shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Place to Get an Emerald Set

nicole7

Rough_Rock
I've been a long time lurker and have just started getting into buying gemstones. I've recently purchased an almost one carat emerald from Embassy Emeralds and need advice on how/where to get it set into a ring. I live in a Chicago suburb so I'm open to getting it set locally and I'm also open to having it sent off to someone.

Does anyone have any advice to recommend any vendors that have experience in setting emeralds? I either want to do a bezel or a three stone ring. Thank you!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If you're open to doing it long distance, I enjoyed working with ERD. I think they would make a very nice three stone ring, and their benches have experience with setting softer stones.

For bezels, I would be picky about who makes a fine bezel. I have no suggestions

Can you tell us how your experience was buying the emerald? Which one did you buy (which rough series, vendor pics)? Was the vendor pic accurate to what you see in real life?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No matter where you go to get it set, make sure they DO NOT put the final ring in an ultrasonic cleaner. Also, bezels are not recommended for emeralds as they have fissures, often on the surface, and the stress of a bezel can cause it to crack.

If you live in Chicago, I highly recommend this dealer who is also well priced.

http://www.amleejeweler.com/

He's in Northbrook. He's very good for setting stones in prong settings.

nicole7

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the advice. The emerald I purchased was F09. I didn't save a copy of the vendor photos but I thought the stone looked very similar in person. It is a beautiful green with a tint of blue. Garret was awesome to work with as well.

I tried taking photos with my iPhone and don't really want to post them because I can't get good photos of the stone. What I manage to capture really looks nothing like what the stone looks like in person.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I had my emerald set by IDJ, but it was prong set, not bezel. They're on 47th street in NYC so they have tons of setters at their disposal.

I'm starting to think I should have set it in a ring, it's so pretty and I never get to see it as a pendent. :|

emerald_16.jpg

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1392411933|3615401 said:
No matter where you go to get it set, make sure they DO NOT put the final ring in an ultrasonic cleaner. Also, bezels are not recommended for emeralds as they have fissures, often on the surface, and the stress of a bezel can cause it to crack.

TL, do you think A.M. Lee will be able to help me out with replacing the center cz in this ring? Thinking of putting in a blue sapphire or possibly aquamarine.

_36860.jpg

fullsizerender_19.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparklySoprano|1458957823|4011180 said:
TL|1392411933|3615401 said:

TL, do you think A.M. Lee will be able to help me out with replacing the center cz in this ring? Thinking of putting in a blue sapphire or possibly aquamarine.

Definitely, he does that type of work all the time for me, and another one of my friends on PS that I recommended him to. I switch out stones all the time from rings, and he's very reasonably priced as well. He can work in all metals, including silver.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diamond Zone is in Chicago, and did nicely setting my cab emerald, though it is in prongs not bezel.
shade7.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results