shape
carat
color
clarity

26.04ct. Alexandrite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

norman_in_L.A.

Rough_Rock
Recently a client brought in an Alexandrite & Diamond Ring for an insurance appraisal. This Alexandrite is so unique that we sent it to GIA to get a Lab Report. It is 26.04ct.

26.04ct. Alexandrite.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW! I wonder if its real!!! Let us know how that follows through! The largest natural one I have is .4ct, and it hardly changes colors. Very neat.

norman_in_L.A.

Rough_Rock
We got the Alexandrite back a few days ago with the GIA Lab Report. We issued the appraisal today. The color change is really unique!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And its actual alexandrite not synthetic?!?! Holy cow!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness me! What an Alex!!!

May I ask if the origin has been identified? The colour (not that you can really tell anything about an Alex from photos!) is reminescent of the stones that came out of Tanzania.

norman_in_L.A.

Rough_Rock
The client was not interested in having the Alex tested for origin. They were however looking for a specific color combination to fit into their collection.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
WOW!

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge, what is the color change, brown to mauve? It''s difficult to tell by the pictures.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 7:51:56 PM
Author: norman_in_L.A.
The client was not interested in having the Alex tested for origin. They were however looking for a specific color combination to fit into their collection.
33.gif
I''m astonished!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Dang, that''s amazing. Can you tell us what a ballpark figure is for something like that, or is that against the rules?

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Norman, that''s a very impressive piece. Assuming your client gave you permission to post photos of the ring, could you also tell what you appraised this at?

I imagine that origin is quite important in appraisal. Could you tell us how the lack of information on origin affected your appraisal? How different would the value be if it were certified as Russian alexandrite?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Cool color change and what a huge stone.

norman_in_L.A.

Rough_Rock
We have permission to post the photograph, but not the appraised value. Sometimes just getting permission to publish the photograph is difficult.

As far as information on the origin of the Alex, it reminds us of stones that we have seen from Sri Lanka. In the past we have seen origin Reports from GIA for this type of stone and they were somewhat vague. We could have sent it
to The Gübelin Lab, in Switzerland but the client was not interested in doing so. The color combination for this Alex is not consistent with the type of material that comes from Russia. A Russian Alex of this size would have a pedigree, & would demand a premium. Alex''s from other areas have not yet created such a demand.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing this stone and information. Very neat!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results