shape
carat
color
clarity

Acrostic - stuck for stone names

Ezzer2002

Rough_Rock
Evening folks,

As a long-term lurker, I've finally gotten completely stuck with my research and feel the time has come to throw myself on the kindness of strangers.

Indeed, there is now an element of urgency - time is running out to get stones to the jeweler i've commissioned to make a pre-engagement ring for me........

So, the design i have come up with is an acrostic, whereby the ring consists of six stones, the names or colours of which begin with the following sequence of letters: TTTLOL.

An example of the style can be seen in the attachment:

Importantly, to ensure that the design is light and delicate looking, i think the stones need to measure less than 4 mm - the less the better really, as long as they can still be bright and visible. They will be set in 22ct gold.

So far, after hours of research, all I can come up with are Tsavorite Garnets, and Tanzanites – and I am stuck for anything faceted or brilliant/round that begins with an L or an O.......

I'm willing to take a pretty flexible geological approach in terms of group names (Orthcolase etc) and alternative names (Citrine aka Lemon Quartz), but i'm still stuck for ideas.

Another option seems to be coloured diamonds, but I’m not a big fan of artificial ones, and I don’t suppose I’ll get a wide enough range of colours without using this approach.

So, does anyone here have any suggestions about how to resolve this apparent impasse? Hope so!

Ezzer

P.S - It's a "pre-engagement" because i don't trust myself to chose the big one alone - if i get that far. This approach also gives me a bit more time to sell stuff to pay for it......

_14795.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Leuco garnet
opal
orthoclase

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I got a little creative, how bout:

Tsav
Tourmaline
Tanzanite
Loliondo spess
Oregon sunstone
L colored diamond

If you want variation in color you can go for a pink tourmaline and one of the redder Oregon sunstones :)

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Don't forget topaz, tourmaline, or topazolite garnet (though these might be hard to set in that style, if I understand right. There are some on the demantoid page on litnon)

Can't think of any L's....

O's... maybe "olivine" (aka peridot)?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
T = tanzanite, tourmaline, tsavorite, turquoise, topaz,
O = opal, onyx, orthoclase
L = lapis lazuli, labradorite

Ezzer2002

Rough_Rock
Hi,

First up, i really cannot thank you guys enough for your suggestions. At this stage, feeling like there's someone else i can talk to about this feels fantastic.

A few points that arise from your comments:

1. I love the leuco garnet, but cannot find anyone selling it - any suggestions?

2. Is it correct that Lolindo Spessarite comes mainly from litnon? I've emailed to ask about their stock, but can't see anyone else.

3. Is it right that lapis lazuli, labradorite or opal can not be facet cut? If so, do folks agree that it would look odd to mix some faceted stones with smooth round ones?

Thanks ever ever ever so much

Ezzer

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Much Opal can be faceted
Lapis and labradorite can be faceted but will still be opaque.
Liliondo is a place where some spessartite is found. Litnon has some, others may as well. Though the find has been quite played out and producing lesser stones than before.
Leuco Garnet is rare, will take some searching. Perhaps an email to Brad Payne of thegemtrader.com would be helpful on that; he has had some in the past

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TTTLOL:

T: Tanzanite, topaz, turquoise, tourmaline
L: Lapis lazulim, labradorite
O: Opal, onyx

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Ezzer2002|1392148997|3612985 said:
Hi,
3. Is it right that lapis lazuli, labradorite or opal can not be facet cut? If so, do folks agree that it would look odd to mix some faceted stones with smooth round ones?

These can all be faceted, but are usually not as they are not transparent enough to reflect light back out, which is the goal of facets.

If you want a uniform look, you could get cabochons for all of the stones.

If you want faceted opal, Bob Sivinski has faceted welo opals in the past, and they look fantastic. Just bear in mind that opals are soft for a ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results