shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine for my something blue

Rebecca0388

Rough_Rock
I would really like to buy very pale aquamarine earrings for my something blue on my wedding day. My only problem is since I was little i have never had much luck with piercings. Whenever I wear earring my ears sting and go really red. When I was little my mum tried everything and even when I would only wear gold it would eat away at the back of my ears.

I have a few questions I know other people have this problem and I wonder if wearing platinum earrings has solved the problem??

I will most probably end up going with clip ons does anyone have recommendations on where to buy/have made nice clip on earrings?

If this fails i would also love to buy an oval aquamarine to wear as a RHR. But I'm not sure if this would take away the focus from my new wedding band that I will be wearing :loopy:

My budget is around $300.

Gabriellehb

Rough_Rock
I have a sensitivity to nickel so I cant wear much costume jewellery. I stopped wearing earrings nearly 30 years ago but tried again recently. I can wear yellow gold and rose gold, sterling silver and platinum. White gold is a no-no, there is a formulation where no nickel is used but from what I've seen I would have to get it specially made. If you have a nickel allergy like me you would get irritation from the studs in jeans, as well as coins in your pockets.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first had my ears pierced, I could not wear anything other than very pure gold, meaning 22kt only. Once it was fully healed, I was able to wear 14k gold. Have you tried stainless steel, argentine silver or platinum yet? For most people, the nickle in white gold is the culprit for skin reactions. If you don't know whether you have tried those other metals, how about getting small plain studs to see if your skin reacts to them before going for gemstone earrings?

Have you ever tried clip earrings? I find them very uncomfortable and if you have a skin reaction to studs, I'm guessing you will also have a skin reaction to clip ons since the metal is still touching your skin. Do you experience the same sensitivity wearing a WG ring?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like Chrono said, if it is a metal allergy, then clip-ons might actually make it worse. Perhaps french hooks, to minimize contact with metal?

Platinum, palladium, titanium and niobium are a lot less allergenic. If you go for dangles, you can have only the hooks made of those and the rest of whatever metal you prefer, as it won't touch the skin. If you want a post or stud, though, there is always the front of the earring to consider as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1382971839|3546117 said:
Platinum, palladium, titanium and niobium are a lot less allergenic.

Titanium is also very cost effective if you're on a budget.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
My nickel allergy only affects my pierced ears - WG and other metals don't irritate my skin at all. I've had no problem wearing stainless steel jewelry in my piercings. Now that I think of it I wore 14k rose gold earrings on my wedding day and those didn't bother me either.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have pierced ears and I have two pairs of "real" jewelry clip ons-- one is a true clip on, the other are screw backs. I got them both at a jeweler named Ehrlooms in Chicago.

I have no problem wearing either of my fancy clip ons. They work if they fit well. The vast majority of people have pierced ears out there so you will get a lot of questions/flack like "why would you want clip ons???" Both mine are converted pairs that were originally for pierced ears.

My true clip ons were originally french clips and I wore them all day on my wedding and had absolutely no discomfort. Both my sisters had screwback non pierced and if you screw them to the right tightness they don't hurt either.

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
I have metal allergies too. They've gotten better overtime but I still itch every time I wear them. So I just save my itchy earrings for when I'm going out. If I try to wear them everyday my ears swell and (not to be gross) will start to ooze. I do not have that problem with platinum posts though. If I could afford it I'd only have platinum jewelry.

As for clipons, they will also cause problems. All my regular gold and silver jewelry causes problems, not just my earrings. I also can't wear stainless steel. When I wear pendants I'll sometimes develop rashes on my chest, same with rings and bracelets. The only thing that doesn't bother me that I wear everyday or almost everyday is my wedding bands (platinum) and my Pandora. I have no clue what the Pandora doesn't cause issue as I often have problems with silver, but it doesn't. I know they have some blue cabachon studs (or at least they used to) maybe you could try them?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results