shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher blue sapphire?

LekiliRN

Rough_Rock
I've loved lurking around here drooling over all of your beauties! The most recent thread showing the cutting of the blue topaz by Bespoke Gems was fascinating...THOSE asschers are gorgeous! Congrats to all who were able to snatch up those gems!

That being said, is the asscher cut not very popular? Is it more difficult to cut? I know there are definitely people who prefer brilliant cuts vs. step cuts, so there is always that ongoing debate. However, it seems nearly impossible to find a (affordable, not 10's of thousands of dollars) blue sapphire asscher (as close to royal as possible, 7-8 mm) for the center stone of engagement ring. I'm almost to the point of looking at lab grown stones, although I'd really like an earth mined one. I've searched all the links provided in the vendor section, as well as usual google searches, Ebay, Etsy, etc. Maybe it's just a matter of timing? Any opinions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn't that asschers are not popular but there are many drawbacks to an asscher cut in coloured stones.

1. Asscher requires a fat and thick rough, which is very uncommon in CS as most tend to be flattish
2. Asscher cut is best suited for light coloured stones as dark toned stones will tend to become even darker, not to mention making the steps harder to see.
3. Asschers in CS are very deep, requiring a custom setting.

Couple things are against you:
1. You probably need a custom cut stone in an asscher blue sapphire
2. You probably need a custom setting for your asscher blue sapphire
3. Medium dark Blue is prized and there are very few suitable rough for that shape
4. Due to the depth of asschers, a 7 to 8 mm stone is probably close to 3 carats, which means $$$$$

S

SparkliesLuver

As asscher cut blue sapphire is on my list as well, albeit not for an engagement ring. :) They're very hard to find, for the many reasons Chrono listed. Would you mind sharing your budget and time frame? I came across a piece of rough suitable for cutting an asscher, that I think would be to die for, but it's high four figures. A 7-8mm stone is on the larger side, especially for that particular cut, so it will be deep.

ETA: Forgot I came across this Montana sapphire the other day:

2.64ct, 6.9mm
Deep cornflower blue
Heated
Looks to have some silk but otherwise clean
If you're interested, I'd ask for more pictures
$2,100
http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_53_61&products_id=1349

sam_4399.jpg

LekiliRN

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your responses.

Chronos: Yes, everything you delineated is what I am finding in my research. And, the fact that they are such a deep stone and face up so small is why I don't want an asscher diamond. Well, that's not entirely true, lol...I'd love a 2-3 carat one that does really show the intricate details, but alas, that is definitely NOT in the budget! I didn't realize that cut would make the stone appear darker...definitely something to think about as well. I have a setting picked out. He's buying that, while I'm researching/buying the stone, since I love to research almost anything, and I'm fascinated by all things sparkly/gem like! LOL However, I didn't think about the depth of the stone, just the overall mm size, so yes, also something to consider. FWIW, it's a split shank, sort of cut corner halo setting.

SparkliesLuver: That is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing...until getting on here, I had no idea there even was such a thing as a Montana sapphire, and I do like them and look at the GemFix website often. I live in San Diego...I should just make an appointment and go see some of his beautiful Montana's! I wish I had a use for that asscher beauty! I don't really have a hard budget, but ideally, I'd like to keep it to $5000 at the most.

I think I'm going to have to face the fact that I'm either going to have to go the lab-grown route (in order to get the size and color I love) or rethink things. I do also love a square cushion cut, and I think that would also look really nice in the setting we have chosen. Plus, there are a lot more of those available. I've read that blue spinel is often mistaken for sapphire...maybe more research is in order!

Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if you go with the lab route, you will most likely need a custom setting. If you think that a diamond asscher is deep, a CS asscher is even deeper if cut to the correct angles. It is very common to have an 80% depth or sometimes even 90% depth. Even though a spinel is less expensive, they rarely come in large sizes, tend to not be suited for an asscher shape and very few blues are good enough to rival a sapphire.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I have a blue asscher sapphire ring bezel set in platinum. It was made by Catherin Iskiw. The sapphire is approximately 1 carat. This pic isn't the best, but you get the idea!

ci_rhr_.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A compromise possibly of an emerald cut? Maybe a square that's not step cut?

Smaller size?

Different color sapphire (I assume it has to be blue but just an idea as there's a lovely pink spinel on LAD)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asschers are truly beautiful, but I too, would question whether you want a sapphire in the color range and tone you've mentioned cut as an asscher. To see all the beautiful windmills, steps and angles in an asscher requires material that is fairly light in color; my concern is that you would miss a lot of the detail in an asscher cut due to the darker tone you describe seeking.

S

SparkliesLuver

minousbijoux said:
Asschers are truly beautiful, but I too, would question whether you want a sapphire in the color range and tone you've mentioned cut as an asscher. To see all the beautiful windmills, steps and angles in an asscher requires material that is fairly light in color; my concern is that you would miss a lot of the detail in an asscher cut due to the darker tone you describe seeking.

Sort of like the picture I posted above, minousbijoux.

However, this color would probably be more suitable for an asscher cut:

_32632.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1437656377|3906449 said:
minousbijoux said:

Sort of like the picture I posted above, minousbijoux.

However, this color would probably be more suitable for an asscher cut:

Yes, and yes! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results