_10200654277499944_883290852_n.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

BAM

1422358_10200618176917452_293443789_n.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Barrett, this is so exciting! I'm going nuts with your teasing. :sun: Let us know what mag & when, ok??? I can't wait till some of this rough is cut & hits the market -- dying to see it. I'm about 2 minutes from the SC border; would love to toddle down there & take a peek!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful structure and colour. Mr. B is going to be famous soon. :cheeky:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please provide us with more of those Bam! photos while you're at it! :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results